Battlefield Commands/Assignments

Using cavalry to charge at this enemy is stupid. They're not going to break and run, and your horses are more likely to panic. Not to mention, this is supposed to happen on snow/ice. That being said, out of all the cavalry forces in the world, the Dothraki are probably the best choice, if you are going to have cavalry - they can shoot bows while moving, so give them obsidian arrowheads and tell them to go to town. While the show has shown a Dothraki use a whip only once, another thing they could do is fix obsidian shards at the end of their whips, or set them on fire, and use those to harass the flanks of the enemy.

But most of the army should be on foot, and horses kept in reserve to mount up if you have to abandon the field (and Winterfell) hastily.

I'm not really sure why they seem so dead-set on making a big stand here. And rather than evacuating people southwards, towards White Harbor, they're just having them there. All the useless mouths go down in the crypts, everyone else fights, and based on most characters' opinions, die. 

I wasn't imagining their morale breaking.....The physical force of hundreds of cavalry charging into a large group,  be they zombies or humans, with the advantage of hitting them in the flank, lessons the amount of swords swinging back at you, and pushing them into the trench of fire in front of WF......its got to be better than a frontal charge, and getting surrounded.???

3 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

Which one from the books? There’s two Lord Royces in the books: Bronze Yohn, who is featured in the show, who loses two sons: Waymar, a Night’s Watch ranger and the first onscreen kill of the show, and Robar, a Kingsguard of Renly who is killed shortly after Renly’s assassination. Bronze Yohn leads a group of Vale lords opposed to Littlefinger The other Lord Royce is Nestor Royce, who is in Littlefinger’s pocket; he has been in charge of the Vale during Jon Arryn’s time as Hand of the King. His daughter Myranda is an acquaintance of Sansa.

The one in the show is Rohn and, as I mentioned, he’s not much like the one in the book, who is as big as the hound and beats Eddard and Ser Roddrick at the same time in practice.

1 hour ago, Jora the Explorer said:

I wasn't imagining their morale breaking.....The physical force of hundreds of cavalry charging into a large group,  be they zombies or humans, with the advantage of hitting them in the flank, lessons the amount of swords swinging back at you, and pushing them into the trench of fire in front of WF......its got to be better than a frontal charge, and getting surrounded.???

That is not feasible against such a large mass. And the horses don't quite charge into masses of people like we saw in Jackson's Return of the King.

Forgive me if someone mentioned this already, BUT there was one big, roaring omission from the battle plans!! They did not even mention the fact that the Night King has his own dragon! They made a point in episode 1 for Bran to tell Dany, but there has not been mention of it ever since. That should be your #1 concern. That tips the scale a bit because they don't necessarily know what will kill a wight dragon.

20 minutes ago, HungLikeHodor said:

Forgive me if someone mentioned this already, BUT there was one big, roaring omission from the battle plans!! They did not even mention the fact that the Night King has his own dragon! They made a point in episode 1 for Bran to tell Dany, but there has not been mention of it ever since. That should be your #1 concern. That tips the scale a bit because they don't necessarily know what will kill a wight dragon.

I think the assumption was the NK and his dragon will wait until the right moment and then swoop in on his dragon to take out Bran, so they are anticipating it to play out that way, and at that time, Jon and Dany also take off to take out the NK. the plan won't work, mind you, but that is how I see it all playing out. It is possible that they drive off the NK though, temporarily, making a withdrawal feasible. 

3 hours ago, Corvinus said:

That is not feasible against such a large mass. And the horses don't quite charge into masses of people like we saw in Jackson's Return of the King.

And the Dothraki don't have the large horses nor the lances and other armament used by heavy cavalry.

The wights wont break, like live humans if hit by a horse charge.  They will simply turn around, grab the horses and pull them and the riders down.  By this point, we should assume that the AotD is at least 150,000 strong.  Likely more. 

Any charge by the Dothraki would be a suicide charge.  Which then swells the AotD by their number.

34 minutes ago, Error-504 said:

I think the assumption was the NK and his dragon will wait until the right moment and then swoop in on his dragon to take out Bran, so they are anticipating it to play out that way, and at that time, Jon and Dany also take off to take out the NK. the plan won't work, mind you, but that is how I see it all playing out. It is possible that they drive off the NK though, temporarily, making a withdrawal feasible. 

This.

That is the plan.  And it won't work as expected (plans hardly do, just ask Tyrion).  In the preview, we see Jon standing in front of what looks to be the heart tree, with Longclaw out, so something has him dragonless.

5 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Using cavalry to charge at this enemy is stupid. They're not going to break and run, and your horses are more likely to panic. Not to mention, this is supposed to happen on snow/ice. That being said, out of all the cavalry forces in the world, the Dothraki are probably the best choice, if you are going to have cavalry - they can shoot bows while moving, so give them obsidian arrowheads and tell them to go to town. While the show has shown a Dothraki use a whip only once, another thing they could do is fix obsidian shards at the end of their whips, or set them on fire, and use those to harass the flanks of the enemy.

This is what the Dothraki should do until they run out of arrows or space.  Then withdraw.  This is what they should have been doing for the past couple of days, actually.

6 hours ago, TwiceBorn said:

Because of Jon's ingenious plan of dashing towards NK, getting ambushed along the way and losing his whole army in the process.

Whatever you do, don't give Jon any command. Onion Knight should do.

That's not quite the plan.  The plan is to encourage the NK to come directly after Bran.   Then go after him with Drogo and Rheagal.  The NK is the one that is supposed to do the dashing.

Archived