Going to Weddings

DMC

13 hours ago, DMC said:

Funny, I woulda thought > age in bride/groom ages + > in marriages would =  > of ultimately resulting in hedonistic orgies, if you waited around long enough.

This. First marriages are all about romance and fairy tales and what not. The ones after that are more realistic and devolve into to drunken affairs. At least that’s been my experience.  

13 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

This. First marriages are all about romance and fairy tales and what not. The ones after that are more realistic and devolve into to drunken affairs. At least that’s been my experience.  

In my experiences, personally and professionally, the first ones and their romance is done with right around the time dancing starts and the bar opens back up.

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

This is precisely the same as i have observed working as part of the bar/waiting staff at numerous weddings. Though sometimes speeches are before the meal (i remember distinctly as the chef was getting angry because they overran). Just make it through the meal and you should be free to wander and mingle - in fact its almost expected. The hotel i worked in had the top table on a stage at the front of the room, and once the main meal was over and done with it was mostly a storage area for coats, gifts etc of the wedding party.

be as rude as possible to bar and waiting staff

someone will get ridiculously drunk and start a fight

As to the top part quoted: If the person doing the coordination doesn't have a proper timeline established with the wedding party, the dj, the kitchen and waitstaff, then they're not doing things right.  

Of course the wedding is about the bride. I'll always do all in my power to see thnigs go they way she wants, but if asked, and it happens more than you think, I always recommend front loading the dinner with the speeches, cake cutting, things that the wedding couple want people paying attention to. If you do it as dinner begins and finishes as it ends with the first dances, you've captured the attention of the guests because they're hungry and don't want to miss food.  Then you have the kitchen in line as well.  Sure there is a risk with the speeches being long, but I always limited it to the main ones, best man, maid of honor, parents (if they want), bride and groom (if they want). If the whole wedding party wants to give speeches, that gets added in at the tail end of dinner service.

As to the second quote: That sucks and you're serving in the wrong part of town.  No matter what, service staff doesn't need that.

As to the third line quoted: Oh? You're in Southeast Wisconsin too then? :p

11 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

In my experiences, personally and professionally, the first ones and their romance is done with right around the time dancing starts and the bar opens back up.

As to the top part quoted: If the person doing the coordination doesn't have a proper timeline established with the wedding party, the dj, the kitchen and waitstaff, then they're not doing things right.  

Of course the wedding is about the bride. I'll always do all in my power to see thnigs go they way she wants, but if asked, and it happens more than you think, I always recommend front loading the dinner with the speeches, cake cutting, things that the wedding couple want people paying attention to. If you do it as dinner begins and finishes as it ends with the first dances, you've captured the attention of the guests because they're hungry and don't want to miss food.  Then you have the kitchen in line as well.  Sure there is a risk with the speeches being long, but I always limited it to the main ones, best man, maid of honor, parents (if they want), bride and groom (if they want). If the whole wedding party wants to give speeches, that gets added in at the tail end of dinner service.

As to the second quote: That sucks and you're serving in the wrong part of town.  No matter what, service staff doesn't need that.

As to the third line quoted: Oh? You're in Southeast Wisconsin too then? :p

Nah, third line is universal :P 

1 minute ago, HelenaExMachina said:

In fact, one memorable wedding this person was the bride. Who actually hopped onto the bar and took a bottle of sambucca off the shelf and stuck her head under the John Smiths nozzle. As we had her card details and she was stopping in the hotel we figured it was less risky to just charge her later than risk manhandling her off the bar and potentially injure her.

She also ended up in a fight with her bridesmaid, who was also her sister. Mother of the bride reduced to tears, mother in law screamed at the groom that he had married into the Fockers. It was an entertaining night

7 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I think the joke went over your Eurocommie head. There are more bars than grocery stores in Wisconsin. The state is famous for being a haven for drunks.  

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

For gods sake arrange transport home beforehand

This one often annoys me.  Actually, the last wedding I went to last year was one of my old phud friends, and the mrs. and him actually arranged for buses to take attendees back to the main hotel they had suggested.  That was pretty cool.

