Chance for Benjen to return alive to the wall

Lady Winter Rose

This question makes me remember how Ghost found that cache of dragonglass blades and arrowheads. It was wrapped in a black cloak, and it clearly hadn't been there very long. I feel like Benjen must have had something to do with that, although I must admit I don't have any other pieces of the puzzle.

2 hours ago, Lady Winter Rose said:

Let say Benjen is alive, despite all reason. Where's he? With Children of the Forest, trapped just like Bran, Reeds & Hodor?

Har! The tunnels and caves are vast. It is entirely possible Benjen leads Bran and companions through Gorne's Way.

14 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Har! The tunnels and caves are vast. It is entirely possible Benjen leads Bran and companions through Gorne's Way.

Benjen lives for sure. I think he will help bran back after hodor takes a dirt nap

5 minutes ago, Impbread said:

Benjen lives for sure. I think he will help bran back after hodor takes a dirt nap

I dunna think Hodor takes a dirt nap.

Spoiler

The reason in my opinion the you know what killed off Hodor is Bran actor kid grew and Hodor could not carry Bran on his back in a basket.

Martin has to get Bran back to WF some way or another.

Or does he? Martin could leave Bran in the cave.

Just now, Clegane'sPup said:

Hide contents

The reason in my opinion the you know what killed off Hodor is Bran actor kid grew and Hodor could not carry Bran on his back in a basket.

I think there is no reason for bran to leave the cave. He can do everything he might want within the cave. The really big doubt is what will happen to meera. 

Because I don t believe meera will leave years inside the cave… At most she will die when the WW attack and bran transports his consciusness into the weirwood net.

4 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Hide contents

Bran is leaving that cave. I will bet my left nugget. Benjen going to throw him on a horse or a sleigh like the ice clans. Hi

There are a few options.

Yes, there is a back door. Except the back door is a sink hole. How does one get up or down a sink hole?

The entrance of the cave Bran and companions used which is warded and has wights hanging round.

Bran and companions were in starvation mode when they arrived at the CotF cave.

26 minutes ago, Impbread said:

Benjen going to throw him on a horse or a sleigh like the ice clans. Hi

Naw, nope.

26 minutes ago, divica said:

I think there is no reason for bran to leave the cave. He can do everything he might want within the cave. The really big doubt is what will happen to meera. 

Because I don t believe meera will leave years inside the cave… At most she will die when the WW attack and bran transports his consciusness into the weirwood net.

Basically, I am asking, you think the ward on the cave will be broken and that the Others (White Walker) minions aka the wights will invade the cave?

3 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

The entrance of the cave Bran and companions used which is warded and has wights hanging round.

Bran and companions were in starvation mode when they arrived at the CotF cave.

Naw, nope.

Basically, I am asking, you think the ward on the cave will be broken and that the Others (White Walker) minions aka the wights will invade the cave?

Yes. Even the books we are led to believe that the 3ec is important. It makes no sense to be a huge threat to the world but unable to enter into a cave with an important target in the middle of the territory of the ww. I think it is only a matter of winter coming so that the ww are stronger. 

However, I have no idea if the cotf and bran's friends all die or some escape

2 minutes ago, divica said:

Yes. Even the books we are led to believe that the 3ec is important. It makes no sense to be a huge threat to the world but unable to enter into a cave with an important target in the middle of the territory of the ww. I think it is only a matter of winter coming so that the ww are stronger. 

However, I have no idea if the cotf and bran's friends all die or some escape

You and I are not communicating.

Martin leaves Bran and his companions in the CotF cave

OR

Martin comes up with an escape plan.

The back door is three leagues away. The back door is a sink hole.  Google that.

The CotF cave is warded and the wights canna enter, nor can Coldhands.

The opening post asks about Benjen:

4 hours ago, Lady Winter Rose said:

Let say Benjen is alive, despite all reason. Where's he? With Children of the Forest, trapped just like Bran, Reeds & Hodor?

I said ----

1 minute ago, Clegane'sPup said:

You and I are not communicating.

Martin leaves Bran and his companions in the CotF cave

OR

Martin comes up with an escape plan.

