Relic

NBA Playoffs 2019 - Kawhi So Serious?!

We'll know soon enough in a week or two when all is settled on the court. Ive seen enough surprizes in athletics to rarely assume contests are forgone conclusions.

3 hours ago, Triskele said:

I think that Houston, Denver, Portland, OKC, and San Antonio would all have great chances to win series against Milwaukee or Toronto, and I might even bet on all of those western teams.  And I would give Utah and LAC a puncher's chance too.  And yet here's GS having just shredded their way back to their 5th straight finals whether KD plays or not.  Someone tell me why this thinking is actually wrong and why Milwaukee or Toronto has earned this level of respect yet.

I think you are conflating reasonable chance of upsetting with being the favourites in the match up. They have a good chance that they can win turning into they will probably win. I think the same can be applied to GS as well as Milwaukee and Toronto, except that of course, GS already played some of those teams.

Also, you are a disastrous showing from the free throw line and a Draymond three in the closing seconds of OT away from a potential even series. I wouldn't call that shredded. Credit to GS for holding their nerve and pulling it out, but it wasn't a trashing by any means outside of the first game.

Denver, Portland and Spurs have no one to guard Giannis or Kawhi. They would likely be swept by the Bucks or Raptors. 

@briantw

I don’t normally listen to Stephen A past the opening segment, but was that you who just called in?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

@briantw

I don’t normally listen to Stephen A past the opening segment, but was that you who just called in?

I don't have cable and even if I did I wouldn't be watching that joker.

And if you're talking radio, I either listen to podcasts or audiobooks during my commute.

Edited by briantw

1 hour ago, briantw said:

I don't have cable and even if I did I wouldn't be watching that joker.

And if you're talking radio, I either listen to podcasts or audiobooks during my commute.

Lol. The reason why I asked (jokingly) is because someone called in trolling him saying the Bucks were going to lose because they traded away Dellavedova. And trust me, the guy was deeply dedicated to the trolling. 

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Lol. The reason why I asked (jokingly) is because someone called in trolling him saying the Bucks were going to lose because they traded away Dellavedova. And trust me, the guy was deeply dedicated to the trolling. 

Haha that's great.  I'm not a Delly die-hard like a lot of Cavs fans.  I like him like I like most guys who play for the teams I root for, but that's about the extent of it. 

To be honest, I haven't watched a ton of basketball this year since the Cavs basically spent the first half of the season as a rudderless ship.  They did get kind of fun to watch once Love got back.  It was amazing the impact he had on the development of Sexton.  Sexton looked terrible early but he ended the season looking like a legit offensive weapon and his great three point shooting was an awesome development.  Apparently the kid lives in the gym and doesn't give a shit about anything other than basketball.

I'm also intrigued by the Beilein hire.  Seems like a good sign that a highly respected coach was willing to make the leap to the NBA to the Cavs, and I read today his contract is four years and nineteen million, which is basically what he was making at Michigan.  So clearly the move wasn't a cash grab.  Actually looking forward to next season now.  Love seems to be the perfect fit for his offense.

16 minutes ago, briantw said:

Haha that's great.  I'm not a Delly die-hard like a lot of Cavs fans.  I like him like I like most guys who play for the teams I root for, but that's about the extent of it. 

I honestly think you should listen to it. It's something like 2/3rds of the way through the first hour. 

To be honest, I haven't watched a ton of basketball this year since the Cavs basically spent the first half of the season as a rudderless ship. 

You're preaching to the choir here. The Wolves were such a disaster this year, and at this point I can no longer expect anything from Wiggens other than random games were he explodes.

Apparently the kid lives in the gym and doesn't give a shit about anything other than basketball.

That's how Kawhi became the player he is today. Hope for the best. :cheers:

Bucks looking awfully good early.

Posted (edited)

This is a great game with ten minutes to go in the 4th.

Two more thoughts on the rant I've been on without going through each response.

GS is not just talented but about as mentally tough a team as we've ever seen.

The bottom of the East is still shit.  And the East is still weak.  Chris Middleton made the all star team.  WTF.  So I'm amazed that the move for so many people is to give max respect to Toronto and Milwaukee while dismissing the incredible, dynastic era that GS is still smack in the middle of.  I feel like I'm on crazy pills.  

Edited by Triskele

We are still talking about GS without KD right?

Bottom of the East is shit, but we're talking about the top two seeds. Surely they deserve some respect?

12 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

We are still talking about GS without KD right?

