Is Brienne the first ever person to be knighted at Winterfell?

30 minutes ago, The Knight of Flours said:

Just occurred to me that with the North's discard for 'knighting' is Brienne the first ever in Winterfell (or even the North?).

Do we know the North's "discard for knighting"? I don't. Where do you take this knowledge from?

My impression was that there are knights in the North, too.

Ser Rodrik Cassel, the Master of Arms of Winterfell, in S1 was a knight.

Ser Jorah Mormont is a knight, too.

Ned Stark did not value knighthood, though, as might be true for most Northerners who pray to the Old Gods.

On 4/22/2019 at 1:02 PM, Kajjo said:

Ser Rodrik Cassel, the Master of Arms of Winterfell, in S1 was a knight.

Ser Jorah Mormont is a knight, too.

Ned Stark did not value knighthood, though, as might be true for most Northerners who pray to the Old Gods.

Ser Jorah was knighted at Pyke after Robert put down Balon Greyjoy's rebellion.

Not sure about Ser Rodrik, it could have been at a tourney in the south.

I think the act of knighting is done in the name of the seven and that's why outside there are very few Knights in the North outside of Manderley lands. :dunno:

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 7:59 AM, The Knight of Flours said:

As in my edit, I know House Manderly - being from the south and believers in the Seven - would probably have knighted some in White Harbour.

But Winterfell and the 'true' Northmen have a disdain for knighting and tournaments.

And yet the Stark clan went to the tournament at Harrenhal, where Rheagar first saw Lyanna.

It's more to do with the fact that knights are associated with the Sept and the new gods, whereas the most of the North follows the old gods. Even still , Bran dreamed of becoming a knight and it doesn't sound like Ned ever tried to discourage him.

24 minutes ago, Lord Lyman said:

And yet the Stark clan went to the tournament at Harrenhal, where Rheagar first saw Lyanna.

It's more to do with the fact that knights are associated with the Sept and the new gods, whereas the most of the North follows the old gods. Even still , Bran dreamed of becoming a knight and it doesn't sound like Ned ever tried to discourage him.

Exactly. Ned was fostered at the Vale and Bran's mother is a Tully who still kept the faith of the seven (Ned built her a Sept at WF), so we can see how Ned would be supportive. Stark children growing up several generations ago would not have had the same exposure and even if they had childish notions of emulating southron knights their Lord fathers would probably not have been amused.

The tourney at Harrenhall has to be seen in the context of Lord Rickard's supposed southron ambitions - fostering with and marrying into other great houses rather than northern bannermen, so again not a typical Stark family when compared to generations before them.

Archived