Outcome of the Great War

JonSleet

I know this kids takes all the fu out of it but like we surely know that the living don't lose this battle. Like it's not going to end with humanity being wiped out. So essentially it's just a guessing game of who's going to die and the show runners trying to make it look as much like the living are going to lose before they make some crazy come back. 

Don't know if it's a cynical way of looking at it or not but it just occurred to me. 

I do think that eventually the Night King and the Others will get defeated, but I'm not too sure that it will happen in episode 3. I understand that the next episode is going to be a long one, and the whole thing will pretty much be one big battle, but it would be kind of shit in my personal opinion in the Others got defeated in one episode after 7 seasons of hype. 

I think that after next episode Winterfell will be lost, and the survivors will have to retreat further South, maybe even go to the Iron Islands. 

Pyrrhic Victory for the living & The Night King and Viserion escape for a future battle. Since the show has eliminated the militaries of several kingdoms, we are headed for a fairly evenly matched Targ v. Lannister fight. At least before taking into account Dragons and Wargs.

9 hours ago, JonSleet said:

I know this kids takes all the fu out of it but like we surely know that the living don't lose this battle. Like it's not going to end with humanity being wiped out. So essentially it's just a guessing game of who's going to die and the show runners trying to make it look as much like the living are going to lose before they make some crazy come back. 

Don't know if it's a cynical way of looking at it or not but it just occurred to me. 

No I agree. The living have to win this battle at least, I mean if the dead won and wiped out all of humanity what exactly would the last 3 episodes consist of? A lot of people will die, and its anyones guess who, I learned a long time ago not to try predict anything with this show, because its impossible.

5 hours ago, Euron III Greyjoy said:

I do think that eventually the Night King and the Others will get defeated, but I'm not too sure that it will happen in episode 3. I understand that the next episode is going to be a long one, and the whole thing will pretty much be one big battle, but it would be kind of shit in my personal opinion in the Others got defeated in one episode after 7 seasons of hype. 

I think that after next episode Winterfell will be lost, and the survivors will have to retreat further South, maybe even go to the Iron Islands. 

Winterfell will be a goner, no doubt about that, I'd say they'll go to the Iron Islands, the dead can't reach them there, they'd be safe. I'd say go back to dragonstone either but Cersei most likely has sent some of her army there to attack if they return. 

Some confusion between war and battle in these posts. I'd say Winterfell is going to fall in ep 3 - i.e. the battle will be lost. Survivors will have to fall back to Kings Landing where a final battle will take place. The Undead will be defeated to leave a small remnant of our heroes to win the war.

I think the battle will be a mixed bag.

Narratively it would not make sense for Winterfell to fall and all the Northern civilians to die. That would wreck Sansa's and Jon's arcs utterly, and basically delete the importance of the Norhten arc.

So from this point, the Humans will win the battle of Winterfell, though at a great cost. However I think the plan to kill the Night King will fail and he would not be defeated - maybe going south to the King's Landing? Maybe he is not after Bran but after something in Winterfell he needs? Maybe the dead Starks in the crypt are guarding his Queen?

It would make sense if the heroes have to get out of WF with that one something he seeks, drawing him away and thus saving the people. It would also make sense for the Night King to continue South and bump into Cersei - as currently Cersei is gaining power while Dany and Jon are losing it and the bigger the difference, the bigger ex machina rescue would be needed.

Given that all of living humanity is under threat (per Bran) -

What chance the fighting will spill over the Narrow Sea or the Shivering Sea - do those waters ever freeze? - and into Essos? Just that I'd love to see the Titan of Braavos or those gi-normous Dothraki horse statues suddenly come to life and go medieval on everybody's ass. I'm guessing not, since the CGI budget must already be under tremendous strain, with dragons and wights and whatnot. Still, it's fun to imagine.

It would so help this argument (where do they go, what happens when they get there) if we know what the NK wants.  Whatever it is, if it escapes Winterfell during the loss, then the NK will follow team heroes.  Is what the NK wants a thing or a person? 

If a thing, what possible item would be in the crypts of Winterfell that is of immense significance to the NK.  So far, we know he wanted a dragon, and he got one.  That hints at the NK being a Targaryen, but only slightly.  Any commander would want a dragon.  However, if we let the NK be a Targaryen, then what is in WF that a Targaryen wants?  For a different Targaryen, Dany, it is love - Jon.  What is it for the NK - a lover, perhaps?  Could it be dragon eggs?  From the Wiki:

The Testimony of Mushroom alleges that when Prince Jacaerys Velaryon came to Winterfell at the start of the Dance of the Dragons, Vermax laid dragon eggs in the depths of the crypts, where hot springs are near the walls. Archmaester Gyldayn rejects the idea.[11]

If it is a person, then I give up.  There are so many guesses on this forum that just about everyone has been named. If we do not answer this before the fall of WF, if the NK follows our heroes, then we can narrow the search down to one of them.

On 4/24/2019 at 4:59 PM, Runaway Penguin said:

I think the battle will be a mixed bag.

Narratively it would not make sense for Winterfell to fall and all the Northern civilians to die. That would wreck Sansa's and Jon's arcs utterly, and basically delete the importance of the Norhten arc.

So from this point, the Humans will win the battle of Winterfell, though at a great cost. However I think the plan to kill the Night King will fail and he would not be defeated - maybe going south to the King's Landing? Maybe he is not after Bran but after something in Winterfell he needs? Maybe the dead Starks in the crypt are guarding his Queen?

