Saying Goodbye

On 4/22/2019 at 3:45 PM, Kajjo said:

Hm, what do you think she might want to do? Besides to train even more.

She was flirting with Gendry in E1, they had a bond long ago. For me it is believable.

They didn't show it to be overly romantic. She was quite straight-forward about it and that fits her character.

Spot on!

On 4/22/2019 at 11:20 AM, Raksha 2014 said:

What I've really missed, and I think would have happened by now, or possibly should happen before any more Starks die or are split up (i.e. one or two more episodes), is Jon, Arya, Sansa, and Bran sitting down together and talking about what has happened to each of them since they parted in Season 1.  They've only revealed snippets, one person to another.  They need to know.  We wouldn't have to hear it all, just know that they were opening up to each other in family mode.  Aren't any of them curious as to what a Three-Eyed Raven is, and how Bran came to be one, anyway?  Or where Arya learned to be such an efficient killer?  Or what it was like to be a Lannister hostage in King's Landing?  And how the heck Jon died and came back (Arya and Sansa don't know that he died, I don't think)...

It would be great, and there is no need to show the whole discussion, just that it happened, not that seeing it would not be fun.

8 hours ago, Lady Rhodes said:

I think, too, this is why A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms is one of the better episodes in a while.  It was an intimate picture of the people.  I am very sad when I think that so many of them are going to be dead come next week.

I loved it, a portrait of what it means to live in the face of death. Love, companionship, loyalty and family. When Bryan Cogman got choked up and said it was a love letter to these characters he wasn't wrong. It was beautiful. Stunning. 

On 4/22/2019 at 12:00 PM, Kajjo said:

But yes, a "pack meetup" of the Starks would have been fine, too. But in real-life such evenings are not "like written in a fairy tale", too. 

Even though I enjoy sentimental moments like that, the more I think about it, the more I think the way it was written is better. Jon was busy in the crypt dealing with his stuff, and the way Bran has been, for him to suddenly be feeling nostalgic would have really seemed out of place. He doesn't consider himself Bran Stark anymore. What I would have liked to see though, at the end of the episode was the four Starks standing together on the battlement, ready to face their enemy together, as a pack. No words, just glances between them, like "Father always promised Winter was coming".

I gave this episode a 10 also. People have gotten too used to fast moving plots, lots of action and flashy CGI, and we often lose out on the personal aspects of the characters, IMO. Sansa being so "smart" might not feel so forced to many people if D&D had taken time to develop that more, but then a lot of people would have felt that was boring.

3 hours ago, SansaJonRule said:

the more I think about it, the more I think the way it was written is better.

Same for me. I liked it this way. It was somehow real-life and not Hollywood-ish.

3 hours ago, SansaJonRule said:

and we often lose out on the personal aspects of the characters,

Yes, and the characters, their depth and complexity, the emotions they raise in us, are decisive. It's all about emotions, in the end.

12 hours ago, AryaNymeriaVisenya said:

a portrait of what it means to live in the face of death. Love, companionship, loyalty and family. When Bryan Cogman got choked up and said it was a love letter to these characters he wasn't wrong. It was beautiful. Stunning. 

Same here. I fully agree. S8E2 was the best episodes since quite a time.

16 hours ago, Kajjo said:

Same for me. I liked it this way. It was somehow real-life and not Hollywood-ish.

Yes, and the characters, their depth and complexity, the emotions they raise in us, are decisive. It's all about emotions, in the end.

And that's why I prefer reading books. You get inside the characters' heads and really get to know them.

Archived