Arya Losin' It

19 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

Anyone else really did not see it coming, like me? I mean, I know that there are theories that Arya and Gendry migth end up together in the books. Until this episode Arya seemed more or less like an asexual psycho. It didn't look like she was interested in love or sex at all. And then suddenly she starts asking Gendry about his past sex partners and asks him for sex. There is nothing wrong with Arya or Gendry having sex but imo it felt really awkward because it was very out of Arya's character.

Definitely did not see it coming, but I think it’s a good sign for Arya slowly getting back to a normal life. She’s had to protect herself for years by focusing on training and not being vulnerable. Now she can start reclaiming her friend and family relationships (while still being a kickass fighter 

1 minute ago, Deminelle said:

What bothers me, she didn't even blink an eye to revelation of Robert being Gendry's father. But that could just tell, that Gendry's background doesn't matter to her, titles don't matter.

You’re right. There could have been some reference to the fact that the Lannister men were looking for him during the march north with Yoren

1 minute ago, Deminelle said:

What bothers me, she didn't even blink an eye to revelation of Robert being Gendry's father. But that could just tell, that Gendry's background doesn't matter to her, titles don't matter.

Yeah, the revelation surprised her but she took it in stride. Maybe titles don't matter, maybe she even liked it. Robert is known to her as her father's best friend, so no bad implications anyway. And she certainly has no grudge against bastards anyway, Jon being her closest "brother" of childhood.

On the other hand I believe Arya is setting up to seduce Gendry and does not really focus on heritage right now. 

Arya's almost as robotic as Bran at this point. She slept with Gendry to see what all the fuss about sex was about, and chose him because they had history. Ignoring how sloppily her narrative has been handled on the show, the spirit of what the showrunners seem to be implying is that her experiences have fundamentally damaged Arya's ability to feel and care about anything or anyone. Though she may have left the Faceless Men behind, she''ll never be able to be Arya Stark again, not unless she finds a way to leave death behind and decide to live again. There have been brief moments of the girl she was reappearing, but those were when she was able to leave her edgelord, try-hard "badass" persona crack for a second, or just bad writing.

Something obviously happens next episode that absolutely terrifies her, which could be a first step to becoming more normal again, but only if she has the courage to reject violence as her means of healing. If not, I have the feeling that Arya is a doomed character, and will either die by season's end or reject her identity as a Stark and truly become No One.

14 minutes ago, Elayis said:

Arya's almost as robotic as Bran at this point

Have we seen a different show? Where is she robotic? 

The flirtatious scene in E1 was everything else than robotic. The forgery talk in E2 was fine.

2 hours ago, Black Arya said:

I am european, actually :)

I have no problems with both sex and murder. It is her story

This is hilarious. Do all Europeans have no problem with sex and murder? And what does sex have to do with murder anyhow? They are about as far apart from one another as could be. Lol

1 minute ago, Greenmonsterff said:

This is hilarious. Do all Europeans have no problem with sex and murder? And what does sex have to do with murder anyhow? They are about as far apart from one another as could be. Lol

Yes, that was the point. In American culture violence and weapons are accepted a lot easier in movies (and real-life) than sex of teenagers. Europeans tend to feel the opposite. Maybe because weapons are not readily available in most European countries. More than 95% of German adults never fired a weapon (if they haven't been in the military, which is a minority, too, nowadays).

1 minute ago, AryaNymeriaVisenya said:

But really, she's 18 years old and having consensual intercourse with a guy she's had a crush on since she was a girl. Its her choice. Good for her

Exactly, nothing to discuss here. It's fine.

14 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

Have we seen a different show? Where is she robotic? 

The flirtatious scene in E1 was everything else than robotic. The forgery talk in E2 was fine.

All Arya has cared about since the end of Season 3 is vengeance. Every life she took stripped away more and more of her humanity. Brief flashes of her old self here and there do not negate years of psychotic behavior. 

Her interrogation of Gendry was solely to see if he was experience enough to make her first time as adequate as possible. She didn't seem to care about him as a person, only as a tool to use for her needs. Her post-coital scene seemed to imply that sex for her was unfulfilling. The only thing she takes pleasure from anymore is death.

The post coital scene reminded me of when they slept next to each other in Harrenhal and she was always wide awake. She may die tomorrow. He may die tomorrow. Her siblings may die tomorrow. She can't sleep. And the song over the top suggested no negativity, he took away her pain and sorrow and she never wanted to leave.

Just now, AryaNymeriaVisenya said:

The post coital scene reminded me of when they slept next to each other in Harrenhal and she was always wide awake. She may die tomorrow. He may die tomorrow. Her siblings may die tomorrow. She can't sleep. And the song over the top suggested no negativity, he took away her pain and sorrow and she never wanted to leave.

Agreed. The is worried about the battle to come. She has a lot to think through. 

And real-life: While men are usually tired after sex, women are not so. 

11 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

Exactly, nothing to discuss here. It's fine.

Especially since Tormund tried the same line of reasoning with Brienne, to me it shows that Arya is more than just the sum of her years.

18 minutes ago, Greenmonsterff said:

Not if you're a Praying Mantis

1 minute ago, Charlie Hustle said:

How about Arya realizing that she may die, but she didnt want to die a virgin?

That's what she actually said. That's the basic driving force. But she likes Gendry quite a lot, was flirting with him before.

Archived