NBA Playoffs 2019 - Kawhi So Serious?!

Relic

That went just about as I figured it would. Never lucky, this Knicks organization. As long as Dolan is in charge we're FUCKED. 

Pelicans probably can't wait to unload Davis now. Would be smart of them to get another draft pick and grab up another Duke dude to make Zion happy 

2 hours ago, Relic said:

That went just about as I figured it would. Never lucky, this Knicks organization. As long as Dolan is in charge we're FUCKED. 

Pelicans probably can't wait to unload Davis now. Would be smart of them to get another draft pick and grab up another Duke dude to make Zion happy 

Davis to the Knicks for pick 3 and Kevin Knox?

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Davis to the Knicks for pick 3 and Kevin Knox?

I mean....Yes...If we can get him to commit to resigning. But who else is on that team? Are we assuming Durant comes? 

4 hours ago, Relic said:

If you would like, we can trade teams. I could be a Knicks fan, and then you can be a Hornets fan?

10 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Pleasant surprise to see the Griz beat the odds and get the #2 pick. I am all aboard the Ja Morant bandwagon!

On the whole this draft really flies in the face of the "NBA draft is rigged" narrative.  New Orleans has mismanaged Anthony Davis and didn't deserve Williamson at all.  Memphis is one of the NBA's smallest markets, but they're still picking #2.  The Cavs got #3, but seeing how they had the second worst record, that's nothing special.  The Lakers moving up to four is nice for them, but seeing how this is a draft with a clear top 3, the 4th pick is more of a consolation prize.  And the Knicks drop in a big way.

I'll admit it's possible that lottery was once rigged, but looking at the past 10-15 years, the argument for it is very, very thin.  Yes, New Orleans won the lottery when they were owned by the league, and that helped pad the NBA's coffers, but that team was the 3rd worst in the league so hardly a "crazy" coincidence.  Beyond that?  Small market teams actually seem to do a bit better than big markets.  Does the NBA just have a soft spot for Cleveland and New Orleans? 

11 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

That's not the point. My point was that the statistic was obviously cherry picked to emphasise a point which screams dishonesty. It feels contrived and takes away from the point being made. It devalues the comparison. 

My post was directed to you, but it was really just bristling at the journalists and "stats analysts" in general.

Actually I don’t think it’s cherry-picked. I think those are actually the two separate records over the last three seasons.

I really, really, really wish ZIon had gone to any number of teams other than New Orleans. Nothing against the city, it's a favorite of mine to visit. It's going to take a lot of luck, strong front office moves, and marketing to get people in that city to really invest in the Pelicans, though. They're die hard for their Saints, to be sure. Maybe Zion will be such a phenomenon (along with whatever moves they make trading off Davis and Holiday for youth) that they develop something more than what happened in the Davis era, which was a bunch of disappointing teams and general fan malaise.

As a St Louis area native, I feel like the Pelicans are like the Rams when they were here. Just "that other team" that has a small, passionate fanbase, a lot of totally casual fans that knew a few player names but never went to a game (like me for the Rams). 

I'm just so goddamn bummed about the Bulls, guys. This new system flattening the lottery did its job and punished the four shitty teams. We have a FO whom are loathed by a large contingent of fans, an owner who just sees us as a cash cow for his White Sox, an unnecessarily-extended rookie coach, and an unimpressive cast of flawed players. Surely someone available at #7 will become a star, but I have zero faith it happens with us. I'm just one cranky son of a bitch right now, and going to focus on baseball the rest of the summer. Damnit.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Actually I don’t think it’s cherry-picked. I think those are actually the two separate records over the last three seasons.

It is. They could have simply done past three seasons. If you extend the streak to a game before, it is probably going to be 2 losses instead of 1. Who knows what the record is like before the streak?

13 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

It is. They could have simply done past three seasons. If you extend the streak to a game before, it is probably going to be 2 losses instead of 1. Who knows what the record is like before the streak?

I think that is the total record over the last 3 seasons. KD has missed 38 regular season games and 4 playoff games since joining the Warriors. Over that same time Curry has missed 46 regular season games and 6 playoff games. It’s not inconceivable to believe that there have only been 28 games in which KD missed and Curry played, and in those the Warriors are now 27-1.

What? Something is wrong somewhere.

Curry missed 52 games, Durant goes 26-26 without Curry. That means that Durant played all the games that Curry missed. 

Durant missed 42 games, Curry goes 27-1 without Durant. That means that Durant and Curry missed 14 games together.

Unless I'm missing something, both can't be true. Durant can't simultaneously play all the games that Curry missed and also miss 14 games that Curry also missed.

Edit - Besides, the phrasing is pretty explicit. If it were past three seasons for both, it would be easier to say so rather than put out a different criteria.

>95% of the time I think Stephen A is knowingly playing the role of a wrestling heel, but he is legit going insane today. He’s attacking everyone at ESPN for laughing at him and Knicks fans in general. It’s pretty damn funny.

8 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

What? Something is wrong somewhere.

Curry missed 52 games, Durant goes 26-26 without Curry. That means that Durant played all the games that Curry missed. 

Durant missed 42 games, Curry goes 27-1 without Durant. That means that Durant and Curry missed 14 games together.

Unless I'm missing something, both can't be true. Durant can't simultaneously play all the games that Curry missed and also miss 14 games that Curry also missed.

I noticed that too. I tend to trust Basketball Reference, but I’ll have to check another site or see if I miscounted. However, I do recall reading an article around midseason that looked at how the Warriors played when they were missing one of their Big 4, and it was clear that Curry was the one they missed the most.

7 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I noticed that too. I tend to trust Basketball Reference, but I’ll have to check another site or see if I miscounted. However, I do recall reading an article around midseason that looked at how the Warriors played when they were missing one of their Big 4, and it was clear that Curry was the one they missed the most.

Feels like we are talking past each other. I get that your point is that Curry is the most important, but I'm not contesting that. It just annoys me that stats are misrepresented frequently.

After being down big early, I’m genuinely surprised the Bucks came back.  I was prepared to reiterate my point on the NBA playoffs being cruel to the young.

What an amazing win for the Bucks when I was feeling somewhat confident that we were gonna give up game 1. Brook went OFF and it was so nice to see again. This team has so much hustle and explosiveness in pivotal second half moments, it's so goddamn exciting (and nerve wracking) to watch as a fan lol. 

BUCKS IN 5

Archived