Killing of the NK

8 minutes ago, Bran the Shipper said:

Honestly I feel like the fight is not in our heroes' favor even with this instant win card.  Personally it seems like they will need to take advantage of it because otherwise they won't have a chance.  We haven't seen the Night King fight, as far as I can recall, so it is hard to say how strong of an opponent he is.  But it is probably likely, since he is so old, that he could easily defeat any of our fighters in single combat.

Plus he has a dragon of his own which is probably harder to take down than Rhaegal or Drogon because Viserion is already dead.  And I don't think we have any anti dragon weapons so in order to combat Viserion our dragons would have to take to the field which could make them vulnerable.

Yeah he's a big bad, he needs to go up against another big bad in single combat, I propose Sauron or Palpatine :P.

3 minutes ago, Remember said:

This is a good book theory, but won't work in the show, unless the writers/showrunners are doing some outright lying. they've stated that the night King is the personification of evil, and that he doesn't speak. Pretty hard to negotiate a truce in that scenario. 

Bran will sacrifice himself and "meld" with him, which means there won't be any talking.  (Thank God, because the dialogue has been awful.)

14 minutes ago, Bran the Shipper said:

Plus he has a dragon of his own which is probably harder to take down than Rhaegal or Drogon because Viserion is already dead.  And I don't think we have any anti dragon weapons so in order to combat Viserion our dragons would have to take to the field which could make them vulnerable.

Gendry just made Arya a spear out of dragon glass and there is an anti-dragon scorpion in King's Landing. I am hoping that Bronn shows up with a wagon full of gold and the giant crossbow.

So watching the "Inside the Episode" it feels to me like:

Killing the Nightking will not be enough. If u want look it up in youtube but its right after the scene where Jon tells us that killing the NK will kill them all Dan (I guess) tells us that " Things may not go entirely according to plan" but it was important for them that everyone knows what the people expect to happen.

So i expect an "Yay!!! We killed him!", short waiting "Well they still coming, sh*T!"

13 hours ago, Kajjo said:

n turn, the White Walkers were created by the Nightking from living babies and are not directly controlled by him. The White Walkers have emotions, are self-controlled, fight on your own. It might be that White Walkers die if the Nightking dies, but it might also be not the case.

Further, we not even know whether all White Walkers can create new White Walkers or only the Nightking has this ability. For me it makes sense if all WW could create new WW. Why should the NK be so special?

We also don't know if the NK was the only White Walker created by the CotF, or if they created many of them to help them in their war against men. They didn't have time for him to create more "Others" from babies and wait for them to grow up. The fact that he is the king of the WW and somehow seems to be special makes me think they created him, then he created the others, but not initially from babies, but from grown men.

11 hours ago, Frances Bean Corbray said:

The Night's King is the personification of death.  Humans cannot live forever, ergo The Night's King Cannot Be Killed.

He was created by the Children of the Forest. Anything that has been created can be destroyed. It doesn't mean I think he will be killed, only that it is possible to do so.

11 hours ago, Lady Rhodes said:

I think he won't be killed by traditional means - Lightbringer is needed. But what is Lightbringer? Or is it a who?

Also, did anyone notice that Bran said that the Night King had killed other Three Eyed Ravens?  How many times has this cycle happened? 

Lightbringer is the sword wielded by Azor Ahai.

Bran said that the NK has tried many times before, with many other Three Eyed Ravens.

Realistically, the show is running out of time. They will need episodes for dealing with aftermath of the NK preparing for Cersei and battle for KL. We have one more remaining besides of those.

Cheesy as it may be, the Army of the dead is no more in a week's time, one way or another. I bet it's the cheesy way.

4 minutes ago, Dragons 7th Eye said:

Realistically, the show is running out of time. They will need episodes for dealing with aftermath of the NK preparing for Cersei and battle for KL. We have one more remaining besides of those.

Cheesy as it may be, the Army of the dead is no more in a week's time, one way or another. I bet it's the cheesy way.

