Names for new Targaryens

Lord Varys

Since there is a lot of discussion how Jon Snow's 'true name' is going to be (not 'Aegon Targaryen, very likely Aemon or Jaehaerys Targaryen; possibly even Rhaegar or Daeron Targaryen) I was wondering whether anyone has ever thought how any children by Jon and Dany - or by Dany and other husbands/fathers - might be named? And, of course, how Prince Aegon might name any children by Arianne (or any other wife he might have) he might father before/after he rises to the Iron Throne?

Dany and Jon could likely name a girl after Lyanna and a boy after Rhaegar. Dany has little reason to honor her father by naming a child after him. Point against that could be the fact that she already had a Rhaego - but then, he wasn't a Rhaegar, so...

Aegon might honor his own sire, too, in his son, giving us another potential Rhaegar. If he and Elia were to have a daughter she could become an Elia Targaryen. 

If Dany turns out to be barren until the inevitable 'miracle child' by Jon chances wouldn't be that bad that Aegon's son (say, a Rhaegar) would be her presumptive heir even after Aegon had been exposed and/or put down. In the end, a child by Arianne and Aegon could actually become heir to/ruler of Sunspear as a Rhaegar or Elia Martell if Doran and Trystane were to die - not necessarily a bad plot development.

If a son by Arianne/Aegon were to be born in the midst of the Second Dance and Arianne gets really angry during the war I could be seeing her naming her son Viserys, to honor the brother Dany allegedly deliberately and cruelly got murdered (and consort Arianne could thus never wed). That could be not uninteresting.

Any thoughts on the matter.

Oh, and I'd like to get some twins - either from Jon/Dany or Aegon/Arianne.

On 4/22/2019 at 5:16 AM, Lord Varys said:

Since there is a lot of discussion how Jon Snow's 'true name' is going to be (not 'Aegon Targaryen, very likely Aemon or Jaehaerys Targaryen; possibly even Rhaegar or Daeron Targaryen)

Did Lyanna or Ned bother to give him one?

If I had to I would go for Viserys, Valarr or Visenys. Jon was supposed to be a Visenya and this would be sort of a "loving the name John, having a girl, naming it Joanna" scenario.

could likely name a girl after Lyanna

If he and Elia were to have a daughter she could become an Elia Targaryen. 

I don't feel we will get another "common-named" Targaryen. Dany would name her child Rhaella in honor of her mother. For Arianne don't know: I could imagine Daenerys for the first Targ-Martell wedding but when a second DoD happens a very bad choice. Maybe Rhaenys for Eggs killed sister.

Dany has little reason to honor her father by naming a child after him. Point against that could be the fact that she already had a Rhaego - but then, he wasn't a Rhaegar, so...

I think it would be really akward to name another child after Rhaegar after what happened to the first child who was named after him.

Also I could totally see Daenarys naming the child after the father even though Jon won't be happy with that.

What about Aemon? 

Aegon might honor his own sire, too, in his son, giving us another potential Rhaegar.

If everybody would honor their sires we would have at least Aegon the twelfth.

If a son by Arianne/Aegon were to be born in the midst of the Second Dance and Arianne gets really angry during the war I could be seeing her naming her son Viserys, to honor the brother Dany allegedly deliberately and cruelly got murdered (and consort Arianne could thus never wed). That could be not uninteresting.

This would be awesome. 

My second choices would be:

Baelor to please the High Septon

Jahaerys fitting in the DoD theme

Daeron the first targaryen Martell-Groom

I think Rhaegar thought that the child with Lyanna would be female and thus her name would be Visenya or a variation of that.

Aegon is another stupid spin of the show, among countless more.

As for AU you propose. Variations if Raella, Ned, Rhaegar, Aemon and Lyanna would be among the choices for Jon and Dany.

For Aegon and Arianne, I think Dareon and Baleor are sensible choices

I'm not sure what Jon's true name could be, though my best guess would be Aemon. I honestly think I'd prefer never to find out his real name. 

If Jon had a son I imagine he'd name him Aemon, since Maester Aemon is the only Targaryen he knows/knew before Daenerys, and he played a big part in his life, so it would make sense to want to honor him. In his childhood Jon was also a huge fan of Daeron the Young Dragon, so he could name his son after him, I suppose it depends on how willing he is to piss off the Dornish. 

I could see either Daenerys or Aegon naming their child Rhaegar, after their brother and father. It would be somewhat ironic if Aegon named his son Daemon. If the sparrows are still a thing I could see Aegon naming his son Baelor to try and please them. 

If Daenerys had a daughter I could see her naming her Rhaella after her mother, or Rhaenyra after the first Queen of the Seven Kingdoms. 

18 hours ago, Karneol said:

Did Lyanna or Ned bother to give him one?

Perhaps not. Perhaps he truly is 'Jon Targaryen' after all ;-).

