Jenny of Oldstones by Florence + the Machine

14 minutes ago, Lady Anna said:

I mean, it's a song about 'a' Jenny. The characters don't need to know who that is; it's mostly for the book readers benefit.

Except it's not just any ol' Jenny, it's Jenny of Oldstones, who is a specific character. Again -- why choose that particular song even if "for readers' benefit" when the character it was written about doesn't exist in the show? There are lots of haunting songs that aren't about specific people.

11 hours ago, Trebla said:

As I recall, HBO used their "Seven Devils" song for GoT's the season 2 trailer so it's fitting they were able to adapt the song. 

Gosh i remember years ago around the time of the Seven Devils trailer/Season 2 i made a successful thread specifically on Songs that Remind You of ASoIaF characters (on my old username, RIP) -- I remember having a lot of characters + Florence songs cause i loved her at the time... and I always thought Florence was a book reader because so many of her songs reminded me of characters and scenarios so if was nice for her to do this song... Obviously haven't been on here much but came looking for that thread to read it and reminisce.

Anyway thanks for this little walk down memory lane... wish i could find that damn thread.

9 minutes ago, grumkin_snark said:

Except it's not just any ol' Jenny, it's Jenny of Oldstones, who is a specific character. Again -- why choose that particular song even if "for readers' benefit" when the character it was written about doesn't exist in the show? There are lots of haunting songs that aren't about specific people.

Well, there's the "Inside the Episode", when D&D talk about some scenes, what they mean to them and what their intention was.

They explain that they wanted to show how everyone was dealing with the last night before facing one enemy together, some would sit together, drink and sing songs, then they talk about the song:

"We knew we wanted a song, we hadn't had an original for long, this moment felt like it and Daniel (Pod) felt like the singer. The song I believe is in George's books, um, at least the first verse is in the books and then we added some lyrics and then Ramin came up with the music for it."

So it seems they didn't really care much about the song's background and history, just wanted to include something that sounded sad and give a nod to the readers..

12 hours ago, grumkin_snark said:

But the song doesn't mention specific things. A casual viewer has no ideia who Jenny of Oldstones is. That's what I meant, it was just chosen because it was a song from the books. 

This has been bothering me, so I finally started looking.  When I look online, most articles reference the lyrics of the song being in Arya's chapter when she meets the Ghost of High Heart.  THIS IS NOT WHERE IT IS.  It is in the epilogue, with Merrett Frey.  If anyone else was frustrated by not being able to find it, that is why.  The lyric, as published in the book, is "high in the halls with the kings who are gone, Jenny would dance with her ghosts"  So that part is canon, for what it is worth.

That scene was one of the most chilling in the series so far... but I gotta say, Podrick sang the song much better than Florence and the Machine who oversang like an America's Got Talent contender and softly yodled every other word. 
Also, IDK what the song is supposed to mean in the books but if ever there was a time not to sing a song about dancing with the ghosts of all your most beloved dead friends, ten minutes before you all went charging into battle together against an army of zombies would probably be it.

Sweet and wistful. Daniel Portman's rendition in the episode was pleasing. Absolutely no theories here about What It All Means. :)

Side note on reading the lyrics to "The Dornishman's Wife." In my mind's ear it is sung to the tune of "Abdulla Bulbul Ameer." :D

On 4/23/2019 at 4:47 PM, Lady Rhodes said:

This has been bothering me, so I finally started looking.  When I look online, most articles reference the lyrics of the song being in Arya's chapter when she meets the Ghost of High Heart.  THIS IS NOT WHERE IT IS.  It is in the epilogue, with Merrett Frey.  If anyone else was frustrated by not being able to find it, that is why.  The lyric, as published in the book, is "high in the halls with the kings who are gone, Jenny would dance with her ghosts"  So that part is canon, for what it is worth.

It is sung in Arya's chapter at High Hill though without the lyrics. But it's the song gohh requests from Tom as payment. Catelyn refers to the song when at Oldstones on the way to the Twins. And then in the epilogue Tom sings the first 2 lines. It links Arya to Catelyn's fate, not yet knowing what will befall, and of course Catelyn to Arya as she's searching for Arya as LS.

12 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

It is sung in Arya's chapter at High Hill though without the lyrics

Oh, yes, you are correct.  I was referring to the fact that I had read a few news articles saying that the lyrics could be found in that chapter, which is not the case.

I do like the song a lot, and have probably listened to it about 500 times since Sunday. I know people keep saying it reminds them of Pippin's song in RotK, but it made me think more of the Song of Exile in King Arthur (2004). All are haunting.

That being said, this was a bone the showrunners threw the book readers. It is unclear what connection Jenny of Oldstones would have to the situation at hand, or even with later plots.

20 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

I do like the song a lot, and have probably listened to it about 500 times since Sunday. I know people keep saying it reminds them of Pippin's song in RotK, but it made me think more of the Song of Exile in King Arthur (2004). All are haunting.

Interesting... I had immediate Outlander vibe...

I love both renditions. Male voice brought that doomsday feeling, much like Pippin's song, while female version is breathtakingly emotional and private. They both work marvelously in different ways.

34 minutes ago, Risto said:

Interesting... I had immediate Outlander vibe...

I love both renditions. Male voice brought that doomsday feeling, much like Pippin's song, while female version is breathtakingly emotional and private. They both work marvelously in different ways.

By Outlander vibe, do you mean the "Je suis prest" song?

2 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

By Outlander vibe, do you mean the "Je suis prest" song?

In general, there is something haunting in Jenny song that reminded me of Outlander.. Nothing too specific, just a feeling. Perhaps some Ghost of High Heart and druid connection. I can actually imagine the dance around the stones to "Jenny of Oldstones" song.

Well Jon already gave up his crown for the love of her, it's her turn to give up the crown for him. But either or, when characters chose love over duty, tragedy usually follows. I figure that the song doesn't have to mirror Jenny's life exactly because songs like this will change over time with hundreds of bards traveling all over and making their own additions. Plus, since we don't know exactly what happened at Summerhall, it may make more sense later. I do wish they had added something about flowers in her hair. I can't find exactly the lyrics that were in the book, but I remember that much.

On 4/22/2019 at 4:56 PM, Lord Varys said:

The song is well sung and played, but there is little and less of Jenny of Oldstones in the song. Can anybody help me understand who the ghosts are supposed to be that Jenny lost long ago? What we know at this point is that all people Jenny lost (and possibly she herself) died at Summerhall.

As for unintentional humor, I cannot help but rejoice at the fact that it is over soon. Just like Jenny (and Catelyn, for that matter) had likely no issue with 'leaving' when it the time came to say their final farewells ;-).

I think it's about Arya.

On 4/22/2019 at 1:21 PM, Ran said:

Rhaegar didn't write it, FWIW, since Catelyn knew the song from her childhood. At least, that's the case in the books. 

Aye, but did she listen to it with the Ballad of Gilligan’s Island playing in her head as Ramin Djawadi appears to have done? :)

Archived