So Now We Know...

16 hours ago, Ice Queen said:

Good incarnate and evil incarnate have no meaning in this story. I will be even more disappointed than I am now if they turn him into a cookie cutter villain and he just wants to destroy the world after all. 

Well prepare to be disappointed then. The WW/Others don't seem sentient enough for complex motivations....besides they already were a Zombie horde surging southwards and using the defiled corpses of their victims as puppets.

16 hours ago, Prince Jon said:

Everyone who was 'pure' evil or good seems to have been killed off. 

Birenne?
Quyburn?

I also wondered about NK wanting to kill all humans because while they don’t need humans to survive (as they appear immortal) they do need humans to carry on their species as far as I can tell (eg crastors babies to make new WW)

i kinda get people’s theory that they’re just doing what the cotf programmer them to do but they’re clearly not just mindless drones- NK seems to be able to think for himself and strategize lay traps etc 

prolly just need to stop questioning it and just accept what show says st face value, not hopeful we’ll get anything more 

13 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

Well prepare to be disappointed then. The WW/Others don't seem sentient enough for complex motivations....besides they already were a Zombie horde surging southwards and using the defiled corpses of their victims as puppets.

Birenne?
Quyburn?

Not sentient enough? They've been one step ahead the whole time. They're sentient enough to know how to make more of themselves, and how to make weapons capable of killing dragons. 

The wights may be undead berserkers, but the White Walkers are not.

On 4/23/2019 at 12:12 PM, LadyNoOne said:

This is just a guess but I know how I would feel if someone had cursed me for thousands of years.  In anycase, destroying humanity is just part of his "programming".  When the CotF cast the dragonglass into his heart, they thought it would ensure their survival as the men would all be dead, but it backfired...

So, one theory is that the NK/WW/wights are just doing what they were programmed to do, or in another they may believe the curse will end by ending humankind as it remains now....   I have a feeling this will be revealed to us.

I'm kind of tired of theories, I want explanations, and I honestly hope they'll give us something way better than this. This is inconsistent, because if all the WW want is to destroy humankind and its memory, why on earth haven't they done it already? Are we going to forget the show canon, that this is not the first time the WW "swept through cities and kingdoms riding their dead horses...".  How were they stopped then? Who was the first 3ER, and when did he live?

Are we going to believe that in 8 millenia, the WW weren't able to kill one single 3ER till Brinden Rivers, when Bran Stark let himself be marked and so destroyed the magic that protected the 3ER's "house"? Not a very competent killer, then.

Plus, even if we consider that after the first Long Night the Wall prevented them to  raid throughout the Seven Kingdoms until Danaerys provided them with a magic weapon, what on earth would preclude them from ending all human beings north of the Wall?? There were plenty of people there to kill too.

So, for some reason they forgot their "programming" for 8000 years, and suddenly they remember it again? These are all questions that need answer, and they're not providing one. 

7 hours ago, LucyMormont said:

because if all the WW want is to destroy humankind and its memory, why on earth haven't they done it already?

...because they were banned north of the wall and couldn't pass.

that this is not the first time the WW "swept through cities and kingdoms riding their dead horses...".  How were they stopped then?

By the Azor Ahai the first time, with his sword Lightbringer, then by all forces of the Living joining to build the wall and the Children of the Forest using the magic to make the wall safe.

Are we going to believe that in 8 millenia, the WW weren't able to kill one single 3ER till Brinden Rivers, when Bran Stark let himself be marked and so destroyed the magic that protected the 3ER's "house"?

The 3ER seems to have been protected by the Children of the Forest and their magic very well. It's a little bit absurd story, yes, but we are supposed to believe that. 

for some reason they forgot their "programming" for 8000 years, and suddenly they remember it again?

Yes, something has caused the awakening. WW have not been seen for a very long time and in S1E1 Ned Stark doesn't believe the deserter's reports. So yes, they have somehow been not so active and now they are. Why, we don't know yet.

These are all questions that need answer, and they're not providing one. 

I feel the same as you. I sincerely hope they will provide better explanations to his whole WW-NK-Bran-Children-Storyline, but I am afraid we won't get proper answers. We will just get enough to make some sense. Only the books will reveal the true connections.

On 4/24/2019 at 10:49 PM, LucyMormont said:

I'm kind of tired of theories, I want explanations, and I honestly hope they'll give us something way better than this. This is inconsistent, because if all the WW want is to destroy humankind and its memory, why on earth haven't they done it already? Are we going to forget the show canon, that this is not the first time the WW "swept through cities and kingdoms riding their dead horses...".  How were they stopped then? Who was the first 3ER, and when did he live?

Are we going to believe that in 8 millenia, the WW weren't able to kill one single 3ER till Brinden Rivers, when Bran Stark let himself be marked and so destroyed the magic that protected the 3ER's "house"? Not a very competent killer, then.

Plus, even if we consider that after the first Long Night the Wall prevented them to  raid throughout the Seven Kingdoms until Danaerys provided them with a magic weapon, what on earth would preclude them from ending all human beings north of the Wall?? There were plenty of people there to kill too.

So, for some reason they forgot their "programming" for 8000 years, and suddenly they remember it again? These are all questions that need answer, and they're not providing one. 

Well, obviously I'm not a GoT writer... I don't know that I can answer all of your questions.  There are two flanks of land to the west and to the east of the Wall.   (the east one is a little island).  Both castles that are nearest them used to be manned, but have not for centuries.  The WALL was keeping the WW, etc from getting enough through to destroy all of humanity.  Oh, and yes, those buggers were attacking the wildlings.  Why do you think they kept trying to come south too (as far as south goes)?  It was in their words: "To hide behind their Wall". 

Yes, of course it was the dead dragon that melted the Wall that changed the game in this case.

IDK about you, but I forget my "programming", too, each time I go to sleep for about 8 hours or so... I challenge anyone to do otherwise.

Cheers,

Why do the Others use a language that humans don't understand? The more humans forget the less communication is possible. So why make them forget?
Maybe the Citadel should be involved. Are those sun signs just mockery or a way to deeper understanding?

Why the Children of the Forest had no representative travelling back with Bran? Their powers are helpfull against the enemy and they could expect something in return from humans. Why would Bran keep that a secret in a situation where even every (one-handed) man is needed? Is Bran's memory at least partly a fake to spare the Children contact with humans but have impact on them anyhow? Truths to tell a lie or the other way around?

Is that a question of what kind of memory is progressive?
The Others make use of human inventions; next to weapons and animals to ride they even keep the dragon. Like a comic version of a Brotherhood without Banners they stop houses from propagate their special traits and stop culture from spreading ideas of distinction. A three (or tree?) eyed raven, THE medium of communication in that society, Bran threatens to set back things as they were, if he doesn't get the positive aspect of oblivion. You keep things by freezing them, you destroy things by burning them. But it seems all mixed up now.

4 hours ago, Tywin Tytosson said:

Nope.  I think that it was one of the best of the series.  :)  

The calm before the storm.

Upon further reflection, I must agree.  I like how the writing/acting portrays how people would really be inclined to react during such a situation..

:agree:

Archived