If I had to I would go for Viserys, Valarr or Visenys. Jon was supposed to be a Visenya and this would be sort of a "loving the name John, having a girl, naming it Joanna" scenario.

Not sure that Rhaegar ever believed Jon was supposed to be a girl. Although I doubt there would have been yet another Viserys for a boy. A girl could have been a Visenya, though, a name Lyanna may have liked, too.

I don't feel we will get another "common-named" Targaryen.

Oh, I don't buy that. Neither Jon nor Dany grew up as Targaryens at court. They are not exactly all that familiar with their family history. Aegon might be, though, so his children could get traditional Targaryen names.

Dany would name her child Rhaella in honor of her mother.

Perhaps. But she doesn't have any connection to her, so...

For Arianne don't know: I could imagine Daenerys for the first Targ-Martell wedding but when a second DoD happens a very bad choice. Maybe Rhaenys for Eggs killed sister.

Rhaenys could make as much sense as Elia, I guess.

I think it would be really akward to name another child after Rhaegar after what happened to the first namesake.

But they do name people after great ancestors and all. It seems as if pretty much all the Blackfyres were named after Daemon I, who also died in battle.

What about Aemon? 

Aemon could work - but only if Jon actually isn't named Aemon himself. Then this would be odd. Then they could choose Jaehaerys.

If everybody would honor their sires we would have at least Aegon the twelfth.

This would be awesome. 

My second choices would be:

Baelor to please the High Septon

Jahaerys fitting in the DoD theme

Daeron the first targaryen Martell-Groom

A Daeron would work in any scenario considering that there are two kings of that name. A warrior and a man of peace.

17 hours ago, rotting sea cow said:

As for AU you propose. Variations if Raella, Ned, Rhaegar, Aemon and Lyanna would be among the choices for Jon and Dany.

Ned and Lyanna would also be interesting names for children of Jon and Dany's, yes, although it seems more likely to me they would honor the part of the family they are personally more connected with - i.e. Lyanna, perhaps, and/or Rhaegar himself. I doubt Dany is going to learn all that much about Ned in the books to come.

4 hours ago, Denam_Pavel said:

Jon might name his first son Aemon after Maester Aemon. Aegon might go with Daemon for his heir once he learns and embraces who he really is. Maybe even Aegor. 

If Aegon ever learned who he truly is he can never publicly reveal that - or else they will drag him out of Maegor's Holdfast and throw him into the dry moat. Still he could name a son Daemon, although here I'm more convinced he would pick either Rhaegar, Elia, or even Viserys to connect himself more strongly to his immediate ancestors (or, as I said above, to point the finger at Dany).

I could see Arianne either already having children or about to give birth by the time the Second Dance starts - and then Aegon having heirs of his own body might actually become a not irrelevant plot point in light of Dany's actual or supposed barrenness. If she had multiple consorts/paramours by that point - either at the same time or consecutively - people might start to notice that she never gets pregnant.

29 minutes ago, Euron III Greyjoy said:

I could see either Daenerys or Aegon naming their child Rhaegar, after their brother and father. It would be somewhat ironic if Aegon named his son Daemon. If the sparrows are still a thing I could see Aegon naming his son Baelor to try and please them. 

The Baelor name is no bad idea, either. That could work if the Faith is really needed by the time the child is born.

29 minutes ago, Euron III Greyjoy said:

If Daenerys had a daughter I could see her naming her Rhaella after her mother, or Rhaenyra after the first Queen of the Seven Kingdoms. 

I'd like to see another Rhaenyra, but I think that would only make sense if Dany were to give birth at the beginning or in the middle of the Second Dance. 

3 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

If Aegon ever learned who he truly is he can never publicly reveal that - or else they will drag him out of Maegor's Holdfast and throw him into the dry moat. Still he could name a son Daemon, although here I'm more convinced he would pick either Rhaegar, Elia, or even Viserys to connect himself more strongly to his immediate ancestors (or, as I said above, to point the finger at Dany).

Whose they? I'll remind you that the Golden Company aren't just sellswords like they are for Cersei in the show. They are Bittersteel's company and he is bringing them home. They aren't leaving. Neither are their elephants. The public of KL already believe that Rhaegar's kid is dead and are perfectly happy to cheer for the monster that did it at a tourney. Even after the Mountain bragged about it in front of an audience, it didn't really matter. Not to the public, not to the Lords of Westeros. It's been a long time since anyone cared about Rhaegar's legacy. Of the Targaryan loyalists most the people of Dragonstone are with Stannis, most of the men of the Reach are with Tommen and Jon C will die of greyscale soon.

For a hypothetical child of Jon and Dany, I would go with Visenya. It is fitting on Jon's side of things given his deceased half-siblings, Rhaenys and Aegon, and on Dany's side, it is a homage to Viserys -- and she named her first child after Rhaegar; it would be more fitting to name the second after Viserys. 