The back door is three leagues away. The back door is a sink hole.  Google that.

The CotF cave is warded and the wights canna enter, nor can Coldhands.

The opening post asks about Benjen:

What I am saying is that even if his friends escape I don t think bran will leave the cave. That he will be fused into the weeirwood net by the time the NK arrives. 

4 minutes ago, divica said:

What I am saying is that even if his friends escape I don t think bran will leave the cave. That he will be fused into the weeirwood net by the time the NK arrives. 

Thank you for spending the time to clarify that for me. 

Just now, Clegane'sPup said:

Thank you for spending the time to clarify that for me. 

And I think that his friends might escape because it sounds like a huge waste for meera and the cotf to die protecting the cave. While as far as I know when bran becomes the 3ec he might be able to live inside the weirwoods or something.

18 hours ago, divica said:

when bran becomes the 3ec

What makes you think Bran becomes the 3ec?

Doesn't BR tell Bran he only watched him?  BR never admits communicating with Bran nor does BR respond to the image of the 3ec when Bran is talking about it. 

Isn't this from the abomination?

2 minutes ago, the Other Wolf said:

Doesn't BR tell Bran he only watched him?  BR never admits communicating with Bran nor does BR respond to the image of the 3ec when Bran is talking about it. 

Bran clearly thinks that BR is the 3ec. However BR never admits to being the 3ec.

Or are you referin to 3ec as a title? In that I think you are right… Honestly now I am bit confused...

1 hour ago, the Other Wolf said:

This is a risky personal opinion for me. My thought is Bran does not become the 3ec. Bran is however a warg and a skinchanger who has had a mystical experience by participating in a ritual that allows him have visions.

I know I keep yapping about this but in the five books proper there are a minuscule amount of references to Brynden Rivers aka Bloodraven.

Hundreds of pages concerning Bran & companions struggling through intense winter weather and starvation to get to Bran's three eyed crow. Bran gives a brief description of Coldhands:

A Dance with Dragons - Bran I    "He's dead." Bran could taste the bile in his throat. "Meera, he's some dead thing. The monsters cannot pass so long as the Wall stands and the men of the Night's Watch stay true, that's what Old Nan used to say. He came to meet us at the Wall, but he could not pass. He sent Sam instead, with that wildling girl."    Meera's gloved hand tightened around the shaft of her frog spear. "Who sent you? Who is this three-eyed crow?"     "A friend. Dreamer, wizard, call him what you will. The last greenseer." The longhall's wooden door banged open. Outside, the night wind howled, bleak and black. The trees were full of ravens, screaming. Coldhands did not move/

Bran and companions eventually arrive at their destination.  Let's add into the mix --- Coldhands was looking for someone --- Coldhands and ravens save Sam, Gilly & babe --- Coldhands takes Sam, Gilly & babe to the Black Gate --- Coldhands canna pass.   Sam, Gilly & babe climb up a well --- Sam leads  Bran and companions back down the well  and through the Black Gate, which is located at the Night Fort to Coldhands --- Bran & companions continue on their journey to end up at the Children of the Forest cave where they are introduced to what Bran describes as the corpse lord.

A Dance with Dragons - Bran II    His body was so skeletal and his clothes so rotted that at first Bran took him for another corpse, a dead man propped up so long that the roots had grown over him, under him, and through him.    What skin the corpse lord showed was white, save for a bloody blotch that crept up his neck onto his cheek.   His white hair was fine and thin as root hair and long enough to brush against the earthen floor. Roots coiled around his legs like wooden serpents. One burrowed through his breeches into the desiccated flesh of his thigh, to emerge again from his shoulder. A spray of dark red leaves sprouted from his skull, and grey mushrooms spotted his brow. A little skin remained, stretched across his face, tight and hard as white leather, but even that was fraying, and here and there the brown and yellow bone beneath was poking through.    "Are you the three-eyed crow?" Bran heard himself say. A three-eyed crow should have three eyes. He has only one, and that one red. Bran could feel the eye staring at him, shining like a pool of blood in the torchlight. Where his other eye should have been, a thin white root grew from an empty socket, down his cheek, and into his neck.    "A … crow?" The pale lord's voice was dry. His lips moved slowly, as if they had forgotten how to form words. "Once, aye. Black of garb and black of blood." The clothes he wore were rotten and faded, spotted with moss and eaten through with worms, but once they had been black. "I have been many things, Bran. Now I am as you see me, and now you will understand why I could not come to you … except in dreams. I have watched you for a long time, watched you with a thousand eyes and one. I saw your birth, and that of your lord father before you. I saw your first step, heard your first word, was part of your first dream. I was watching when you fell. And now you are come to me at last, Brandon Stark, though the hour is late."/