I feel a lot like this will be the case because timing and everything but it also seems crazy that theres 8 season of build up for this battle just for it to end in one fight?! Thats just lunacy. and for Cersei and the IT battle to be the central/ending conflict, also crazy. So now I just don't quite know what to think. 

17 minutes ago, nymeria_2321 said:

I feel a lot like this will be the case because timing and everything but it also seems crazy that theres 8 season of build up for this battle just for it to end in one fight?! Thats just lunacy. and for Cersei and the IT battle to be the central/ending conflict, also crazy. So now I just don't quite know what to think. 

It has to be like this. This isn't humans fighting humans where at some point they need to rest. The enemy doesn't tire, eat, sleep etc. They will not stop coming at you until they win or are all dead. IMO humans lose this coming battle, retreat, regroup and win the war.

Plus, who is to say this is all of the NK army? We didn't see him or his dragon, maybe he isn't even there.

2 hours ago, SansaJonRule said:

We also don't know if the NK was the only White Walker created by the CotF, or if they created many of them to help them in their war against men. They didn't have time for him to create more "Others" from babies and wait for them to grow up. The fact that he is the king of the WW and somehow seems to be special makes me think they created him, then he created the others, but not initially from babies, but from grown men.

Yes, possible, but uncertain. In the books there is no Nightking, no special White Walker, no apparent leader. So I guess, everything is possible.

In the show the Nightking is probably just a leader for building up a clear enemy figure and we should assume that all White Walkers have the same abilities. We know that all White Walkers can raise the dead. If a White Walker dies, only the wights die that have been raised by him. So all can do this. We do not know whether this applies to creating White Walkers from babies, but most probably it does.

The Children of the Forest indeed might have created more than one White Walker or the first White Walker created more White Walkers himself. Both is possible and sensible.

2 hours ago, SansaJonRule said:

He was created by the Children of the Forest. Anything that has been created can be destroyed.

Yes, obviously. I agree. Everyone can be killed.

1 hour ago, nymeria_2321 said:

that theres 8 season of build up for this battle just for it to end in one fight?! Thats just lunacy

I don't see this point so strictly. We had fun for seven seasons. It was all about intrigues, battles, personal hardships and multiple threads running parallel. Of course this melts down to some single instance of winning or losing for each character. Ned Stark lost in S1 and was beheaded. Cersei will lose in S8 and die somehow. I don't think we need escalation on every level for the story to by satisfying.

The show is named "Game of Thrones" and that is what most threads revolve around. I still have the feeling the Iron Throne will be destroyed and no-one will sit on it at the end.

Then there is the greater enemy from the North in a parallel thread. You could compare it as "silly nitpicking for the throne" vs a "fundamental challenge to the living". The game of thrones will be resolved in one way, the great challenge in another way. 

They built up the threat from the North over seven seasons, but is was always just a side-thread and now for some episodes it gets it acme. That makes a lot of sense to me. It's not "just one battle" in "just one episode". Several episodes of S7 were dedicated to building up to this battle and two important episodes of S8 have been used to built up tension. What more do you expect? This is more than enough for me. Five episodes for the battle of Life against Death. It's simply not "just a battle, just an episode". 

14 hours ago, Frances Bean Corbray said:

The Night's King is the personification of death.  Humans cannot live forever, ergo The Night's King Cannot Be Killed.

How do you come to that conclusion?

There was life and death before the Children of the Forest created the White Walkers. Many lives, many deaths. Exactly as it is now. The Night King (who doesn't even exist in the books) is NOT a personification of Death. He certainly is not.

The Night King or the White Walkers want the Endless Night. They want to destroy the Living, they want themselves to rule the world. Not much different from what the other side wants. The Living want to destroy the White Walkers and to avoid the Long Nights. 

The Last Hero was a diplomat, not a warrior.  He negotiated a truce.

Maybe, yes.

finite mortal life being, metaphorically, the compromise between immortality and death

Sounds nice, but is simply wrong: There was no immortality before the Children of the Forest created the first White Walker.

13 hours ago, Lady Rhodes said:

I think he won't be killed by traditional means - Lightbringer is needed. But what is Lightbringer? Or is it a who?

Yes, that is quite likely. 

Archived