Battlefield Commands/Assignments

From what we have seen and heard so far it looks like

Brienne -Left flank with the Knights of the Vale

Grey Worm - Center with Unsullied

Jon/Aegon? - Right Flank with the Northmen

Now I know that the writers want to give Brienne something big and important but giving her a command especially command of the Knights of the Vale before she was even a Knight herself seems kind of ridiculous especially with Lord Royce at Winterfell, I just could not see him ceding command of his knights to her even if Sansa asked him.  He is one of the few people there with battlefield experience.

More realistic would be 

Royce - Left Flank

Grey Worm - Center

Jon /Aegon - Right. Brienne, Jamie, Pod placed here as this group would be the the weakest of the defense force and would need all the help they could get.

There's also ~100k dothraki that needs consideration. I don't think it's easy to do a correct breakdown given how little actual info we currently have.

I do agree however that it seems silly, almost immersion-breakingly so, to give Brienne (who, as far as we can tell, has never commanded a force in her entire life) command over a larger portion of the army, especially with Jamie and Royce there. 

3 hours ago, Nerevanin said:

Agree that giving Brienne the command is silly. 

Ollie Mormont is evidently a drill sergeant, so I guess that makes Brienne a field marshal at least, I guess.

Did they say she had the Knights of the Vale? I missed that. The preview shows her and everyone around her on foot preparing for the swarm, she yells, "hold your ground".

As to the Dothraki, why would anyone but their leader(don't know his name but he is present at the planning meeting), lead them into battle?

Grey Worm obviously leads the Unsullied.

I assumed Jon was going to be on dragon back. 

When has Jorah ever led an army? He was in a couple battles but don't think he was the leader? The Siege of Pyke and Yunkai(?), but that's all I know of. Jaime does have battlefield commander experience, losing to Robb... but he is new to the group and will not have any type senior role in this battle.

The thing is we did see all the pieces on the table but I can't remember which symbols all went where.

31 minutes ago, dbunting said:

has Jorah ever led an army? He was in a couple battles but don't think he was the leader? The Siege of Pyke and Yunkai(?), but that's all I know of

Jorah was Danny's right-hand man until Barristan showed up. After which he was second or third, depending upon how you view her relationship with Dario. So it's fair to give him partial credit for Danny's string of victories from Astapor to Mereen. 

That, and we know he fought in the Greyjoy Rebellion and we've seen him successfully fight in many skirmishes and single combats. 

3 hours ago, nyser1 said:

Bronze Yohn, Jaime, and Jorah would have the most experience. Not that I would expect them to give Jaime any sort of command...

Jon has commanded in three major battles, though one of those was a fighting retreat and in the other he was a complete idiot. He definitely has the most experience fighting White Walkers. 

Jaime was at the Kingswood, fought in the Greyjoy Rebellion, commanded in the Riverlands, sacked Highgarden, and commanded in Field of Fire II. But no one trusts him, so he can't really command here. 

3 hours ago, darmody said:

Jorah was Danny's right-hand man until Barristan showed up. After which he was second or third, depending upon how you view her relationship with Dario. So it's fair to give him partial credit for Danny's string of victories from Astapor to Mereen. 

That, and we know he fought in the Greyjoy Rebellion and we've seen him successfully fight in many skirmishes and single combats. 

So basically he has no battlefield leadership experience. He was at the Siege of Pyke as I said and he took part in some skirmishes, but none of those were actual battlefield type situations like this.

37 minutes ago, dbunting said:

So basically he has no battlefield leadership experience. He was at the Siege of Pyke as I said and he took part in some skirmishes, but none of those were actual battlefield type situations like this

There hasn't been situation like this for 1,000 years.

At Pyke I imagine Jorah was among the ranks. I bring up the other stuff to note that he was at a high strategic level when Danny conquered three or more Eastern cities, though not commanding in the field. Second or third-ranked commander of an entire army which happened to win without fighting battles. 

3 minutes ago, darmody said:

I don't know if there's ever been a battlefield-type situation like this. 

At Pyke I imagine he was among the ranks. I bring up the other stuff to note that he was at a high strategic level when Danny conquered three or more Eastern cities, if not commanding in the field. 

Except there were no battlefields in those cities, we see it all happen on screen. He goes in through tunnels once to help open the gates. Another time the slaves revolt and open the gates themselves, Mysha episode. The only true battle was when Dany herself set it up and Jorah was in exile. When she came back with her Dothraki horde and used her dragons on the fleet in the bay.

13 hours ago, Error-504 said:

It's not like the NK is a tactical mastermind though, he wins by sheer numbers. Do we really expect any brilliant flanking maneuvers or tactical surprises from the wights? 

They have a lot of things that they could do, like flanking, raising the dead Starks in the crypts as a surprise attack, even just besiege them and wait for the living to weaken as supplies dwindle, the dead might be eaten (no party like a Donner Party), and mop up the survivors. We see this last one in play in Season 7 Episode 6 when Jon and his little party are stuck in the middle of a frozen lake surrounded on all sides by the Army of the Dead. The White Walkers have waited 8000 years, a few months is nothing to them. So waiting for the living to die slowly might be entertainment.

i see Brienne leads infantry, i think a combo of Vale troops, and odds and ends, like tha farmers Davos gave food, i expect the actual Knights of the Vale to be with the Khalasar to form the cavalary reserves. Royce probably wont be their commander: he doesnt have enough screentime for viewer only people to care. i expect Beric Dondarrion and the Hound to lead them for some reason.

the right flank of northman and wildlings will probably be led by Ser Jorah, Edd, and Thormund,

For those saying that the NK/wrights don't have any tactical ability. They did hold Jon and his merry band of men "prisoner" until Dany came so they could get a dragon. Grant it, that was D&D giving them that tactical ability. But they could do it again...

15 hours ago, dbunting said:

Did they say she had the Knights of the Vale? I missed that. The preview shows her and everyone around her on foot preparing for the swarm, she yells, "hold your ground".

As to the Dothraki, why would anyone but their leader(don't know his name but he is present at the planning meeting), lead them into battle?

Grey Worm obviously leads the Unsullied.

I assumed Jon was going to be on dragon back. 

When has Jorah ever led an army? He was in a couple battles but don't think he was the leader? The Siege of Pyke and Yunkai(?), but that's all I know of. Jaime does have battlefield commander experience, losing to Robb... but he is new to the group and will not have any type senior role in this battle.

The thing is we did see all the pieces on the table but I can't remember which symbols all went where.

The Ep 03 preview shows men in Vale armor standing behind Brienne, so that's where the assumption comes from. I think it also shows northerners/Stark men, so I think Brienne's left flank will be a mix of troops.

Jorah speaks Dothraki, and he also understands Westerosi battle tactics, so it would make sense to let him lead the Dothraki since he can issue commands and coordinate with the rest of the forces.

While it would make sense to have a 2nd dragon rider, can we really expect Jon to ride Rhaegal in battle after one joy ride? And so far, what we've seen of the dragons is that they all kinda follow Dany without the need for individual dragon riders.

31 minutes ago, Forlong the Fat said:

They haven't really made show Royce much like book Royce. It's a bit disappointing. Book Royce is a bad man.

But they haven't established much in the show that would suggest Royce as an outstanding warrior or commander.

I believe in season 6, Littlefinger threatened Royce with Sweetrobin ordering his execution, but then he convinced Sweetrobin by saying it would be a shame to lose such an experienced commander, or something like that.

Archived