Is Benjen south of The Wall?

Lord Vance II

When it comes to Benjen my stance is pretty much given what we know, what could his purpose be? Until we find out more via text then all we can do is assume. 

Is it that he's completed his quest by getting Jon to the Night's Watch making him a minor character who's fate doesn't need to be explored in the books?

Or does he have a greater purpose to fulfil, if so how has he been involved so far?

As I said in regards to Syrio Forel and whether or not he's alive these theories tend to stem from people wanting these characters to be alive. 

Could Benjen being alive add any value to the story? Either way if he is we will find out with a great amount of detail which will be highly interesting. 

If he isn't then has the story really lost out on anything so far? 

Either way as it stands I don't mind either possibility. 

15 hours ago, Syl of Syl said:

This whole theory requires two questions to be answered to my mind - one is the motive for him to depart on a quest to the south and the other is the reason necessitating secrecy around his quest.

He does it because his vows are to protect the realms of men, and if that takes him south, so be it. The NW vows don't forbid him from leaving the Wall or the North. The only line that may give a hiccup is "I am the watcher on the Wall," but Benjen was never a literal watcher on the wall. 

It needs to be secret because either

A) We don't know because we don't know what the 3EC/Whoever sent him on this quest.

B ) It's a total mess down there. We have no idea what the timeline is of when/if Benjen went on this maybe mission, but if it happened anytime after or in the buildup of the Red Wedding, he wouldn't be safe. Even with his NW status the Boltons, Lannisters or any of their underlings would love to get their hands on a Stark, especially if they could use the excuse that he's abandoned his post to seize him. 

1 hour ago, Lord Vance II said:

It needs to be secret because either

A) We don't know because we don't know what the 3EC/Whoever sent him on this quest.

B ) It's a total mess down there. We have no idea what the timeline is of when/if Benjen went on this maybe mission, but if it happened anytime after or in the buildup of the Red Wedding, he wouldn't be safe. Even with his NW status the Boltons, Lannisters or any of their underlings would love to get their hands on a Stark, especially if they could use the excuse that he's abandoned his post to seize him. 

Clearly, neither Jeor Mormont nor Jon Snow have seen Benjen at any time since he disappeared. I don't think either of your options explain why he didn't report to his Lord Commander before departing on his mission. If he's keeping to his vows, there's no reason to keep his mission secret from his superiors. In fact, there's every reason to inform them of what he has learned and where/why he is going.

Benjen is a better fit for the 3-eyed crow than Bloodraven.  Benjen is a metaphorical crow (member of the night's watch); whereas Bloodraven is a metaphorical raven who used to (also) be a metaphorical crow.  Also, "3-eyed" suggests a 2-eyed person with second sight.  "1001 eyes" suggests a one-eyed person with lots of spies and familiars.  The 2 metaphors are not compatible.

So, if Benjen IS the 3-eyed crow, what does that imply about his location?

[...] Perhaps tonight the Old Bear will learn something that will lead us to Uncle Benjen.

He woke to the sight of his own breath misting in the cold morning air. When he moved, his bones ached. Ghost was gone, the fire burnt out. Jon reached to pull aside the cloak he'd hung over the rock, and found it stiff and frozen. He crept beneath it and stood up in a forest turned to crystal.

ACOK Jon III, Jon at Craster's Keep

My re-wording:

Perhaps tonight [we'll] learn something that will lead us to Uncle Benjen.

He woke to the sight of his own breath [NOT] misting in the cold morning air. When he moved, his bones ached. [His] ghost was gone, the fire burnt out. [Zombie Benjen] reached to pull aside the cloak he'd hung over the rock, and found it stiff and frozen. He crept beneath it and stood up in a Forest [of Children] turned to crystal.

Benjen was killed at Craster's Keep by the Children of the Forest, while he slept.

Benjen = Coldhands

For all you readers who think it doesn't make ANY sense, it is because you are treating Coldhands, the Children of the Forest, the 3EC and Craster as good guys.

They are not.

Bran & company are in big trouble.

Archived