Why avoid a reunion between Sansa and Sandor?

I believe in the show they never were close. He once saved her from being raped. That's all. 

In the show, Arya and the Hound have a storyline together.

Further, there are so many possible reunions, they couldn't do all and I somehow prefer one less than to many badly rushed as in E1. I really was disappointed by a lot of reunions and by the hastened pace of E1.

Yeah, the buildup in KL, as well as "that scene" between them during the Blackwater, were both kind of underwhelming on the show. Nothing like their ongoing dialogue in the books. 

I thought it made a lot more sense for he and Arya to have some closure after having spent so much time on the road together and having gotten into a bunch of memorable adventures.

I wrote it off just as now that Jon's home and she's got a houseful of Lady Stark business she's not very likely to cross paths with him- he's likely staying in a camp or out of the castle somewhere. Arya likes to prowl around and keep up on things happening down low, Sansas dealing with the ruling sit at tables and hound has no business inside. 

Just now, Euron III Greyjoy said:

Out of all the possible reunions, that one really isn't important. 

In this canon, I would agree. But it is a shame. Martin's writing for the two characters have been interesting and even the episode he penned "Blackwater" had rather interesting exchange between them, since because of Miss Turner's age at 2012, they couldn't have had UnKiss. 

I'll just add it to a pile of things D&D missed in their reading of ASOIAF.

If they do Sansan as they did Gendrya, they're going to mirror things for them, starting with the end of their storyline so far. Sandor fled KL during a fire, wanting to rescue her but she refused to go with him. Then he saved Arya in the Riverlands. His storyline with Arya is wrapping up - they made peace with one another. His entrance into Sansa's storyline thus in the show is imo saving her while facing fire. I expect them to meet in episode 3 (after Theon valiantly dies for Bran). The motivation for this I assume is that the Hound seems to have stayed out of the picture by his own choice - feeling he failed Sansa because she was wed off to the Imp and considers himself a coward when facing fire (he logically froze up when that bear mauled Thoros, because the bear was on fire).

Arya asking him why he was at WF was a question leading up to it. Sure, the Hound said he fought for her once, but he didn't say he's fighting for her now.

I wouldn't rule out that they'll still have an on screen interaction.  I think both of them will survive the next episode.  I thought their interactions were fairly important in the first couple of seasons (even on the show), but yes, they've kind of forgotten about it! 

They most definitely will not be doing SanSan the way it may be done in the books.  Way too big of an age difference!  But I do hope they meet again (on screen) and make peace.  Sandor could be head of her guard or something. 

3 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Understand one thing about D&D. They really believe their own fan fiction is wonderful.

And they have started to affect the cast. There is a Kit Harington interview with "f**k the critics" lines, I think. 

1 hour ago, sweetsunray said:

If they do Sansan as they did Gendrya, they're going to mirror things for them, starting with the end of their storyline so far. Sandor fled KL during a fire, wanting to rescue her but she refused to go with him. Then he saved Arya in the Riverlands. His storyline with Arya is wrapping up - they made peace with one another. His entrance into Sansa's storyline thus in the show is imo saving her while facing fire. I expect them to meet in episode 3 (after Theon valiantly dies for Bran). The motivation for this I assume is that the Hound seems to have stayed out of the picture by his own choice - feeling he failed Sansa because she was wed off to the Imp and considers himself a coward when facing fire (he logically froze up when that bear mauled Thoros, because the bear was on fire).

Arya asking him why he was at WF was a question leading up to it. Sure, the Hound said he fought for her once, but he didn't say he's fighting for her now.

That would be a nice scene. Anyway, I do not agree that the relationship between Sandor and Arya is finished, remember that they still have to finish the mountain and with Cersei.

26 minutes ago, The Prince who was not pro said:

That would be a nice scene. Anyway, I do not agree that the relationship between Sandor and Arya is finished, remember that they still have to finish the mountain and with Cersei.

Arya doesn't have a list anymore imo. She lay awake from her insomnia next to sleeping Gendry (just like in HH when captives), but she's not reciting any names anymore.

12 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

Arya doesn't have a list anymore imo. She lay awake from her insomnia next to sleeping Gendry (just like in HH when captives), but she's not reciting any names anymore.

Aryas list is still there just like everything else is put on the back burner until they kill the white *badword*s. she'll be mighty upset if somebody else gets to kill Cersei but I think a lot of people should be in line before her. Who else is there really? Gregor, I think sandor gets Dibbs. 

17 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

who would be left on her list now?  Just Cersi and the mountian?  Seems she scratched off the hound and one eyed willie. 

1 minute ago, Roux said:

Aryas list is still there just like everything else is put on the back burner until they kill the white *badword*s. she'll be mighty upset if somebody else gets to kill Cersei but I think a lot of people should be in line before her. Who else is there really? Gregor, I think sandor gets Dibbs. 

If Arya has names on her list, we'd have seeen her reciting those names to deal with her insomnia. We didn't. Arya's on an arc to shed the assassin and become something completely else she never foresaw for herself.

1 minute ago, Bradam said:

who would be left on her list now?  Just Cersi and the mountian?  Seems she scratched off the hound and one eyed willie. 

The mountain she would have taken off the list, since he died in S4 (and she'd learn that through some Braavos play). She chose WF over Cersei last season and let go of Nymeria. She's fighting for her surviving family now, not revenge, and instead of reciting a list of people she hates who harmed her loved ones (making her remember the bad guys instead of her true ghosts), she now only faces the memories of her ghosts past (her father, Mycah, Lady, Catelyn and Robb)

3 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

If Arya has names on her list, we'd have seeen her reciting those names to deal with her insomnia. We didn't. Arya's on an arc to shed the assassin and become something completely else she never foresaw for herself.

I thought she had just found peace on Braavos. She didn't need to complete the training because combined with her natural abilities (she's quick, brave and attentive in all the right ways) she was enough. She always intended to go back and avenge her family she just had to find someone to teach her, and being small means she needed something different than the Clegane method.she abandoned the recitation in Braavos. (In Braavos, on Braavos? Country on an island-??)  When she does get back shes in control, but gets sucked into the war. 

1 minute ago, Roux said:

I thought she had just found peace on Braavos. She didn't need to complete the training because combined with her natural abilities (she's quick, brave and attentive in all the right ways) she was enough. She always intended to go back and avenge her family she just had to find someone to teach her, and being small means she needed something different than the Clegane method.she abandoned the recitation in Braavos. (In Braavos, on Braavos? Country on an island-??)  When she does get back shes in control, but gets sucked into the war. 

Her journey since Ned's death has been about survival and killing. And let's say there's some casting and filming info about that would put Arya on a caretaker arc. She will meet "death" itself in epi 3, based on the trailers, and we have a running scene that calls back to both her Braavos running scene, but it happening inside a castle is also a Red Keep escape-run ("not today" after all). I actually think they're setting her up to die in next episode after fighting like a badass and running for her life, but Beric resurrecting her in epi 4 by sacrificing his own life in a Lord of Light prayer. So, no, I do not believe they intend Arya to be an assassin after epi 3. Those days are done, and her fighting days also near over. 

They didn't avoid it, they just didn't do it.  They didn't do a Jon - Ghost reunion that we could see.  I think we have to assume that such reunions did happen, off screen.  Since we have had 2 eps, out of the last six, on reunions, did you really want more?

Archived