NBA Playoffs 2019 - Kawhi So Serious?!

Relic

Ha, I called Warriors by 3 at the half (I was betting 4 before the game started against the 7 in the official spread) in front of a packed bar in Berkeley.

I expect Warriors in 5 with Portland taking one at home.

@Triskele dunno how it makes you feel but amongst the diehard Warriors fans, born and bred in Oakland, Damian Lillard is a hometown hero here. Portland is the only team acceptable to win it all ( so long as they win it all) against the Warriors because of Lillard.

40 minutes ago, Triskele said:

ETA2:  Calf strain?  I stand by my earlier statement way upthread that this was an Achilles, just not the full rupture.  Dude is injured.  

Uhhhh... A strain IS an injury involving torn muscles fibers. Just depends on the severity. 

1 hour ago, Triskele said:

Dude, for some reason I thought you were a DC/Maryland type of guy.

That's why Dame wears the 0 for Oakland!  

Ha! I lived in Northern Virginia about 5 (maybe 6) years ago when the DC BwB was going strong so I posted far more then than I do now. I'm actually a Knicks fan..... but having grown up in Brooklyn and with the Knick's organization as it is.. very much considering switching allegiances to Brooklyn. Growing up I always wanted a major team for Brooklyn but switching allegiances rubs me so wrong.

That said, I've watched every Warrior's game here for the last 2 seasons and they are fun to watch.

8 hours ago, Triskele said:

Of course.  I should have italicized "injured."  

ETA:  Point being, the calf muscle and Achilles tendon are not one and the same.  I think he injured the tendon.  

I dunno why you'd think so. Any sort os muscle tear can be a huge problem for an athlete. An Achilles would likely mean the end of his season, btw. 

7 hours ago, WarGalley said:

Ha! I lived in Northern Virginia about 5 (maybe 6) years ago when the DC BwB was going strong so I posted far more then than I do now. I'm actually a Knicks fan..... but having grown up in Brooklyn and with the Knick's organization as it is.. very much considering switching allegiances to Brooklyn. Growing up I always wanted a major team for Brooklyn but switching allegiances rubs me so wrong.

That said, I've watched every Warrior's game here for the last 2 seasons and they are fun to watch.

Where in BK did you grow up? Greenpoint here. 

A muscle strain comes in three degrees. A first degree tear means 1 thru 5 percent of muscle fibers are torn at the site of injury. A 2nd degree strain means 5 to 99 percent. As you can see that's quite the leap. A third degree strain means a full tear. Durant likely has a 2nd degree strain. 

3 minutes ago, Relic said:

A muscle strain comes in three degrees. A first degree tear means 1 thru 5 percent of muscle fibers are torn at the site of injury. A 2nd degree strain means 5 to 99 percent. As you can see that's quite the leap. A third degree strain means a full tear. Durant likely has a 2nd degree strain. 

I work at a hospital, and while I didn't ask for specifics, I talked to a few MDs I'm cool with and they all think his injury is a lot worse than is being disclosed based on it being non-contact and they way he came up afterwards. 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

I work at a hospital, and while I didn't ask for specifics, I talked to a few MDs I'm cool with and they all think his injury is a lot worse than is being disclosed based on it being non-contact and they way he came up afterwards. 

I guess we will see. A second degree strain can mean weeks, if not months. It can occur when a muscle cramps as you make a strong move, occasionally, so could explain the no contact nature of it. Honestly, if it were Achilles, he'd be out for the rest of the season. Which may be in play, but I'm not sure why people are assuming this is the case. 

3 minutes ago, Relic said:

I guess we will see. A second degree strain can mean weeks, if not months. It can occur when a muscle cramps as you make a strong move, occasionally, so could explain the no contact nature of it. Honestly, if it were Achilles, he'd be out for the rest of the season. Which may be in play, but I'm not sure why people are assuming this is the case. 

I was told best case scenario is 2-4 weeks to be game ready, worst is 3 months, assuming they’re not hiding anything. And given that Durant is about to get the last major pay day of his career, I suspect he’ll protect himself rather than coming back too early. He’s already had one significant lower body injury.

That was so pathetic. I'm not sure if there's some weird curse with me watching the Blazers, because literally every time I've watched a Portland game, Dame has been straight trash. Like, I had to look up his stats when I read discussion online about him being better than Kyrie because he's been so bad every time I've watched. Tonight was another one of those nights. He was quite frankly, terrible and has been for this series for the most part. This was pretty similar to the NOP series last year where they just double-triple teamed Dame the whole time during their sweep, except like, the team around him was played better this time around - it just wasn't enough to mitigate his garbage play this time. 

At this point, I’d say it’s pretty obvious the Warriors are better without KD.  Which is pretty amazing that you can say that about perhaps the best player in the NBA.

I wonder if that will factor into his decision this summer?  Will he feel the need to leave to prove that he can lead a team?

8 minutes ago, Triskele said:

The guys on ESPN are seriously obsessed with saying "they need KD to beat Milwaukee or Toronto."  Is this a joke?  I would heavily favor GS without KD over Toronto.  And I think I'd favor them over Milwaukee and expect that Vegas would too.  

I think Durant gives the Warriors a major advantage when they're going up against a team with an elite wing player.  The Blazers don't have that, but both Toronto and Milwaukee do.  

As a side note, I really wish Denver had advanced.  I think they would at least have made a series without Durant competitive.

Kind of agree that GS really needs Durant back to face Milwaukee. Which is a sentence that if you had pronounced it 12 months ago, would be utterly laughable. But they do. Don't mistake the way they can walk over this less than 100% Portland side ( which was always going to get thrashed by GSW as they always do, even when fully healthy) for GSW being ok without Durant. I'm not buying it.

7 hours ago, briantw said:

As a side note, I really wish Denver had advanced.  I think they would at least have made a series without Durant competitive.

I agree with this, with the caveat that the series could still very well be 3-0 but 'feel' closer.  GS would have struggled against Jokic, I don't know anyone on the squad could have stopped him.  But the supporting cast couldn't come through against Portland, so I'm not sure how they would have handled Draymon and Klay on the wings.

I think we would be lamenting the wasted Jokic 36 point triple double type night on loss after loss. Each game may have just not felt so inevitable in the second half.

As for Dame, I am struggling to support the superstar status I was giving him not that long ago.  Sweep last year.  One good shot this year followed by a series in which he was the third best player on his team at best (I know Triskele disagrees with my assessment on that series).  And now he is hurt and completely shut down.  Some people are not playoff made and Dame is rattled by high traps and hasn't seemed to improve since NO shut him down last year.  Last night JVG showed a stat that he has more turnovers than FG this series.  That is bad news for the future.  

Toronto v Bucks 3rd game was just exhausting. Went 2OT's before the Raptors finally wore down the Bucks and squeaked it out. 

Giannis fouled out in OT, two Raptors fouled out and a few of the remaining players on the court were at 5 fouls as well.

Bucks starters were all extremely cold especially Bledsoe and Middleton. Giannis at least was dominant on the boards and had several assists.

In the end Toronto was able to win a "do or die" game at home and avoid going down a fatal 3-0.

Archived