The most tearful reunion... was a bit strange.

As much as I loved Jaime and Brienne's scenes, the reunion between Sansa and Theon was my favorite part of the episode as well. There was just something so lovely and so moving about it. I'm not sure how to characterize Sansa and Theon's bond, but it definitely appears deeper than just friendship.

Sadly, I have a feeling that next episode will probably by Theon's last. Maybe they'll really gut us by having Sansa there when he dies. 

There's a lot between them. They shared the trauma of Ramsay and both are very scarred (literally and figuratively) in a painful and intimate fashion. There hasn't been much overt comment on Sansa's sexual trauma, but I realize after watching the episode that it would have been very inappropriate for Sansa to hop in the sack with someone like Arya did. And very appropriate that she finds most comfort in a castrated Theon.

7 hours ago, Deminelle said:

Theon said also, if lady Sansa will accept her. I thought Dany was not pleased to see Sansa treated as the leader there, not her.

He wasn't asking to be let into the battle he was being let back "home" /accepted into the family. That's up to Sansa, as the eldest Stark. (I think even jon wouldve confirmed with her before giving the ok welcome back)

18 hours ago, Raksha 2014 said:

The emotion of Theon and Sansa on seeing each other again did not surprise me.  Not only had they both been Ramsey's tortured playthings; they had escaped together, Theon had saved Sansa's life and nearly died for her; but when they parted, Theon was headed away from Sansa with very little chance of ever seeing them.  I think Theon means a lot to Sansa, though not as a love interest; he's like a long-lost brother to her.  I wonder what Bran will think of Theon's return; given that Bran saw Theon brutally execute the old armsmaster of Winterfell...

You don't have to wonder, they showed us twice. Bran told Jaime he doesn't hate anyone. Then in the battle planning meeting Theon volunteers himself and the Iron Islanders to protect Bran in the Godswood if he would allow it. They all look to Bran and he slightly nods his head in approval.

19 hours ago, Deminelle said:

At the moment when it happened, imo it was to show the difference between Dany and Sansa....Snip

....Dany has mainly conquered people on her side with fear and force. Even the discussion between Missandei and Greyworm tells us that even though Dany would continue as a ruler after the events, they would leave her.

Yes, so much this.

Also, just wanted to add my thoughts... i became quite emotional from the perspective -- what they went through and the emotional bond created from their captivity with the Boltons. Im sure this is obvious and has prob been mentioned so add my tally mark to that.

As I said in the OP I get it and I think it should have been written exactly as it was, however I feel the other reunion should have been even more emotional, which is the part that confuses me most.

had it been me(Sansa), whatever tears I shed for a surviving friend I  could relate to (Theon).... I would have shed 100x times more reuniting with my  brothers and sisters who I had thought were dead.

They undercooked all the other reunions which is fine... if they hadn't served a steaming hot Sansa/Theon one to remind us how cold the others were.

On 4/22/2019 at 7:01 AM, StoneColdJorahMormont said:

Out of all the combinations... Arya/Jon, Sansa/Jon, Jon/Bran, Bran/Arya etc... some of which hadn't seen each other in years.

Sansa and Theon were the only ones brought to tears upon reuniting and they had reunited no so long ago.. I wasn't expecting them to be as emotional to see each other going by the lack of emotion with all the other reunions.

I can't remember the tears, but except that I find the Jon/Arya and Jon/Sansa reunion not less emotional than the Sansa/Theon one. And the reunions with Bran were weird, because Bran seems to be another person saying to you how nice you looked when you were raped.

But I agree, Theon and Sansa went through hell together, so its nice and fitting to see them act so emotionally.

Sansa/Jon reunion is simply incomparable with others. It happened at the moment when House Stark was literally gone, when Sansa has been abused and tormented, after Jon's killing and resurrection. Overall, that was the lowest point for entire Stark family. So, seeing the two of them together, after what they have been through, after six years of this family being scattered across the continent. So, that was not just a reunion, it was a metaphorical rebirth of House Stark and that one we will never forget.

Sansa/Theon reunion brings so much baggage. For Sansa it brings all the horrors she survived with Ramsay and how Theon helped her. For Theon, it is that and more - betrayal of Robb, sacking the Winterfell, killing those two. It brings so much pain and such comfort to see the two of them being well again. It is the pinnacle of Theon's redemption arc, the return of his identity, the last act. For Sansa, this is the person who rescued her at the great personal risk, someone who knows the depths of pain she survived. She is connected with Theon in ways she is not connected with any of her brothers. 

Simply, other reunions, as poignant and important as they may have been, can't hold a candle to those two. 

On 4/22/2019 at 1:01 AM, StoneColdJorahMormont said:

Out of all the combinations... Arya/Jon, Sansa/Jon, Jon/Bran, Bran/Arya etc... some of which hadn't seen each other in years.

Sansa and Theon were the only ones brought to tears upon reuniting and they had reunited no so long ago.. I wasn't expecting them to be as emotional to see each other going by the lack of emotion with all the other reunions.

What is the one attribute that distinguishes the first four relationships from the last and fifth relation? Well one thing that pops out is that the first four were GRRM creations and the last one is a a D&D creation. And I think D&D believe their own stuff is tip top. So there may be the explanation.

The last one had its origin in Season 5. And I'd like to forget about season 5.

On 4/22/2019 at 2:02 PM, Deminelle said:

Theon said also, if lady Sansa will accept her. I thought Dany was not pleased to see Sansa treated as the leader there, not her.

She looked both surprised and disappointed, maybe even insulted. I think she was expecting "I'm here to fight for you, my Queen."

Archived