Sansa and Royce

I believe you misunderstood. Ser Royce was saying that as soon as the infantry was out in the field, they should shut the gates, but Sansa said there were still people coming in from the countryside and they should keep the gates open as long as possible.

I usually have to watch an episode three times to catch all the little bits of dialogue. They often seem to mumble. Drives me nuts. But I know here we were supposed to be hearing it the way Dany was hearing it.

6 hours ago, SansaJonRule said:

Ser Royce was saying that as soon as the infantry was out in the field, they should shut the gates, but Sansa said there were still people coming in from the countryside and they should keep the gates open as long as possible.

Correct. Royce is somehow discussing preparations for the battle and conveying the current situation to Sansa.

Sansa making one more "smart" decision. That's all.

This is the second episode where Royce and Sansa were “caught” talking together by someone else. I view this as D&Ds version of foreshadowing that some conspiracy is afoot. Don’t think Sansa has I’ll intent, but so think there will be a payoff where Royce and his troops save the day somehow with a plan that only he and Sansa knew about. 

2 minutes ago, unJon said:

but so think there will be a payoff where Royce and his troops save the day somehow with a plan that only he and Sansa knew about. 

Possible, but I don't think so.

Royce is just her current adviser for preparation. He started this already in S7.

1 minute ago, Vuron said:

poor Sweetrobin, who the show seems to have forgotten

Who needs him? Who wants him? He's a nutcase and one of the dew characters that were too unrealistic to me. I am glad if we don't see him again.

41 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

Who needs him? Who wants him? He's a nutcase and one of the dew characters that were too unrealistic to me. I am glad if we don't see him again.

He is Lord of the Vale, one of the seven kingdoms in Westeros. Therefore he is an important person in Westeros politics and there are many persons, who want a high standing with him or who want him dead or whatever else.

Again. Another scene people are trying to look for more than what is going on. Royce is one of Sansa's most trusted people. They were preparing for the battle. Nothing more. No grand conspiracy or involvement with SweetRobin.

Sometimes a rock is just a rock.

2 hours ago, Haskelltier said:

He is Lord of the Vale, one of the seven kingdoms in Westeros.

This is wrong.

Yohn Royce is Lord of Runestone, a bannerman to both House Stark and House Arryn.

Lord Robin Arryn is Lord of the Eyrie, Warden of the East und Lord Paramount of the Vale of Arryn. Petyr Baelish was Lord Protector of the Vale until his execution.

2 hours ago, Haskelltier said:

Therefore he is an important person in Westeros politics

Not "therefore", but he is anyway one of the last older and established Lords left. 

Sansa and Lord Royce grew close together since she is Lady of Winterfell. They supposedly worked together in the prelude to sentence Petyr Baelish to death. 

In the moment he is main adviser of Sansa with regards to battle preparations and organisation.

5 minutes ago, State Trooper said:

Sorry, I asked this before but didn't get a reply. Can someone tell me what D&D is, please?

The writers of the show: David Benioff & D.B. Weiss.
D&D for short.

I like the Sansa Royce relationship. The Royces are capable of running the Vale as Stewards for Robin and Sansa (one of Robin's closest relations) learned a lot in the Vale from them.  If any two people can tackle the massive task of garrisoning Dany and her army and looking after the north at the same time... 

12 hours ago, SansaJonRule said:

You really don't like Sansa, do you?

Well, Sansa was depicted for six seasons as naive, dumb, wannabe-queen and fell again and again for tricks of Cersei and Baelish. I like the actress, I like the performance, but I don't like the girl. She acted dumb for six seasons. 

Now we are not shown how smart she is, but just told how smart she has allegedly become. I don't like this style of story-telling. Meanwhile I have to accept it. Sansa is not only told to be smart, but supposed to be smart. OK, fair enough.

The first smart Sansa dialogue is in S8E2. Before that, not so much. 

I would have liked Arya not so say "she is the smartest person" but something along "She grew up, learned the game, is more cunning now". That would fit the reality much better. 

Positive statements:

Sansa has survived a lot of hardship and abuse, she learned everything the hardest possible way. But she learned it eventually. She now understands how the game is played. She finally understood Baelish motives and she sentenced him to death for it.

She has a good heart, cares about common people and is shown to apply common sense. She is typical Northern and fights for the North in her way, as woman, with her tongue.  

2 hours ago, House Cambodia said:

why is Royce at Winterfell without anyone else from the Vale?

The Knight of the Vales are supposed to be there. They mention them shortly. We just don't see them. We will see them fighting in E3 on Brienne's flank.

20 hours ago, Kajjo said:

This is wrong.

Yohn Royce is Lord of Runestone, a bannerman to both House Stark and House Arryn.

Lord Robin Arryn is Lord of the Eyrie, Warden of the East und Lord Paramount of the Vale of Arryn. Petyr Baelish was Lord Protector of the Vale until his execution.

Not "therefore", but he is anyway one of the last older and established Lords left. 

Sansa and Lord Royce grew close together since she is Lady of Winterfell. They supposedly worked together in the prelude to sentence Petyr Baelish to death. 

In the moment he is main adviser of Sansa with regards to battle preparations and organisation.

I was talking about Sweetrobin (aka Robert Aryn). Or at least I thought you were talking about him in the text I quoted (you quoted a text, which mentioned him and you didn't mentioned anyone else, so I thought your "him" referred to him). You asked why Robert Arryn is an important person and I answered your question.

After Robert Arryn Yohn Royce is the most important and most powerful lord in the Vale, so its only logical for the showrunners to take him as the representative of the lords of the Vale. Yes, there should be more Vale lords in Winterfell beside Royce, but the showrunners have always tried to cut the number of characters to a minimum, so that the average watcher of the show doesn't get confused. Its the same with the Northern lords. You hear from Lord Glover now and then, you see and hear Lady Mormont talking, but everyone else is only standing around (if they are lucky; there are dozens of higher and smaller lords in the North, who aren't mentioned at all).

And thats the reason why I don't see any intent of the showrunners for a conspiracy or whatever when they show Sansa talking with Royce. The showrunners want to show us a busy Sansa ruling Winterfell, organizing the logistics, listening to people and giving commands. Thats all.

A new, unknown conspiracy is very unlikely, because there are only 4 episodes left and there simply isn't enough time to begin a new plot and finish it properly in the short amount of screentime left (and there is hardly enough time to finish the White Walker and Cersei plot properly).

Archived