So Now We Know...

Hi,

So, now we know what the NK and the WW want, at last, after much speculation:  They wish to not only exterminate all of humankind, but all memory of it as well through three-eyed-raven.  I hadn't heard this as a possibility before.   Of course, it does beg the question of how they will survive since they do need humans to survive.  Perhaps they will keep a few as slaves (e.g. The Princess Who was Promised) from time to time to accomplish this?

On another note, does anyone else think this is possibly the most boring episode of GoT to date?  E01 was OK: Hardly any new info, but interesting to watch characters react to facts we've known for 1.5 years.  E02 just shows how people are choosing to wait around with a tiny battle plan for the 100k army of the dead...

Hope this all goes well!  Of course in the words of Ramsay, "If you think this story has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention" (or thereabouts).

Happy Hunting,

5 hours ago, LadyNoOne said:

They wish to not only exterminate all of humankind, but all memory of it as well through three-eyed-raven.  I hadn't heard this as a possibility before.   Of course, it does beg the question of how they will survive since they do need humans to survive

I don't think they need people to survive. I think that the NK, the WW and the wights are all virtually immortal (aka they live forever unless killed).

But I also ask myself what's so great about this plan of the NK to kill all people and erase their history. So he'll "rule" over a frozen land with a lot of zombies. Sounds like a real fun. I get that he is supposed to be evil but this plan sounds too simple and with basically no aftermath. The situation would be different if he wants to keep living humans as slaves as suggested in the OP but it doesn't seem to be that case.

5 hours ago, LadyNoOne said:

On another note, does anyone else think this is possibly the most boring episode of GoT to date?  E01 was OK: Hardly any new info, but interesting to watch characters react to facts we've known for 1.5 years.  E02 just shows how people are choosing to wait around with a tiny battle plan for the 100k army of the dead..

Yes. We have last 5 episodes and they spent one of them by characters wandering around in different groups and talking about "good old times". Thank you, next.

E01 was more boring than E02, imo. Better dialogues in this episode. Now they have shared more information between each other and we know where they stand. 

I have to admit I'm less interested in NK than the humans. 

1 hour ago, Loge said:

Why would they need humans to survive? Are they even mortal? They need humans to multiply, but there's no need for that once the war is won.

Yeah, the WWs abduct babies and taken them to a temple in the north, and turn their eyes blue by touching them there on the cheek.  They grow up, and look like the white skinned, blue eyed humanish creatures we know.  If you see a soldier that looks dismembered, rotted, a skeleton (basically the Walking Dead version of a Walker) that is a wight, and they were converted by the WW to wights.  If you kill a WW, then you destroy all wights it created.

3 minutes ago, LadyNoOne said:

Yeah, the WWs abduct babies and taken them to a temple in the north, and turn their eyes blue by touching them there on the cheek.  They grow up, and look like the white skinned, blue eyed humanish creatures we know.  If you see a soldier that looks dismembered, rotted, a skeleton (basically the Walking Dead version of a Walker) that is a wight, and they were converted by the WW to wights.  If you kill a WW, then you destroy all wights it created.

P.S. That is the strategy to go after the NK, because he made every single WW and thereby all soldiers (wights).

3 minutes ago, a girl knows nothing said:

I still want to know why the Night King wants to destroy all of mankind and its memory. Is he just evil incarnate? Is it revenge for being turned by the children of the forest? I am not satisfied by only knowing what his aim is.

This is just a guess but I know how I would feel if someone had cursed me for thousands of years.  In anycase, destroying humanity is just part of his "programming".  When the CotF cast the dragonglass into his heart, they thought it would ensure their survival as the men would all be dead, but it backfired...

So, one theory is that the NK/WW/wights are just doing what they were programmed to do, or in another they may believe the curse will end by ending humankind as it remains now....   I have a feeling this will be revealed to us.

But if the dead can't get away across the seas there would always be humans left. Would they use ships to get everywhere else? Killing Bran is only to erase the memory of humankind but it wouldn't destroy all people, would it?