Bottom of the East is shit, but we're talking about the top two seeds. Surely they deserve some respect?

Yes on the first question.  And yes, I should drop it.

No, the top 2 seeds in the East do not automatically deserve the level of respect that they're getting compared to GS without KD especially considering how they are both newcomers and especially because GS without KD has just done what they've done.  

Welp, it's been a fun run this year, but I have to be realistic about dropping 3 games in a row and giving up home court advantage. We have been just terrible since our 2-0 start, it's pathetic. Not sure how much of this is bad coaching vs. players under performing, but it's definitely both. 

And this is why they should announce the MVP BEFORE the playoffs begin. It's supposed to be a regular season award, but even as a fucking diehard Bucks fan, these playoffs have changed my mind on who deserves to be the MVP. That's ridiculous. 

17 minutes ago, IamMe90 said:

Welp, it's been a fun run this year, but I have to be realistic about dropping 3 games in a row and giving up home court advantage. We have been just terrible since our 2-0 start, it's pathetic. Not sure how much of this is bad coaching vs. players under performing, but it's definitely both. 

And this is why they should announce the MVP BEFORE the playoffs begin. It's supposed to be a regular season award, but even as a fucking diehard Bucks fan, these playoffs have changed my mind on who deserves to be the MVP. That's ridiculous. 

You would vote for Harden over Giannis now?  Because no one else was winning it.  Is Kawhi better than Giannis?  Of course, we knew that at the start of the season, 5 games in, 30 games in, 82 games in. he didn't play enough games because they wanted him rested for now.

1 hour ago, Triskele said:

Yes on the first question.  And yes, I should drop it.

No, the top 2 seeds in the East do not automatically deserve the level of respect that they're getting compared to GS without KD especially considering how they are both newcomers and especially because GS without KD has just done what they've done.  

I mean if we are talking GS with a healthy KD, I'll agree that they are the favourites. 

The fact that they are newcomers is a strong point, but I do think that we should give them the benefit of the doubt. I'm also not that impressed by GS win over the Blazers. Over the Rockets maybe, but that was just one game and a quarter.

59 minutes ago, IamMe90 said:

Well, if its any consolation, Van Vleet matched Lowry's 7/9 in game one. I'll say the same thing as I did then. That's not a repeatable performance. He did do 3/3 in the previous game though, so he might just be getting hot.

And yeah, the timing of the regular season awards is stupid. The dripping of the news is stupid. I don't get it at all. 

48 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

I mean if we are talking GS with a healthy KD, I'll agree that they are the favourites. 

But we're not.  100% my point is that GS is still the favorite even if my lunatic theory that KD has been done since the moment of the injury turns out to be true....My point is that GS will beat Toronto or The Good Land even if KD is not available.  Not only is this true, this is obviously true.

Look at the bunched up West from GS, to Denver to SA to Portland to Houston to Utah to LAC...how would Toronto or Milwaukee have disrupted this?   Obviously, they would not have.  So therefor in logic most pure it is GS until otherwise.  

What is the powerful motivation to see it otherwise?

2 minutes ago, Triskele said:

But we're not.  100% my point is that GS is still the favorite even if my lunatic theory that KD has been done since the moment of the injury turns out to be true....My point is that GS will beat Toronto or The Good Land even if KD is not available.  Not only is this true, this is obviously true.

Look at the bunched up West from GS, to Denver to SA to Portland to Houston to Utah to LAC...how would Toronto or Milwaukee have disrupted this?   Obviously, they would not have.  So therefor in logic most pure it is GS until otherwise.  

What is the powerful motivation to see it otherwise?

I just don't agree. Putting GS and Houston and maybe Denver aside, I think Toronto and Milwaukee would be clear favourites. You can give the rest a decent chance of upsetting, but they are underdogs to me. Surely you are not saying that they would lose in the first round in the West?

26 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

Surely you are not saying that they would lose in the first round in the West?

I am certainly saying that this possibility exists.  Do you think that there's a measurable difference between Toronto and OKC?  

1 minute ago, Triskele said:

I am certainly saying that this possibility exists.  Do you think that there's a measurable difference between Toronto and OKC?  

Yes. Definitely. PG was hurt and Westbrook has been looking off the whole season. Not sure I will give them the edge even when healthy either.

Again, possibility of losing does not equal likely to lose. Plausible is not probable.

On sky sports news the presenters are so lazy the are just referring to him as Giannis, to avoid fucking up the pronunciation of his surname.