Why so serious?

Nakraal

20 hours ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

Isn’t the Army of the Dead roughly 100k strong?.

Im sure Danys army was something close to that?,add in all the Northerners too and surely they’re not that outnumbered?.

Or have the Army of the dead suddenly swelled their ranks that much?.

The dead don't eat. Sansa tried to point that out but no one paid attention.

32 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Curious, where do you get this from? Last episode Arya questions the axe and Gendry sinks it into a wooden stump and it doesn't break. Arya also throws 3 glass daggers into a post and none of them break. The tips would be the easiest to break and they don't.

I don't put any stock in what happens in Gendry's Smith Shoppe. The show is pretending dragonglass is hard metal. It's not. It's stone. Compared to normal Westerosi weapons, dragonglass is brittle. Especially if you thin it out. 

Imagine Robb hacking away at that tree when he learned about his daddy's head. He was ruining steel swords, which took quite a lot of effort. Breaking an obsidian sword would have relieved much less stress. 

2 minutes ago, darmody said:

I don't put any stock in what happens in Gendry's Smith Shoppe. The show is pretending dragonglass is hard metal. It's not. It's stone. Compared to normal Westerosi weapons, dragonglass is brittle. Especially if you thin it out. 

Imagine Robb hacking away at that tree when he learned about his daddy's head. He was ruining steel swords, which took quite a lot of effort. Breaking an obsidian sword would have relieved much less stress. 

It's strong enough to use to kill an undead thing just by touching it like Jon did in KL. They are not nearly as strong as a tree and IIRC a lot of them don't even have weapons.

We are watching a series with dragons, fire proof people, wights, white walkers, magical valyrian steel, stone people, Beric and Jon rising from the dead and being "alive" etc.  Of all those things I would think of something other than dragon glass to go after.:cool4:

5 hours ago, House Cambodia said:

The dead don't eat. Sansa tried to point that out but no one paid attention.

Yes yes we know they don’t eat but this hasn’t got anything to do with actual numbers of wights at their disposal.

56 minutes ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

Yes yes we know they don’t eat but this hasn’t got anything to do with actual numbers of wights at their disposal.

Why it's relevant is because they could lay a siege to Winterfell and outlast the humans. As good a tactic as that would be, however, we know that a battle is imminent and a siege won't happen in the TV show.

I know the show-runners are not strong on logical consistency from season to season, or episode to episode, or even scene to scene in some cases, but it seems to me that the small band on the island in S7 was able to take out quite a number of wights with only one VS blade between them and no dragonglass AIR. So using primarily conventional weapons, it seems their kill:death ratio was way more than 10:1.

On 4/22/2019 at 4:21 PM, Nakraal said:

We have a huge coalition army with each soldier armed with a dragonglass weapons. Dragonglass instakills wights. When the living could withstand several injuries before going down, the wights are destroyed from even a scratch from dragonglass. 

And the same is true for White Walkers.

The Dead have a Dragon. But the living have 2.

The only unknown variable is the Night King. 

Why so gloom and doom from the characters about the outcome of the battle? 

Because this is Game of Thrones. Gloom and doom is the name of the game.

1 hour ago, John Suburbs said:

I know the show-runners are not strong on logical consistency from season to season, or episode to episode, or even scene to scene in some cases, but it seems to me that the small band on the island in S7 was able to take out quite a number of wights with only one VS blade between them and no dragonglass AIR. So using primarily conventional weapons, it seems their kill:death ratio was way more than 10:1.

They all had dragonglass weapons when they went beyond the wall.  Some started off using their normal weapons but switched during the fighting.  

2 hours ago, Vuron said:

They all had dragonglass weapons when they went beyond the wall.  Some started off using their normal weapons but switched during the fighting.  

I'll have to rewatch that battle. Did it appear that the dragonglass was more effective than regular steel?

6 minutes ago, John Suburbs said:

I'll have to rewatch that battle. Did it appear that the dragonglass was more effective than regular steel?

Yes.  The best example is Sandor when he started out using Gendry's hammer and then switched to dragonglass daggers because the wights would just get back up and keep coming.

If you rewatch, you can see them all grabbing daggers from their belts.

7 hours ago, House Cambodia said:

Why it's relevant is because they could lay a siege to Winterfell and outlast the humans. As good a tactic as that would be, however, we know that a battle is imminent and a siege won't happen in the TV show.

Yeah that would be a good tactic, but not something I can see them doing.

I was talking more in terms of sheer numbers, if Dany bought nearly 100k soldiers and the Army of the Dead was said to be 100k earlier as well, then they're not as outnumbered as they were making out.

On 4/23/2019 at 10:21 PM, Bastard of Bournemouth said:

I suppose the NK/WW/wights could make/find ladders and siege towers seeing as they fashioned/unearthed convenient dragon-dredging chains, 

He was marching to war against a land where by the time he reached the Wall it could have been ruled by a Targaryen with 3 dragons, he would have been an idiot not to be marching with any dragon killing\enslaving tools he had built in preparation for his war. 

On 4/22/2019 at 10:31 AM, Ser Uncle P said:

Sheer volume of numbers of Wights. Kill 1, 10 more replace from the swarm. 

If a living soldier dies, a WW can simply raise him as another Wight.  

The NK has done something not done since the days of the Dance of the Dragons i.e. taken down an adult dragon in its pomp. He has breached the wall, something utterly unprecedented. 

It's a wonder anyone is willing to stand against him at all!!

not to mention the fact that they have absolutely no fear nor sense of pain. and iirc the night king has a telepathic or psychic connection with the wights. he sees everything that they see. if a wight knows where you are, so will the nk.

Archived