I believe that Visenya was actually Rhaegar's intended name for his child with Elia, actually, thinking he might have to have a girl to recreate the Conqueror and his wives (backwards, for some reason). And that his view of prophecy was inaccurate, and that he didn't expect a boy. But that's just my own speculation and Visenya is fitting nonetheless.

And for a boy, well, maybe Daeron as Jon idealised the conquests of the Young Dragon, and Daenerys is a conqueror herself (besides, Daeron is probably the most fitting male name to name her own child after herself). 

19 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Perhaps. But she doesn't have any connection to her, so...

Hadn't Viserys always praised their mother to the skies 24/7? Even though Viserys isn't a reliable source he had and has great impact on Dany's views.

19 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

But they do name people after great ancestors and all. It seems as if pretty much all the Blackfyres were named after Daemon I, who also died in battle.

Sorry I meant the first child who was named after Rhaegar. Should look up the meaning of a word if I'm not 100% sure. Going to edit it.

Jon would choose names from people he loved or were important to his life: EddardEddara, Robb/Roberta, Aemon/Aemma, Lyanna.

Daenerys would choose typical Targaryen names to underline she is the true Targaryen and not fAegon: Aegon, Visenya, Rhaenys. It is possible she names her daughters after women who were influential: Rhaenyra, Alysanne, Rhaenys, Visenya.

Aegon would try to underline his heritage from Rhaegar and Dorne: Rhaegar, Elia, Rhaenys, Baelor (after Baelor the Blessed), Daeron (after Daeron II)

16 hours ago, Denam_Pavel said:

Whose they? I'll remind you that the Golden Company aren't just sellswords like they are for Cersei in the show. They are Bittersteel's company and he is bringing them home. They aren't leaving. Neither are their elephants. The public of KL already believe that Rhaegar's kid is dead and are perfectly happy to cheer for the monster that did it at a tourney. Even after the Mountain bragged about it in front of an audience, it didn't really matter. Not to the public, not to the Lords of Westeros. It's been a long time since anyone cared about Rhaegar's legacy. Of the Targaryan loyalists most the people of Dragonstone are with Stannis, most of the men of the Reach are with Tommen and Jon C will die of greyscale soon.

Oh, meant the collective of the lords and knights and the Faith and the sparrows of the Seven Kingdoms who will declare for him and help him take the throne because they believe he is Rhaegar's son. The Golden Company wouldn't have that great of an issue with it, but even they wouldn't want him to publicly communicate his true parentage/identity. Strickland might know who he actually is but he might it crystal clear that they need to be seen as Targaryens (back in ADwD via the Dany marriage) or they will eventually fail.

10 hours ago, Vaith said:

For a hypothetical child of Jon and Dany, I would go with Visenya. It is fitting on Jon's side of things given his deceased half-siblings, Rhaenys and Aegon, and on Dany's side, it is a homage to Viserys -- and she named her first child after Rhaegar; it would be more fitting to name the second after Viserys.

Visenya is a very uncommon/rare Targaryen name. Visenya is not exactly popular with the descendants of King Aenys. Rhaenyra only named her stillborn daughter Visenya. I'm not so sure a living daughter would have gotten that name.

I really don't think anyone ever had the intention of reusing that name again. Not Rhaegar and nobody in the future. It would make more sense to honor some people either of them knew.

1 hour ago, Lynesse said:

Should Arianne give FAegon a child, I could totally see her naming a girl Nymeria.

I'm more in the Elia camp here, honoring a Martell she actually knew.

51 minutes ago, Karneol said:

Hadn't Viserys always praised their mother to the skies 24/7? Even though Viserys isn't a reliable source he had and has great impact on Dany's views.

Yeah, taking it from that view Rhaella would be a possibility. Although basically all the Rhae-names seem to be ultimately references to Rhaenys, so a Rhaenys, Rhaenyra, Rhaelle, Rhae, Rhaena, etc. could all also be a nod to Rhaella even if they were choosing one of the other names. Same with Rhaegar

51 minutes ago, Karneol said:

Sorry I meant the first child who was named after Rhaegar. Should look up the meaning of a word if I'm not 100% sure. Going to edit it.

Rhaegar simply is one of the most important Targaryens for Dany, Jon, and Aegon, making it pretty likely that they would reference his name in any of the children.

20 minutes ago, Endymion I Targaryen said:

Jon would choose names from people he loved or were important to his life: EddardEddara, Robb/Roberta, Aemon/Aemma, Lyanna.

Can see variations of Eddard for a child of Jon's, but not Robb - Robb was named after Robert, and Robert killed Jon's father.