It would make sense if the heroes have to get out of WF with that one something he seeks, drawing him away and thus saving the people. It would also make sense for the Night King to continue South and bump into Cersei - as currently Cersei is gaining power while Dany and Jon are losing it and the bigger the difference, the bigger ex machina rescue would be needed.

NK could have used Bran to guide everyone astray. He must have another more important target.

The way I see this going down is one of two ways (there are other outcomes but these are the ones I think are most likely).

First, the Night King is killed in this coming battle and the army of the dead is vanquished.  Our heroes suffer major losses but they are now free to focus their attention on the iron throne.  This would suggest that the game of thrones has always been the major conflict and that the army of the dead was just a distraction.

Second the Night King succeeds in killing Bran (not necessarily in person) but then realizes that his army is suffering heavy losses and so he decides to retreat for now.  He then likely starts to slowly march south to collect more wights for his army so that he can return and wipe everyone out more easily.  This puts our heroes in a difficult position, they are badly weakened but if they wait to regroup they will be overwhelmed.  Their only hope is to truly convince Cersei to join the fight (or defeat her and steal her army).  This puts the focus on defeating the army of the dead and clarifies that the game of thrones was the distraction.

9 minutes ago, Bran the Shipper said:

The way I see this going down is one of two ways (there are other outcomes but these are the ones I think are most likely).

First, the Night King is killed in this coming battle and the army of the dead is vanquished.  Our heroes suffer major losses but they are now free to focus their attention on the iron throne.  This would suggest that the game of thrones has always been the major conflict and that the army of the dead was just a distraction.

Second the Night King succeeds in killing Bran (not necessarily in person) but then realizes that his army is suffering heavy losses and so he decides to retreat for now.  He then likely starts to slowly march south to collect more wights for his army so that he can return and wipe everyone out more easily.  This puts our heroes in a difficult position, they are badly weakened but if they wait to regroup they will be overwhelmed.  Their only hope is to truly convince Cersei to join the fight (or defeat her and steal her army).  This puts the focus on defeating the army of the dead and clarifies that the game of thrones was the distraction.

i'd be less inclined to agree with your first option, only on the basis that "game of thrones" is only the name of book one, The fact the series is named ASOIAF which is a direct link to the PtwP prophecy means i think (hope) its about more than the iron throne.

On 4/23/2019 at 12:40 PM, Euron III Greyjoy said:

I do think that eventually the Night King and the Others will get defeated, but I'm not too sure that it will happen in episode 3.

I certainly hope not. After years of foreshadowing that the real fight is between the living and the dead, it would be pretty embarrassing for the showrunners to end that fight halfway through the final season, relegating the antepenultimate, penultimate, and final episodes to just an overlong denouement. 

2 hours ago, Anthony Pirtle said:

I certainly hope not. After years of foreshadowing that the real fight is between the living and the dead, it would be pretty embarrassing for the showrunners to end that fight halfway through the final season, relegating the antepenultimate, penultimate, and final episodes to just an overlong denouement. 

But they need to deal with mad Queen Cersei as well, they can't fight both Nightking and Cersei at the same time.

2 hours ago, Erkan12 said:

But they need to deal with mad Queen Cersei as well, they can't fight both Nightking and Cersei at the same time.

They may end up having to deal with her before dealing with the Night King, if they get driven south. Then, of course, there's the theory that the Night King is actually going south and not to Winterfell at all, but I don't like that idea, though I like it more than watching half the season just be about taking Cersei's chair. Seems anticlimactic to me.

On 4/23/2019 at 5:32 PM, nyser1 said:

Pyrrhic Victory for the living & The Night King and Viserion escape for a future battle. Since the show has eliminated the militaries of several kingdoms, we are headed for a fairly evenly matched Targ v. Lannister fight. At least before taking into account Dragons and Wargs.

Something like this might happen.  If the Living lose the battle, I don't see how they can get away from the AotD.  The dead don't stop, nor do they tire.  Nor do they freeze.

On 4/23/2019 at 6:41 PM, cirah1712 said:

Winterfell will be a goner, no doubt about that, I'd say they'll go to the Iron Islands, the dead can't reach them there, they'd be safe. I'd say go back to dragonstone either but Cersei most likely has sent some of her army there to attack if they return. 

The Iron Fleet would make a return to Dragonstone quite difficult, if not impossible.  :)

Last we saw, the Iron Fleet was staying in the environs of KL, which isn't that far from Dragonstone

On 4/26/2019 at 10:04 AM, lakin1013 said:

It would so help this argument (where do they go, what happens when they get there) if we know what the NK wants.  Whatever it is, if it escapes Winterfell during the loss, then the NK will follow team heroes.  Is what the NK wants a thing or a person? 

If a thing, what possible item would be in the crypts of Winterfell that is of immense significance to the NK.  So far, we know he wanted a dragon, and he got one.  That hints at the NK being a Targaryen, but only slightly.  Any commander would want a dragon.  However, if we let the NK be a Targaryen, then what is in WF that a Targaryen wants?  For a different Targaryen, Dany, it is love - Jon.  What is it for the NK - a lover, perhaps?  Could it be dragon eggs?  From the Wiki:

Not necessarily a Targaryen.  Following this logic, the NK could have Valyrian blood.  The Targs were only one of many Dragonlord Houses of Old Valyria.

But as far as we know, the NK predates Valyria, and the Targaryens as well.

On 4/26/2019 at 10:22 AM, Deminelle said:

NK could have used Bran to guide everyone astray. He must have another more important target.

If Bran's description of NK's motivations are true, then the Isle of Faces and (if he NK knows about it) the Citadel in Oldtown might just qualify as such targets.

Archived