Now, unless a person has read the short stories that were combined into a book titled Knight of the Seven Kingdom's a person would not get the Bloodraven, 1001 eye and the splotch nod.

Old maester Aemon Targ went to the Wall.  Bloodraven and his Raven Teeth accompanied Aemon.     Bloodraven became Lord Commander of the Nights Watch.    LC BR disappeared on a ranging at approximately the age of 77 in year 252.  The ASOIAF saga opens in the year 297(?) and at the end of DwD it is year 300/1.

Sooooooo, in keeping with the thread title and the opening post does Benjen Stark, First Ranger of the NW (under LC Mormont), who has been mia since the first book show up again in WoW?      Is Benjen Stark dead or did Benjen find safety somewhere?

4 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Sooooooo, in keeping with the thread title and the opening post does Benjen Stark, First Ranger of the NW (under LC Mormont), who has been mia since the first book show up again in WoW?      Is Benjen Stark dead or did Benjen find safety somewhere?

I like the idea that the others kidnapped benjen and transformed into some kind of other champion. It would be interesting to have a stark other… And benjen could even have a dialogue with jon/bran explaining something about the others.

2 hours ago, divica said:

I like the idea that the others kidnapped benjen and transformed into some kind of other champion. It would be interesting to have a stark other… And benjen could even have a dialogue with jon/bran explaining something about the others.

Okay, cool.

LC Mormont sent Benjen Stark and six rangers on a mission to find Waymar.

Remember Waymar from the prologue of A Game of Thrones?

The prologue that introduced the Others.

Rykker and Halfhand set upon looking for Benjen. They do some sweeps but find nothing except some marks on some trees.

Two of Benjen's men, Othor & Flowers turn up dead outside Castle Black's wall.

Shock and awe --- sometime after the dead bodies are brought though CB's wall,  Othor & Flowers reanimate.

Then LC Mormont decides ride forth from CB looking for Benjen.

Goodness gracious, Benjen Stark and four others are mia.

Because I am a Starkie I hope that Benjen is alive somewhere out there in the winter wonderland.

To the OP, i think the odds are 50/50 Benjen is alive and 50/50 he goes anywhere at all.   Benjen is likely, I believe at least, to be one of those characters who may have a piece of the R+L=J story...and the mysterious disappearance of Lord Commander Bloodraven, maybe Craster's deal with the Others or even why those pesky Others are roaming about now.  He's a Stark.   He's gonna know things or at least be able to figure things out.   I sorta thought he disappeared on a ranging just like...you guessed it, Bloodraven.   We don't know if the Others were out and about or even if the Wildlings were as menacing, but disappearing on a ranging is a damned weird thing for a guy as skilled as Bloodraven and Benjen is a respected 1st Ranger.   Maybe Benjen fell into or became captive or mesmerized or what ever really happened to Bloodraven.  Mormont was serious about the Others' threat and he was serious about the Wildling threat as he perceived it.   There is no reason at all to believe that Jeor would not have shared the same thoughts with Benjen that he shared with Jon and/or Tyrion.   They knew things were happening north of the Wall well before Jon showed up.   

Because Benjen has such strong similarities to Bloodraven (in my mind) I tend to think he is alive.  Because Benjen likely has key information on a couple of huge subjects he's almost got to return to offer up his pieces.   As our friend @Clegane'sPup described quite well, there are many places a Ranger could turn up and that timely gift at the Fist of the 1st Men was awfully well placed.   

Archived