Becoming a true Targaryen and accepting his actual identity could also get him into exploring his paternal ancestry some more. After all, in the end the truth means Jon is never going to get what he wanted - be the Lord of Winterfell and the trueborn son of his adoptive father. He is never going to be a Stark. They will remain his family, of course, but there is going to be more distance than there were while they all believed they were half-siblings.

Daenerys would choose typical Targaryen names to underline she is the true Targaryen and not fAegon: Aegon, Visenya, Rhaenys. It is possible she names her daughters after women who were influential: Rhaenyra, Alysanne, Rhaenys, Visenya.

Could be that Dany would name a son 'Aegon' - as a stab against the fake/false Aegon. This could be another hint to the historical Dance since Rhaenyra's Aegon was also a stab against Alicent's Aegon. But this would only make sense if she had such a child while she was still fighting things out with Aegon. Or not. They could also decide Aegon was a great name after everything is said and done.

Aegon would try to underline his heritage from Rhaegar and Dorne: Rhaegar, Elia, Rhaenys, Baelor (after Baelor the Blessed), Daeron (after Daeron II)

Yeah, my best guesses are Rhaegar and Elia here. Don't think they will have more than two children (and that only if Arianne were going to give birth to twins.

I don't see Jon or Dany picking traditional Targaryen names. Dany didn't know her parents at all. Her only connection to the Targaryens was through Viserys. We see how she named her kid by Drogo. She chose to honor her eldest brother about whom she had heard stories, but she chose a Dothraki sounding name. I don't know what that means for her future children but we could get more outside the box names.

As for Jon, he has no idea of his Targaryen heritage. He's not going to suddenly grasp for Targaryen names for his kids. I don't see him losing his connection to the North if he were to find out he's actually a secret son of Rhaegar. He'll choose Northern names I should think - we'll have a Brandon Targaryen. Or maybe he'll name a son for Benjen.

The thing is Aegon also seems like he was raised without strong connections to the Targaryen traditions and without knowing his father at all. We see that the last time an Aegon spent significant time away from home, he named his first son Duncan. So I think for Aegon, we're as likely to get a son named Rolly as one named Rhaegar.

9 hours ago, Frey family reunion said:

I’d go with Daario if it’s a boy (chances are it might be his kid anyway) and Samantha if it’s a girl (or maybe Satina).  

I get why she would choose Daario but how do you get to Samantha?

I hope Aegon names his daughter Elia or Rhaenys but I don't want him choose Rhaegar for his son since doesn't seem to care about Rhaegar much? Griff or Jon would be my choices for his son but I wouldn't say no to Valarr or Maekar too - Gaemon and Daemion are my choices if choose a Targaryen names they weren't used by any Targaryen King but there were Lords with those names before Aegon I.

Aemon/Aemma would be an ideal name for a Jon/Dany child.  It's a traditional Targ name, but it also honors someone that Jon knew, respected and protected.

I just see one problem.  Targs  don't seem to go for "Juniors ",  I can't think of a single time a Targ parent named a child after themselves.  For some reason I have it in my head that Jon's Targ name is Aemon.  I don't have a reason just a feeling.  So that would rule out Aemon/Aemma

On 4/21/2019 at 11:16 PM, Lord Varys said:

Dany and Jon could likely name a girl after Lyanna and a boy after Rhaegar. Dany has little reason to honor her father by naming a child after him. Point against that could be the fact that she already had a Rhaego - but then, he wasn't a Rhaegar, so...

This makes me think of something I noticed when I was reading the tvtropes page about the Targaryen family names it went essentially like this: 

Aegon: None are the first in line to rule when they were born. (Aegon II was behind Rhaenyra by decree, Aegon III had brothers, a mother, a father, and multiple uncles, Aegon IV was behind his father and Aegon III's kids, Aegon V etc.) The ones that are die bloody deaths (Uncrowned, J&A's kid, etc.) 

Vis- Overshadowed, Visenya was overshadowed by Rhaenys, Viserys was overshadowed by Jaehaerys, Viserys I was over shadowed by the Dance, Viserys II was overshadowed by his brother, nephews, and son, Viserys III was overshadowed by Dany etc.) 

Rhae- Rhae's suffer, from Rhaenys to Rhaegel to Rhaella to Rhaegar. 

Bae- Beloved (Baelon, Breakspear, Blessed) 

Daeron, Daemon, Daenaerys - Varies 

One of the things I've noticed besides these things is how much we need a High Valyrian primer for these names, since so many of them contain -aerys in some form or another, it would be pretty hard not to name a kid after Dany's dad. I also feel like there's a huge conversation Jon and Dany need to have about her unhealthy view of the political realities of Westeros, and I feel that that conversation might end with more non-standard Valyrian names entering into the royal family. 

Despite this, Aemon is the front runner for the next name thanks to Maester Aemon and Jon's love of the Dragonknight

Archived