The Night King's Possible other destination?

So as we talk about this subject, an article just popped up online about the NK going straight to Kings Landing or Oldtown. Neither city has any defenses against him, there are millions of potential new recruits and if he truly wants to erase all memory of humans then the Citadel is a major target.  And it's not like Bran can really leave Winterfell now, there is no time crunch for the NK, he can just leave Bran there and come back for him later, it's not like his troops are going to freeze or starve.

5 hours ago, Hound's She-wolf said:

So as we talk about this subject, an article just popped up online about the NK going straight to Kings Landing or Oldtown. Neither city has any defenses against him, there are millions of potential new recruits and if he truly wants to erase all memory of humans then the Citadel is a major target.  And it's not like Bran can really leave Winterfell now, there is no time crunch for the NK, he can just leave Bran there and come back for him later, it's not like his troops are going to freeze or starve.

Exactly. It's certainly what I would do if I was the NK. Like what you said. KL has defenses prapred for Dany's living dragons. I highly doubt those scorpions would do much against undead viserion.

After the end of season 7, I thought about this possibility as well: the NK flying to King's Landing, burning people all over the continent, and then turning them to wights. But now I wonder: can people killed with fire be turned? I mean, fire is one of the few things that kills wights... of course, we don't know the exact nature of un-Viserion's blue fire, so it may be possible.

18 minutes ago, LadyOlenna said:

After the end of season 7, I thought about this possibility as well: the NK flying to King's Landing, burning people all over the continent, and then turning them to wights. But now I wonder: can people killed with fire be turned? I mean, fire is one of the few things that kills wights... of course, we don't know the exact nature of un-Viserion's blue fire, so it may be possible.

Well, turning them all to wights means the NK has to stay there, it's not as if all the wights can hop on the dragons back and fly back north. 

1 minute ago, Error-504 said:

Well, turning them all to wights means the NK has to stay there, it's not as if all the wights can hop on the dragons back and fly back north. 

Well the dead don't need to rest or eat so I'd say if he kept them going at a consistent fast pace he could get them up there in ample time.

33 minutes ago, Error-504 said:

Well, not necessarily. Bran said that the NK wants to kill him, but that he also wants to kill all humans IIRC. It could be a good choice to start disseminating wights everywhere and to leave them do their job.

23 minutes ago, Error-504 said:

I like the theory, but highly doubt it will happen, Spoilers point in a different direction. However, it would make sense for the NK to do exactly this, from a tactical perspective. 

Pleeeease, don't mention spoilers, I did my best to keep myself spoiler-free!

To be honest, I don't really see that happening anyway (as I said in my first post, I believe that if the NK burns people then he can't wight them), but that said, I hope the AOTD will get to King's Landing. I want to see Cersei's face when she realises she's not that clever. It would be very disappointing if the AOTD is destroyed in the next episode.

8 minutes ago, LadyOlenna said:

Well, not necessarily. Bran said that the NK wants to kill him, but that he also wants to kill all humans IIRC. It could be a good choice to start disseminating wights everywhere and to leave them do their job.

Pleeeease, don't mention spoilers, I did my best to keep myself spoiler-free!

To be honest, I don't really see that happening anyway (as I said in my first post, I believe that if the NK burns people then he can't wight them), but that said, I hope the AOTD will get to King's Landing. I want to see Cersei's face when she realises she's not that clever. It would be very disappointing if the AOTD is destroyed in the next episode.

So if Bran is the primary target
Bran doesn't die next episode
Nk still has a dragon, and doesn't lose it next episode...........

.......Looks like the NK and his army never make it to KL
.......The Nk is finally defeated in episode 4?

Makes no sense for the NK to head to KL before Bran is dealt with.
Or does the NK die in the end of episode 3, WF is lost in the process?
Maybe they head to last Hearth, the survivors? Regroup for the final battle with Cersei? 

I will be disappointed if the War for the Dawn is contained and dealt with in just one episode. I really do hope the AOTD makes it down to KL. Which means I'm kind of hoping the Living lose the battle next episode which I think they will.

3 minutes ago, Adam_Up_Bxtch said:

I will be disappointed if the War for the Dawn is contained and dealt with in just one episode. I really do hope the AOTD makes it down to KL. Which means I'm kind of hoping the Living lose the battle next episode which I think they will.

Problem with that is in the episode 3 preview we here Jon say the NK is here. 

If Bran is the primary target, and Bran doesn't die, does the NK then just say screw it, leave Bran alive, and head to KL? 

doesn't make sense, unless bran is in KL. 

3 minutes ago, Error-504 said:

So if Bran is the primary target
Bran doesn't die next episode
Nk still has a dragon, and doesn't lose it next episode...........

