Arya & Moon Tea

3 hours ago, a black swan said:

Did Arya think of this before or after her fling with Gendry? Consequences of not could be a game changer for her.

You know very well that the episode DID NOT SHOW ANYTHING related to this question. There is not really any base on which we could discuss this question.

If in the world of Westeros moon tea is really well-known and an effective contraceptive, then the maesters will have it available. She will be able to consume it if she wishes so.

My personal speculation is that Arya did not plan of having sex this night and was not fully prepared. Maybe women of Westeros also have some knowledge of a calendar method as well.

If she should really survive the whole series, it might not be the worst to have a baby, though.

This is where the books having younger kids than the show changes my thoughts here... Momma or septa in the show would've given her "the talk" but in the book she's only.. 9? She's 11 in the show when she starts living among men, so she should know a thing or two before being 'released into the wild' I think it's just a last night on this Earth thing and that'll be that. Eventually she can give us some Starkatheon babies. They were always meant to happen one way or another. 

I hope Gendry and Arya make it,

Finding out that he is RB's bastard is significant. She may not be "allowed" to marry a smith's apprentice but Gendry can be legitimised by a King/Queen and become the Lord of Storm's End.

In that case she wouldn't need moon tea!

Moon tea doesn't matter. If they want her pregnant, she will be. If they don't, she won't be. 

Gotta say though, if we have a Cersei baby and an Arya baby, a Jonerys baby feels like too much for only 3 episodes left (won't be an issue for 8x03). And with Cersei getting pregnant in 7x03 and still not showing as of 8x01 even to Euron, any more babies seem unlikely* given the time left and that it's moving so slowly. 

*Unlikely meaning D&D might do that, but it'll be in a completely nonsensical way that will blow up the rant threads. Like people can move from KL to Winterfell in a day or so or it only taking hours to move between Dragonstone and north of the Wall, but they'll suddenly take months to head south after the battle 'cause...babies. 

4 hours ago, SeanSnow said:

Finding out that he is RB's bastard is significant. She may not be "allowed" to marry a smith's apprentice but Gendry can be legitimised by a King/Queen and become the Lord of Storm's End.

As if Arya "faceless woman" Stark need the permission from anyone for merrying a bastard or pot boy. And I think in the end she won't care if somebody aproves her decisions or not.

3 hours ago, longest night said:

They are going to handwave it away much like they do other things they come up with, like Sansa marrying a Bolton keeping the Stark name.

A majority of the women in the series kept their last name after marrying and that's something that comes from the book. I don't recall at any point where both Cersei or Margaery took the Baratheon name and Margaery married three of them. I believe even Olenna was still going by Redwyne.

As far as handwaving a pregnancy, why does there have to be one? Many people have had one night stands with nothing to show for it.

20 minutes ago, Lord Lyman said:

A majority of the women in the series kept their last name after marrying and that's something that comes from the book. I don't recall at any point where both Cersei or Margaery took the Baratheon name and Margaery married three of them. I believe even Olenna was still going by Redwyne.

As far as handwaving a pregnancy, why does there have to be one? Many people have had one night stands with nothing to show for it.

Queen consorts keep their name because they get no claim to the royal house they marry into. Olenna became Olenna Tyrell.

On 4/23/2019 at 10:02 PM, Charlie Hustle said:

If sansa can get away without having a lil Ramsey in her belly, i think arya is pretty safe from a one night stand.

Pretty much this. On a side note, it quite disappointed me that Sansa wasn't pregnant, it could be a great twist.

Just now, Nerevanin said:

it quite disappointed me that Sansa wasn't pregnant, it could be a great twist.

Well, considering moon tea is primarily a means of abortion and not contraception, Sansa most probably would have aborted a pregnancy caused by Ramsay Bolton. It would have made no sense at all to carry out a pregnancy if abortions are possible by means of moon tea.

My guess is that the TV show didn't dare to show abortions due to the high sensitivity of American watchers regarding this topic. In Europe that would have been possible, but not in the US. You might commit massacres, rapes, mass murders, but a simple abortion is too much in the US. So that was not an option after all.

Maybe the book depicts this differently, we will see.

5 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

Well, considering moon tea is primarily a means of abortion and not contraception, Sansa most probably would have aborted a pregnancy caused by Ramsay Bolton. It would have made no sense at all to carry out a pregnancy if abortions are possible by means of moon tea.

My guess is that the TV show didn't dare to show abortions due to the high sensitivity of American watchers regarding this topic. In Europe that would have been possible, but not in the US. You might commit massacres, rapes, mass murders, but a simple abortion is too much in the US. So that was not an option after all.

Well yeah but in my mind she wouldn't abort the baby. I imagine it as at first she is horrified when she realized she is pregnant with Ramsay out of all people but eventually she decides to keep the baby and she loves him/her. It would be a nice character developement imo, instead of "Sansa is the smartest girl on the planet". But now we are getting a bit too far from the topic. :)

(the books won't depict this in any way because in the books it isn't Sansa who marries Ramsay. But there is an abortion by moon tea in the books.)

4 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

when she realized she is pregnant with Ramsay out of all people but eventually she decides to keep the baby and she loves him/her.

A very typical American thought. It is very unbelievable for me to "love" the child caused by sadistic rape. All these women keeping children after rape. For me it's nonsense and does not make any sense emotion-wise. But maybe people really tick differently in different countries. 

In Westeros world with Moon tea for abortions readily available, abortions seem to have been quite a normal thing then. I am sure Sansa would not have kept Ramsay's pregnancy. That is almost absurd. The Boltons are evil and sadistic and that surely runs in the blood. Ramsay was not even raised or educated by Boltons, but the bastard is sadistic anyway.

7 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

But there is an abortion by moon tea in the books.

Yes, in Westeros an abortion would have been the normal reaction to something so horrible.

5 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

A very typical American thought. It is very unbelievable for me to "love" the child caused by sadistic rape. All these women keeping children after rape. For me it's nonsense and does not make any sense emotion-wise. But maybe people really tick differently in different countries.

I'm not American though, I live in Europe in a very atheist country so some religion stuff ain't of no value to me, just to clarify things. I am a woman myself and honestly I don't know how I would react if I was raped and then I found out I was pregnant. But there are women who abort the fetus in such situations and there are women who still keep it and love it. It's just the way it is and there is no way to tell how would book Sansa or show Sansa react to such a thing because it didn't happen in the show and it very likely won't happen in the books either.

2 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

It's just the way it is and there is no way to tell how would book Sansa or show Sansa react to such a thing because it didn't happen in the show

Right.

But we discuss very many things we cannot know anyway. My guess is that Sansa would abort a pregnancy caused by sadistic Ramsay, because the sadism lies in the blood.

1 hour ago, Kajjo said:

Well in the books, Lysa Tully had sex with Littlefinger after his duel with Brandon Stark and her father forced her to abort the child. The abortion proved near-fatal for Lysa and probably caused all sorts of damage in the long run.

44 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

Well in the books, Lysa Tully had sex with Littlefinger after his duel with Brandon Stark and her father forced her to abort the child. The abortion proved near-fatal for Lysa and probably caused all sorts of damage in the long run.

Poor Little finger. Spent his life chasing what he wanted and ended up getting what he deserved.

Archived