NBA Playoffs 2019 - Kawhi So Serious?!

Relic

I mean...if you don't say Warriors/Rockets you are trolling, right?

Obviously if I have a rooting interest still it will be with Denver's series.  But Warriors/Rockets seems to be the result of a season long of hype.

I had to squint to make sure that the Utah Jazz are winning at halftime behind the scoring of... Jae Crowder and Ricky Rubio? Wish I'd been watching, that's one bizarre box score so far. 

100% non-basketball aside:

Spoiler

I always root for Utah for one completely random reason: I know a gal who hooked up with Rudy Gobert, before his huge contract. Apparently he was a really down to earth guy, though I only heard the (more detailed than I'll relay here) story from our mutual friend. So any time he gets attention, I inevitably grin knowingly. Said gal is about to marry another great guy (who is also really tall, but so is she), but said friend and I will share a giggle forever that she missed out on a 100 million dollar contract by only a few months.

Anyway, I agree that this 2nd round could be really entertaining. I have absolutely no confidence in any of the matchups. Every series, I think you can make a pretty reasonable argument for any team to move onto their conference finals. That assumes Denver finally defeats pesky San Antonio, who yet again are showing how amazing a coach Pop is. Here's a really fun article about Pop and his renowned dining acumen.

7 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

Anyway, I agree that this 2nd round could be really entertaining. I have absolutely no confidence in any of the matchups. Every series, I think you can make a pretty reasonable argument for any team to move onto their conference finals. That assumes Denver finally defeats pesky San Antonio, who yet again are showing how amazing a coach Pop is. Here's a really fun article about Pop and his renowned dining acumen.

Fully agree with all of the above. If i were a betting man, which im not outside the realm of poker, i wouldnt be able to handle this second round. I'd love to pick the Bucks but i actually have no idea how these games will play out. 

And Pop is THE single best thing about the NBA. I fucking LOVE that guy. 

Both Eastern Conference matchups should be great, but obviously Warriors-Rockets is the main event. Portland-Denver might prove to be quality too, but I think Portland is going to destroy whoever they face. That back court is on fire right now.

Also, in a year where Giannis leapfrogged several other superstars, has Lillard passed Westbrook? The triple-doubles are impressive, he’s averaged them for three straight seasons, but he’s the worst volume shooter I’ve ever seen.

15 hours ago, Relic said:

To be continued...

What second round match up are you guys looking forward to most?

14 hours ago, SkynJay said:

I mean...if you don't say Warriors/Rockets you are trolling, right?

Obviously if I have a rooting interest still it will be with Denver's series.  But Warriors/Rockets seems to be the result of a season long of hype.

I am not as high on Rockets/Warriors as some people are, and I'm definitely not trolling.  I think that the Rockets are worse than they were last year, and the only hope they really have is that GSW might be worse as well.  Which is possible, but I'm not really counting on it.  It's a good series, almost assuredly the best series we'll get in the West this year, but I think this rematch will fall short of last year's series.

On the other hand, both the East series are exciting and new.  The Bucks have emerged this year and I am really excited to see them tested against a Celtics team that might be putting it all together.  Likewise the Raptors vs Sixers is two teams that have both bet big on themselves (which I always love in the NBA when so many teams lack the stones to push their chips to the middle).  These teams are both talented and desperate not to fall short, but one of them inevitably will.  Plus some great matchups.  Leonard vs Butler, Embiid vs Gasol, Lowry vs himself, the list goes on. 

9 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I am not as high on Rockets/Warriors as some people are, and I'm definitely not trolling.  I think that the Rockets are worse than they were last year, and the only hope they really have is that GSW might be worse as well.  Which is possible, but I'm not really counting on it.  It's a good series, almost assuredly the best series we'll get in the West this year, but I think this rematch will fall short of last year's series.

The Rockets team that entered the season had certainly taken a step back, but they retooled throughout the season and are now basically the same team as last year with Harden taking his game to the next level. Don’t be shocked if they beat the Warriors, who are probably a lesser team than they were last year and are incredibly dysfunctional.

Lowry vs himself

:lmao:

Well played!

59 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Also, in a year where Giannis leapfrogged several other superstars, has Lillard passed Westbrook? The triple-doubles are impressive, he’s averaged them for three straight seasons, but he’s the worst volume shooter I’ve ever seen.

I think so.  I think we are seeing a reshaping of superstar picture.  LeBron isn't done but his reign of best in the world is over.  Paul and Westbrook won't lock up all-star starter spots automatically.

It is an exciting time because it isnt a gradual change; new superstars are forcing their way into the conversation. 

37 minutes ago, SkynJay said:

I think so.  I think we are seeing a reshaping of superstar picture.  LeBron isn't done but his reign of best in the world is over.  Paul and Westbrook won't lock up all-star starter spots automatically.

It is an exciting time because it isnt a gradual change; new superstars are forcing their way into the conversation. 

I still think LeBron is the king, but man did that footage of Kuzma pushing him hurt that image. But otherwise I agree. We’re seeing a changing of the guard in real time and a lot of new stars are emerging

I know the Rockets will advance... but seeing that Oh-fer from deep for an entire quarter while Donovan Mitchell outscored them really raised some ugly memories.  Hard to really believe in them over the Warriors.

5 hours ago, Rhom said:

I know the Rockets will advance... but seeing that Oh-fer from deep for an entire quarter while Donovan Mitchell outscored them really raised some ugly memories.  Hard to really believe in them over the Warriors.

It happens. Worry about Houston's defense, not their offense. 

2 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

What an absolutely absurd shot to take. It must feel great to have that much confidence in anything.

To be fair... if he missed it, they just go to overtime.

Archived