Who is Going to Die

SandSnark

59 minutes ago, Adam_Up_Bxtch said:

This show doesn’t kill off characters “just because it’s Game of Thrones” most of the deaths have set up and purpose. It comes down to “which characters have unfinished business?”

Yes, I mostly agree. Deaths make sense and are a natural way of stoyline development. However, the storyline can develop surprisingly as we have seen throughout all seasons.

The "unfinished business" theory does not hold true for Ned Stark, for example. Or for Robb, or Catelyn or even Baelish, who was the mastermind behind many of this. 

So yes, it is somehow more likely that characters without complete arc survive and thos with finished arcs or without being necessary anymore might be more likely to die... but likelihood is not decisive. The pivotal point is, what story the author wants to tell us and part of this story can be that sometime death can happen unexpectedly. In real life not all "arc" finish and GRRM was fine with writing unexpected yet believable storylines. 

So yes, I base my predictions partly on "arcs", too, but on the other hand I actually hope that not everything is about arc, but a battle just has victims, arc or no arc.

1 hour ago, Kajjo said:

Yes, I mostly agree. Deaths make sense and are a natural way of stoyline development. However, the storyline can develop surprisingly as we have seen throughout all seasons.

The "unfinished business" theory does not hold true for Ned Stark, for example. Or for Robb, or Catelyn or even Baelish, who was the mastermind behind many of this. 

So yes, it is somehow more likely that characters without complete arc survive and thos with finished arcs or without being necessary anymore might be more likely to die... but likelihood is not decisive. The pivotal point is, what story the author wants to tell us and part of this story can be that sometime death can happen unexpectedly. In real life not all "arc" finish and GRRM was fine with writing unexpected yet believable storylines. 

So yes, I base my predictions partly on "arcs", too, but on the other hand I actually hope that not everything is about arc, but a battle just has victims, arc or no arc.

I quite strongly disagree on Ned and Robb, Cat or Petyr. There is a very big difference between a character having incomplete goals and their story purpose being fulfilled. Not at all the same. In the case of all of these characters their story purpose WAS their deaths and their impact on the remaining characters.

There is no doubt that there will be at least one death in the coming episode that will be surprising. However surprising is different from arbitrary. Whoever it is it will be a death that propels the story forward for other characters in a very important way.

So what story purpose would Brienne’s death at this point serve for example? Jaime’s redemption arc does not require her to die, rather it requires that she live even if he does not.

Jorah dying on the other hand would be basically the only death that would truly cause deep pain to Dany, while also dangerously reducing her contingent of advisors keeping her worst instincts in check. This is why Jorah’s death seems likely IMO.

I could for on for every character.

Well...

I imagine Davos will die saving the little girl in the way he couldn't save Shireen. His arc is done, he doesn't have much more to do. They'll give him a hero's death. 
Jorah is dead. He tied things up and made his peace in the last episode. There's not much more for him to do. 
Grey Worm or Missandei or both. Grey Worm essentially got a "please kill me sign" on him with his planning for the future and that goodbye kiss. Its pretty much "I'm 2 days from retirement" or "when I get home from the war me an my girl are gonna get a house with a white picket fence and have babies". 

Theon will heroically die to save Bran in a redemption arc, to the great sadness of Sansa which is why the producers had them sharing romantic glances last episode.
Varys. Arc is done. Nothing left to do.  
Pod. Nothing left to do. 
Gendry OR Arya. They're both pretty done. They've had their goodbye sex. One of them will die to the great sadness of the other, and it will likely be Gendry biting the dust. 
Beric and Edd are goners for sure, nothing left for them at all.

Not so sure: 
Tormund may or may not die. He has very little left to do and doesn't really belong in the south, but they may keep him around for comic relief but only if Brienne lives. Otherwise he's dead.  
Brienne..may or may not die. She may have a role in the future Kings/queensguard. Otherwise her arc is done. 
Jon OR Dany. There can be only one. Dany doesn't share her throne. 
Melisandre. Her dark magic stuff may potentially be used in the final final battle, but otherwise she's gone. 

On 4/25/2019 at 2:21 PM, Timm said:

I don't know when Gendry will die, but the sword that kills him will be lightbringer, for he is Nissa Nissa.

I don't subscribe to this theory but I think it is an interesting one. I've seen very few people suggest that Nissa Nissa may be a man although I do not think it should be ruled out. The translations from the past are not always accurate. 

What if the third major shock-moment is that ... nobody of importance dies in episode 3? 

Episode 2 with all it's finality was just a massive "trolololo fooled youuu"-moment from the writers. :P

15 minutes ago, MinscS2 said:

What if the third major shock-moment is that ... nobody of importance dies in episode 3? 

Episode 2 with all it's finality was just a massive "trolololo fooled youuu"-moment from the writers. :P

LOL. I don't think the showrunners would have called that an endgame twist from the author, so I do think something else is coming, but probably not until the 5th or 6th episode.  The battle will  just be killing off a few of the red shirts with speaking roles and getting the story back to the South.

14 minutes ago, MinscS2 said:

Then in episode 4 they die of dysentery while in the wagon caravan in route to King's Landling, A La Oregon Trail

4 minutes ago, Deminelle said:

Which one of the main characters last died, anyway? Can't remember...

Depends on what qualifies as a "main character" but... Littlefinger was a pretty big character. 

1 hour ago, Trinket2 said:

Well...
Varys. Arc is done. Nothing left to do.  

Gendry OR Arya. They're both pretty done. They've had their goodbye sex. One of them will die to the great sadness of the other, and it will likely be Gendry biting the dust. 

