NBA Playoffs 2019 - Kawhi So Serious?!

Relic

6 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

They are also probably 26-2 in their past 28 games where KD does not play. :rolleyes:

I'm sure Curry's win/loss stats compares favourably regardless, but I honestly can't take these kind of comparisons seriously. Just use the last three seasons for both. 

If I had the full data set, I would have posted it. What that snapshot does tell you though is that Curry is more important than Durant without being better. Midway through the season I came across a stat that made this abundantly clear. Curry was shooting above 50% from outside of 30 feet. The rest of the league was shooting 25% from the same distance. That ability to space the floor is what makes the Warriors so different from everyone else.

Alrighty now, three hours until the ping pong balls bounce. @Relic, @Mexal and @Fez must be sweating bullets right now. The differences between first, third and fifth are gargantuan.  @briantw at least gets to relax due to having won a championship recently. And yet still, I'm really rooting for Cleveland to not get the first pick. Not because I have anything against them, but because I don't want Zion to have to follow LeBron, who is really his only player comp. 

Should be a fun night.

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Alrighty now, three hours until the ping pong balls bounce. @Relic, @Mexal and @Fez must be sweating bullets right now. The differences between first, third and fifth are gargantuan.  @briantw at least gets to relax due to having won a championship recently. And yet still, I'm really rooting for Cleveland to not get the first pick. Not because I have anything against them, but because I don't want Zion to have to follow LeBron, who is really his only player comp. 

Should be a fun night.

5th pick here we come.

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Should be a fun night.

Looking forward to seeing how it shakes out.  Will Cain is saying that if the Knicks win, they will trade the pick to New Orleans for Anthony Davis. :dunno: I'm not sure how I feel about that.  I love me some Brow... but Zion is a guaranteed draw.  But then on the third hand you have all the rumors that are saying Kyrie and KD are a sure thing to NY.  If that's the case, then adding the Brow makes the Knicks the odds on favorite to win the East next year IMO.

I also love all the speculation today that the Lakers should trade LeBron to Philly for Ben Simmons.  I don't know if that's the right place... but I do think they should trade LeBron.  Its obvious they aren't going to be able to get pieces around him, so do you really want whiny LeBron for the last few years of his career?

1 minute ago, Rhom said:

Looking forward to seeing how it shakes out.  Will Cain is saying that if the Knicks win, they will trade the pick to New Orleans for Anthony Davis. :dunno: I'm not sure how I feel about that.  I love me some Brow... but Zion is a guaranteed draw.  But then on the third hand you have all the rumors that are saying Kyrie and KD are a sure thing to NY.  If that's the case, then adding the Brow makes the Knicks the odds on favorite to win the East next year IMO.

I also love all the speculation today that the Lakers should trade LeBron to Philly for Ben Simmons.  I don't know if that's the right place... but I do think they should trade LeBron.  Its obvious they aren't going to be able to get pieces around him, so do you really want whiny LeBron for the last few years of his career?

AD is fine and probably the right move in a vacuum but I much prefer Zion. I love young talent and I want to watch him play often.

11 minutes ago, Rhom said:

We keep hearing KD and Kyrie, but if I were KD and I've decided I'm leaving the Bay area, the only person I'm targeting to play with is Kawhi. Imagine if those two teamed up.

As far as trading Zion goes, I think you really have to ask yourself if you want three players on max contracts. Yes those three would immediately become the best collection of stars, but what could you build around them? It might be smarter to just keep Zion on the cheap because his rookie wage scale contract will run parallel with what two stars you can bring to NYC.

Crazily enough, Dallas would actually be a good fit, but IDK what they'd offer.

That being said, I think we can say with confidence that Simmons will not only never be able to shoot, he might always be afraid to. I don't want that, as much as I like all the other aspects of his game. 

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

As far as trading Zion goes, I think you really have to ask yourself if you want three players on max contracts. Yes those three would immediately become the best collection of stars, but what could you build around them? It might be smarter to just keep Zion on the cheap because his rookie wage scale contract will run parallel with what two stars you can bring to NYC.

The more I think on this, the more I don't want to trade Zion if we get that pick. But it's the Knicks, they'll fuck up whatever they do.

11 minutes ago, Mexal said:

The more I think on this, the more I don't want to trade Zion if we get that pick. But it's the Knicks, they'll fuck up whatever they do.

At this point I'd say just get away from social media and check in after it's already decided. I know my stomach was a mess while waiting to see if we got the rights to draft KAT a few years back. It wasn't a fun night. 

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

At this point I'd say just get away from social media and check in after it's already decided. I know my stomach was a mess while waiting to see if we got the rights to draft KAT a few years back. It wasn't a fun night. 

That's the plan. I'm going to watch Sneaky Pete Season 2 with the wifey and ignore it.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Had it solidified for KAT by the lotto show?  I know most of the season it had been all about Okafor (how does that look now?!!? :stunned: ) and it was really just at the end that Towns became the presumptive pick.  

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

If I had the full data set, I would have posted it. What that snapshot does tell you though is that Curry is more important than Durant without being better. Midway through the season I came across a stat that made this abundantly clear. Curry was shooting above 50% from outside of 30 feet. The rest of the league was shooting 25% from the same distance. That ability to space the floor is what makes the Warriors so different from everyone else.

That's not the point. My point was that the statistic was obviously cherry picked to emphasise a point which screams dishonesty. It feels contrived and takes away from the point being made. It devalues the comparison. 

My post was directed to you, but it was really just bristling at the journalists and "stats analysts" in general.

Shitty night to be a Bulls fan.

Tonight was a pretty clear message to tanking teams: Don't fucking do it anymore. All four worst teams moved down. I feel bad for Zion, he didn't sound that excited about NOLA, and for good reason - they just don't have much of a fanbase there. Davis kept a good attitude for years, his team couldnt do crap with him, and eventually he got petty and wanted out. Will be interesting what they do with Davis now. Does he still have his "That's all Folks!" shirt he wore to their last home game?

Archived