13 minutes ago, LadyNoOne said:

Minor nitpick here, but they don't abduct them. The children are sacrificed to them--Craster leaves his male children for the Others to turn into more Others. And there is one that was not sacrificed (Baby Sam). It's how Craster stayed alive all those years.

The book story doesn't matter at this point, but all of the WW probably have Stark blood. The Starks are to the Others what the Targs are to the dragons. 

15 minutes ago, a girl knows nothing said:

I still want to know why the Night King wants to destroy all of mankind and its memory. Is he just evil incarnate? Is it revenge for being turned by the children of the forest? I am not satisfied by only knowing what his aim is.

Good incarnate and evil incarnate have no meaning in this story. I will be even more disappointed than I am now if they turn him into a cookie cutter villain and he just wants to destroy the world after all. 

7 minutes ago, Ice Queen said:

Minor nitpick here, but they don't abduct them. The children are sacrificed to them--Craster leaves his male children for the Others to turn into more Others. And there is one that was not sacrificed (Baby Sam). It's how Craster stayed alive all those years.

The book story doesn't matter at this point, but all of the WW probably have Stark blood. The Starks are to the Others what the Targs are to the dragons. 

Thanks, yeah I thought I saw somewhere that "The Night's Watch" (not to be confused with the Night's Watch) who was formerly the 13th commander of the Night's Watch (thought to be a Stark) fell in loved and married a woman WW,  Or that's how I remember it...

1 minute ago, LadyNoOne said:

Thanks, yeah I thought I saw somewhere that "The Night's Watch" (not to be confused with the Night's Watch) who was formerly the 13th commander of the Night's Watch (thought to be a Start) fell in loved and married a woman WW,  Or that's how I remember it...

OOps, "The Knight's King"

9 minutes ago, LadyNoOne said:

This is just a guess but I know how I would feel if someone had cursed me for thousands of years.  In anycase, destroying humanity is just part of his "programming".  When the CotF cast the dragonglass into his heart, they thought it would ensure their survival as the men would all be dead, but it backfired...

So, one theory is that the NK/WW/wights are just doing what they were programmed to do, or in another they may believe the curse will end by ending humankind as it remains now....   I have a feeling this will be revealed to us.

I think the programming theory makes sense. As you said, they were created as a weapon against man. I'm not so sure about breaking the curse since they have been turning babies into more white walkers. Seems counter productive if you want to end your existence, unless they were trying to build up strength to destroy mankind. Also, I don't see how killing humans would necessarily break their curse/whatever you want to call it.

29 minutes ago, a girl knows nothing said:

I keep thinking that the Children of The Forrest may be the real enemy here. It feels like they have been controlling the Three Eyed Ravens, perhaps to cause the events that get men off of their continent completely.

1 minute ago, LadyNoOne said:

Thanks, yeah I thought I saw somewhere that "The Night's Watch" (not to be confused with the Night's Watch) who was formerly the 13th commander of the Night's Watch (thought to be a Start) fell in loved and married a woman WW,  Or that's how I remember it...

Yes, Old Nan says he was a Stark. Brandon Stark to be exact. When he gave his seed to her, he gave her his soul as well. (Stannis did exactly the same thing while impregnating Mel with shadow babies, incidentally.) 

24 minutes ago, Ice Queen said:

Good incarnate and evil incarnate have no meaning in this story. I will be even more disappointed than I am now if they turn him into a cookie cutter villain and he just wants to destroy the world after all. 

Agreed.  Everyone who was 'pure' evil or good seems to have been killed off.  We are left with a bunch of characters who are stuck somewhere in the middle of the morality scale.  

I wonder if the Night King wants relevant, useful information that resides in each of the 3-Eyed Ravens.  Bran told us that the NK had harmed other 3ER.  If the NK captures Bran, then he gets a massive download of information.  Many called the weirwood trees as the weirnet.  I would image the NK had zero access.  While this story has elements of power, and climate change, and fantasy, maybe the underlying story is about the information age.  I know - out there but a society that puts its history and knowledge in one person is doomed to die. I do predict, at the end of the story, we will see a council type government with representatives from the 7.  Bran will be gone.

Archived