.......Looks like the NK and his army never make it to KL
.......The Nk is finally defeated in episode 4?

Makes no sense for the NK to head to KL before Bran is dealt with.
Or does the NK die in the end of episode 3, WF is lost in the process?
Maybe they head to last Hearth, the survivors? Regroup for the final battle with Cersei? 

Maybe you're right, I don't know. I thought about the NK going straight to KL when I saw Viserion being turned, so I didn't know yet that Bran was his target.

So maybe the NK fights in Winterfell, and then maybe marches to KL... I just want to see Cersei realise she's fXXXXd! :D

I guess we will see what happens next week, I really can't wait!

5 hours ago, House Cambodia said:

The Army of the Dead is a huge mass of lumbering zombies, and I don't think we've seen any signs that the NK bothers with strategic thinking. They're more like a glacial-paced tsunami swallowing up one hectare at a time.

I would disagree. I think he has shown several strategic actions already.

The bodies of the rangers from Benjen's party were left close to the wall so that they would be found and brought back to Castle Black. One of them then tried to assassinate Mormont and destabilize the Night's Watch.

He kept the AotD a secret from the Night's Watch until they went north to the FotFM.

He attacked Hardhome before it was evacuated by sea, bolstering the AotD.

I also don't think it was a coincidence that Jon and the boys were able to capture a wight and bring it to King's Landing. It would give the Night King the ability to scout south of the wall.

He also kept the AotD away until he had a means to getting past the wall. Having the chains available to recover the dragon body would require planning too.

I think the Night King has been extremely strategic in his attack on the south.

12 hours ago, Error-504 said:

Problem with that is in the episode 3 preview we here Jon say the NK is here. 

If Bran is the primary target, and Bran doesn't die, does the NK then just say screw it, leave Bran alive, and head to KL? 

doesn't make sense, unless bran is in KL. 

Bran doesn't have to be in KL for the NK to go there. Bran can't leave Winterfell, the NK can leave most of his White Walkers and the northern dead army to keep them busy while he goes south and starts a second army there and come back for him. He can burn most of KL and whatever bodies are left over can be raised. Even if he burns 80% there are still hundreds of thousands left to join him. If his goal is to destroy all humans and human memories KL and Oldtown are prime targets.

Having said all this, I still don't think the show is going in that direction but I still love this idea and the image of Cersei's face when Gregor turns into a White Walker.

12 hours ago, Adam_Up_Bxtch said:

If this is going to be the greatest/longest battle sequence ever, I can't imagine that they would only deal with it in one episode, unless it's a two hour episode.

I think that is the 'bittersweet' ending Martin envisions, that humans are eventually the victors, but at such a great cost that the only thing left to rule over is a decimated wasteland and that magic finally leaves entirely. which would be sad.

Does NK use dragon to burn people or can the dead dragon freeze them?

It would be awesome twist if NK was to confront Cersei instead of battling at Winterfell. He'd turn Cersei to wight and Tyrion will be the one to kill Cersei. That would explain "the pale white throat" in the prophecy.

5 minutes ago, Deminelle said:

Does NK use dragon to burn people or can the dead dragon freeze them?

It would be awesome twist if NK was to confront Cersei instead of battling at Winterfell. He'd turn Cersei to wight and Tyrion will be the one to kill Cersei. That would explain "the pale white throat" in the prophecy.

I think the blue flames burns not freezes, otherwise the wall would have just gotten bigger and colder.

1 minute ago, Hound's She-wolf said:

I think the blue flames burns not freezes, otherwise the wall would have just gotten bigger and colder.

Ok.

Oh, and what will the dead dragon and living ones do when they meet? I suppose NK can't fly too close, because two would take one down. He must have some other plan...

If the Night King is not at Winterfell or King's Landing, a low-probability target is the Citadel.  There are hints for this during the war council meeting in Winterfell when Bran and Sam are talking about the Night King's goal of erasing the memory of the living.   Besides Bran's all-seeing third eye, the only other large repository of this memory is the massive volumes of knowledge(books, scrolls, and the other numerous scholarly items) located in the Citadel, which would include all the maesters residing there.  The Night King might decide to strike before the Citadel responds to the White Walker threat by dispersing and hiding all that knowledge.  The last time the Citadel maesters where shown, they cavalierly dismissed the threat as the wild imaginations of the Northerners.  It would be the height of irony if they looked up one night and saw a ice-fire breathing dragon hovering over Old Town about to roast them in the their own arrogance.

The thing about the Maesters is that they're not nearly as smart as they think they are. Their over-rational approach blinds them to the 'reality' of magic, maesters who get ejected such as Qyburn turn out to be more effective, and for all the books in their library, they miss a lot of key information such as what Sam (and Gilly) discovered.

Archived