The most tearful reunion... was a bit strange.

Out of all the combinations... Arya/Jon, Sansa/Jon, Jon/Bran, Bran/Arya etc... some of which hadn't seen each other in years.

Sansa and Theon were the only ones brought to tears upon reuniting and they had reunited no so long ago.. I wasn't expecting them to be as emotional to see each other going by the lack of emotion with all the other reunions.

At the moment when it happened, imo it was to show the difference between Dany and Sansa. Dany is confused of Sansa showing so much public affection towards Theon. The family matters, the oaths kept are valued. It puzzles Dany how Sansa can first agree with her about Jaime and then change her mind because someone she trusts with her life vouches for another, like Brienne did with Jaime.

We need Jorah to remind us that Dany has a soft side, but she doesn't trust in using it. She can't rule with the heart. She doesn't really have "her people" as subordinates like the North is all about protecting their own. Dany has mainly conquered people on her side with fear and force. Even the discussion between Missandei and Greyworm tells us that even though Dany would continue as a ruler after the events, they would leave her.

1 hour ago, StoneColdJorahMormont said:

Out of all the combinations... Arya/Jon, Sansa/Jon, Jon/Bran, Bran/Arya etc... some of which hadn't seen each other in years.

Sansa and Theon were the only ones brought to tears upon reuniting and they had reunited no so long ago.. I wasn't expecting them to be as emotional to see each other going by the lack of emotion with all the other reunions.

The emotion of Theon and Sansa on seeing each other again did not surprise me.  Not only had they both been Ramsey's tortured playthings; they had escaped together, Theon had saved Sansa's life and nearly died for her; but when they parted, Theon was headed away from Sansa with very little chance of ever seeing them.  I think Theon means a lot to Sansa, though not as a love interest; he's like a long-lost brother to her.  I wonder what Bran will think of Theon's return; given that Bran saw Theon brutally execute the old armsmaster of Winterfell...

8 minutes ago, Raksha 2014 said:

The emotion of Theon and Sansa on seeing each other again did not surprise me.  Not only had they both been Ramsey's tortured playthings; they had escaped together, Theon had saved Sansa's life and nearly died for her; but when they parted, Theon was headed away from Sansa with very little chance of ever seeing them.  I think Theon means a lot to Sansa, though not as a love interest; he's like a long-lost brother to her.  I wonder what Bran will think of Theon's return; given that Bran saw Theon brutally execute the old armsmaster of Winterfell...

I total get it and believe it should have been written just the way it was, but I also think it then highlights the lack of emotion in just about every other reunion that should have been equally as tearful/full of emotion if not more being as some of them haven't seen each other for years and are full blood relations.

Jon and Arya was to be the biggest one on most peoples lists and it was filled with jokes and a decent hug, I would expect a tear at a least considering for a good part of the journey they both weren't sure if either one was alive.. be it a tear of happiness or just relief.

Again I have no issue with the Sansa and Theon scene it was the most realistic of all the reunion scenes I just felt it highlighted how poor all the others had been.

It was perfectly executed scene. In less than a minute, we went from official greeting to Dany to emotional hug with Sansa. If Dany needed any reminder that she is a stranger, after the love and affection those two showed for each other, she doesn't need it anymore.

Several years ago, in Seasons 5 and 6, we all spoke how great Sophie and Alphie are together on screen. They have that "sibling" chemistry and that silent battlement scene warmed our hearts. This episode had many emotional moments, but for me the two of them really reached emotional crescendo of the episode.

3 hours ago, StoneColdJorahMormont said:

ut I also think it then highlights the lack of emotion in just about every other reunion that should have been equally as tearful/full of emotion

Yes, E1 many nice reunions were just too rushed and lacked emotions. Better one less and a little bit more time. E1 was much worse than E2.

I think part of what made it so emotional was the reason Theon was there.  Him admitting that he is there to fight alongside the Starks is what prompts Sansa to run over and hug him.  It seemed like she was going to try to do a more reserved greeting, considering she let him and Dany talk for a bit before speaking up herself.  But when he said that, her cold veneer was broken and she acted without thinking.  Something we don't see very often from Sansa these days.

Just now, Nerevanin said:

Someone remind me, did Sansa know that Theon was alive?

I think we don't know.

Theon and Sansa separated after escaping from Ramsay. Later, Jon met Theon on Dragonstone. So he could have told that Sansa. 

4 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

I think we don't know.

Theon and Sansa separated after escaping from Ramsay. Later, Jon met Theon on Dragonstone. So he could have told that Sansa. 

Yeah, I thought that they might have been told "off screen" but this was the first time they were absolutely certain the other one is alive.

3 hours ago, Bran Snow said:

How about the look Dany gave when Theon (who was swore to Dany) said he was there to fight for Sansa. Damn.

Tehnically he said he "wanted to fight for Winterfell" and not "wanted to fight for Sansa", even if the implication is there.

As for Daenerys look, I thought she mostly looked puzzled, probably surprised at seeing that Sansa has softer side as she ran up and hugged Theon. 

I think Theon and Sansa are bonded in a way that she is not bonded with her blood siblings, because of the trauma they experienced together.  So to me, the very warm welcome was not a surprise.  I do agree that it highlighted the more poorly done reunions with the siblings in Ep 1.  

I agree with those who have said that Daenerys is meant to appear to be very much on the outside.  I think the loyalty that the people have for the north and the Starks is something she doesn't quite understand and may even be envious of.  She has great power and ability to command fear (enjoying her dragons swooping over the people and sending them scurrying), but I think she has little of that love and loyalty.  Even from Grey Worm and Missandei, some of her supposedly most loyal, there seems to be less love (though I do think their conversation about leaving was out of character, but I'm just talking about what the show is trying to say about Sansa/The North vs Daenerys/her conquest for the IT). 

It makes sense to me. They're bonded in a way she's not by anyone else. He's the only other person who truly understands what she's been through due to Ramsay and she was also the one who brought him back from the edge. 

Not to mention, Theon was the first truly consensual physical contact she'd had in years. Like, seriously. That hug in Season 6 when they were under the tree roots was probably the first actually consensual physical contact Sansa had had since she went to King's Landing and you can see it on her face, the relief.

So they definitely have an incredibly deep bond. 

2 hours ago, MinscS2 said:

Tehnically he said he "wanted to fight for Winterfell" and not "wanted to fight for Sansa", even if the implication is there.

As for Daenerys look, I thought she mostly looked puzzled, probably surprised at seeing that Sansa has softer side as she ran up and hugged Theon. 

Theon said also, if lady Sansa will accept her. I thought Dany was not pleased to see Sansa treated as the leader there, not her.

Yes, it was one of the most tear jerking moments, though Jon/Sansa reunion was also very intense taking into account that they haven's shared moments together and didn't really like each other as children. 

The final moments (with a song) showing Sansa and Theon sharing food are very touching and comforting. They're bonded in a very special way but not only because of the Ramsay experience, but their whole life journeys. Both of them were taken from their families, were hostages (though Theon's treatment by Starks was much better than Sansa's in the KL), both of them turned against their families and paid a big price for it.

Archived