Not so sure: 
Tormund may or may not die. He has very little left to do and doesn't really belong in the south, but they may keep him around for comic relief but only if Brienne lives. Otherwise he's dead.  
Brienne..may or may not die. She may have a role in the future Kings/queensguard. Otherwise her arc is done. 
Jon OR Dany. There can be only one. Dany doesn't share her throne. 
Melisandre. Her dark magic stuff may potentially be used in the final final battle, but otherwise she's gone. 

I find a few statements here extremely at odds with my predictions.

First of all, Varys. Varys’s purpose in the story has very little to do with what he has achieved thus far IMO. Yes, he deserves much credit for getting Dany to Westeros. But what he is REALLY all about is his deep hatred of blood magic...and readiness to change camps. And after this battle the story is going to take a very dark turn related to blood magic, and that will result in Varys dying by dragonfire in a later episode because Dany feels betrayed. Definitely not THIS episode in the Northern fight.

Arya is SOOOO not done. Though not my prediction really, I would not even be surprised if she was the ONLY Stark left after this battle, setting her loose to pursue her list (while also needing to fill Sansa’s shoes). It is vaguely possible she does die in the battle, but if so she will not stay dead. If she dies she is prime candidate for either the Benjen treatment or becoming another fire wight.

Mel is not done for similar reasons as Varys. Blood magic is coming in future episodes and its results will not be pretty.

As for Tormund...I think the next few episodes will be rather heavy. While he will have a comic relief function in the battle itself that role will end and have no place for the next 2 episodes. For laughs we will have to make do with Tyrion and the Hound, plus a bit of Bronn.

Am I the only one who thinks Bran is a goner?  I think they put in the off screen Tyrion/Bran convo as an information download which will finally give Tyrion (and his brain that they mention 500 times) something to do.  It also seems like D&D have no idea what to do with or about Bran as the 3ER so getting rid of him would make their lives easier.  I also believe our heroes will lose this battle and be at their lowest low come Ep4, and that means the Night King has to accomplish his goal and kill the 3ER.  It will be an infuriating and anti-climatic end to Bran's story (which only makes me more convinced it'll happen).

Or I'm totally wrong, either way I'll miss you Grey Worm.

7 minutes ago, Bear42 said:

Am I the only one who thinks Bran is a goner?  I think they put in the off screen Tyrion/Bran convo as an information download which will finally give Tyrion (and his brain that they mention 500 times) something to do.  It also seems like D&D have no idea what to do with or about Bran as the 3ER so getting rid of him would make their lives easier.  I also believe our heroes will lose this battle and be at their lowest low come Ep4, and that means the Night King has to accomplish his goal and kill the 3ER.  It will be an infuriating and anti-climatic end to Bran's story (which only makes me more convinced it'll happen).

Or I'm totally wrong, either way I'll miss you Grey Worm.

For me it is just that I feel like Bran’s whole journey has yet to really feel relevant. So if he dies itwill be like....ok....so WTF was that all about. I need it all to mean a bit more before he goes.

Just for fun I'm guessing Grey Worm, Jorah, Edd, Theon, Tormund, Pod, Gendry, Jaime and Brienne are all done. Not sure about Bran but my gut says he's gone too.

I think Visrerion and Rhaegal are both going down locked in mortal combat. Dany might even have to burn them both with Drogon.

Plot-armored survivors will flee on Drogon. Jon, Dany, Sansa, Arya, and Tyrion. Probably Samwell and Gilly too. Not sure about Varys. Gut feeling says Davos survives all the way.

And for some added tinfoil, I think Sandor will die but Beric will pass the flame and bring him back. Sandor will be one of the survivors who gets to King's Landing, where he will kill Gregor with a burning sword he ignites Beric-style.

28 minutes ago, three-eyed monkey said:

Just for fun I'm guessing Grey Worm, Jorah, Edd, Theon, Tormund, Pod, Gendry, Jaime and Brienne are all done. Not sure about Bran but my gut says he's gone too.

I think Visrerion and Rhaegal are both going down locked in mortal combat. Dany might even have to burn them both with Drogon.

Plot-armored survivors will flee on Drogon. Jon, Dany, Sansa, Arya, and Tyrion. Probably Samwell and Gilly too. Not sure about Varys. Gut feeling says Davos survives all the way.

And for some added tinfoil, I think Sandor will die but Beric will pass the flame and bring him back. Sandor will be one of the survivors who gets to King's Landing, where he will kill Gregor with a burning sword he ignites Beric-style.

Arya should be considered dead already if you go by the Death by Sex theorem. Gendry too.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DeathBySex

2 hours ago, MinscS2 said:

Shouldn't this mean that Jon, Dany, Sam and Gilly (and technically Sansa too) are all dead according by that theory? :P

Nah, it was too long ago that they did it. But Gilly is of course not safe at all anyway since she are in the no-so-safe crypts.

None of those who drank wine with Tyrion, nor Tyrion, cause he said he thought they would live.

Theon is probably saved from being turned thanks to a dragonglass stab to the heart (“what is dead may never die and rises harder and stronger”)

Nor Jon and Dany

Anyone else is possible but I doubt Arya does, Sansa is unlikely, so is Varys because he has a part to play I think later.

Grey Worm is far up on my death probability scoring, followed by Theon.

Beric is very far up, too. The God of Light brought him back so many times, because he had some importance. Probably he will do his deed in this battle, whatever it will be. He is most certainly dead.

8 hours ago, NonoNono said:

so is Varys because he has a part to play I think later.

I agree, but it is difficult to imagine which part. Maybe his use is over.

20 minutes ago, King of the Couch said:

The pack survives, remember..?

Yes, but I think maybe the pack in the end will be a pack of strays, not specifically the Starks. Nymeria is the leader of a pack of cousin wolves, not direwolves…

Archived