Best wedding I went to at a hillside church in Northern California by the ocean, bright sunny day too. The church actually had some gardens, other areas with an ocean view. Might have even been a view from inside.

Worst was not the wedding's fault, but flying in from California, a monsoon rainstorm in Chicago shut down flights at Ohare and I slept on the airport floor to get the 1st flight to the East in the morning. Got to wedding barely and wiped out, but it was enjoyable, meaningful and I survived.

On 4/23/2019 at 10:56 PM, Tywin et al. said:

Since we're talking weddings, I am going to be a groomsmen at the end of the summer. Is it worth it to take a few dancing classes since it's been awhile?

Given that this is an ASOIAF board, I take it this is a reference and you're thinking about getting into shape for the fighting? 

I usually develop a last minute flu bug, mail the gift a few days later and enjoy the day as I please normally in the company of my dogs who do not demand I dress appropriately or indeed at all, endure the chicken dance and eat bad food. My wedding attendance policy is avoid at all costs. If I ever bother with the process myself, which is doubtful,  it's widely accepted I will just do it and maybe inform loved ones at a later time like in the next decade so this is not hypocrisy. I will not ask you to come endure these things for me, either. 

7 hours ago, mormont said:

Given that this is an ASOIAF board, I take it this is a reference and you're thinking about getting into shape for the fighting? 

Anyone ever seen any GoT homage at a wedding?  If my brother in law ever gets married i’ll definitely get Raines of Castermere played.  Other more extreme stuff springs to mind - cutting the uterus shaped cake?  Wolves heads for the bridal party? 

1 hour ago, larrytheimp said:

Cannabis edibles, a hipflask, maybe a bullet and some nicotine gum and you are 100% set all the way through the dumb shit.  And grandma will be impressed you came prepared.

I've thought about bringing weed, but I'm getting too old to risk smuggling it on a plane even if I use the trusty shampoo trick, and I don't know where to get any in Tampa.  Grandma would not be impressed with a flask.  Not sure a bullet would be helpful, I don't do coke anymore so if I did I'd probably all of a sudden be REALLY interested in what the groom's parents have to say for no particular reason.  Grandma, and most of my family, would like the nicotine gum, but that's never worked for me.  Just makes me want cigarettes more.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

I've thought about bringing weed, but I'm getting too old to risk smuggling it on a plane even if I use the trusty shampoo trick, and I don't know where to get any in Tampa.  Grandma would not be impressed with a flask.  Not sure a bullet would be helpful, I don't do coke anymore so if I did I'd probably all of a sudden be REALLY interested in what the groom's parents have to say for no particular reason.  Grandma, and most of my family, would like the nicotine gum, but that's never worked for me.  Just makes me want cigarettes more.

Dude, it’s Florida. You’ll find some easily. Hell, you can probably just get some medical stuff.

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Dude, it’s Florida. You’ll find some easily. Hell, you can probably just get some medical stuff.

I know people in Tampa, but none of them smoke, and I'm not gonna go trolling around town asking random people for herb.  And no, medical wouldn't work.  Doctor:  "So I see you haven't been to a doctor in over a decade, but now you are for the one week you're here because of what exactly?"

The best wedding I ever attended was my sisters, (not mine lol) .  As we grew up in Pgh, and her groom was Italian, they had the money dance.  Which was great for me, because as the matron of honor, and my sister had decided to not invite extended family, and invite more friends, I knew most of her and her groom's friends.  And when you pay for the money dance, you get a shot.  And as I knew most of them, I did a shot with them.  I think my husband poured me into the elevator that night after it was over.  I'm not sure, as I'm not quite sure how I got to bed, I only remember what he told me later.  We had started drinking champagne that day about 2pm, so I even had a light buzz during the ceremony.

But what I do remember about her wedding, was the hotel ran out of Captain Morgan's.  And had to send someone to the liquor store right after dinner, just as the dancing started to get more.  Fun times.  And somehow one of her friends got a picture of my husbands bare butt at the reception.??

What part of Tampa?  Ybor?  Cause you could just duck out real quick and have some fun, then go back.  If it's downtown Tampa - oh well that sucks. Other parts of Tampa could be ok, depending on which section.

Archived