Why avoid a reunion between Sansa and Sandor?

18 hours ago, Red Dragon10 said:

Well for one thing, Sansa hasn't shared any scenes or any words with Sandor since season 2.  There are 4 episodes left, and the next episode is a battle.  I don't think they are going to thow in a Sansa/Sandor marriage all of a sudden at this point.  Secondly, I do think it would have been received differently if Tyrion and Sansa had consummated their marriage.  So a marriage between Sansa and Sandor, with the intention of being a real marriage, would likely be met with a lot of outcry, IMO.  And maybe it doesn't matter all that much on the show, or maybe it won't matter if/when the WW are defeated,  I don't know...but Sandor is essentially a nobody and I doubt the Lady of Winterfell will marry a nobody.  

Arya and Gendry had not shared scenes since season 3. It didn't matter. The basis was there from years ago,

On 4/26/2019 at 2:34 AM, Roux said:

honestly legitimizing the Sansa Tyrion marriage is the only thing right now that makes sense politically. Sansa any of the northern houses ...Sansa some unmentioned ;) Prince of Dorne or sansa theon because they clearly have feelings for each other but... Sansa needs to stay in the north though if we believe that Jon will go south to take the iron throne... There must always be a Stark in Winterfell. And there's no way Aryas sitting still. Or marrying anyone cuz she's told to. she likes gendry she ~had~ gendry but if you told her to marry gendry she wouldn't; on the principle of 'don't tell me what to do. '

As if politics were something to matter now,...

18 hours ago, Karmarni said:

I meant to address the reason of age that I see people all over the place say that Sandor and Sansa are not possible because they chose an older actor. An actor who was the same age as the actor she 'married' on the show. Basically, so what? Tyrion was older too.

:agree:

The Hound is the closest thing Arya has had to a dad since Ned was executed. With Sansa, the dynamic is not exactly the same. If she knows now that his outward appearance is far less important than the heart that beats beneath, that's praiseworthy. The lass is growing up! Does it mean she should throw herself into Sandor's arms and proclaim that she's all his for life? Meh...

In-universe, noble houses marry off their scions willy-nilly, regardless of age difference, except insofar as it might affect the production of heirs. So the fact that Sansa is still relatively young is something that works in her favor, giving her a bargaining advantage for the marriage partner of her choice. Whoever that happens to be. And assuming that they don't meet a fiery/icy end.

I'm speaking only of the show here:

The political problem with a Sandor/Sansa marriage is that Sandor is viewed as a "Lannister dog" in the North.  A marriage between the Lannister Dog and Ned Stark's oldest daughter and now the Lady of Winterfell might sew serious discord among whatever Stark bannermen survive the current situation.  Of course, there may not be a Winterfell by the time the series ends (though I believe it will be rebuilt).  The only path I see to a politically successful Sansa Stark/Sandor Clegane marriage is if so many Stark bannermen of eligible age to marry Sansa are killed off and if Sandor really does some visible heroic deeds in the next few episodes that are known in the North, or saves Arya's life in battle or something.  Sandor is possibly of "First Men" ancestry (though they don't bring this up in the TV series) so that might help.  He could become Armsmaster at Winterfell after the war even if he doesn't marry Sansa; or he could become lord of the Clegane keep wherever it is (I assume that Gregor won't be around to claim it, and that the post-war regime in King's Landing will be willing to grant it).  If Jon survives and becomes King in the North and/or Warden or the Stark in Winterfell; Sansa could marry Sandor and they could be given the Dreadfort and Bolton lands.  

If Jon dies, and Sansa survives and remains Lady of Winterfell/possible Queen in the North; then she should have heirs, and she needs a husband for that. (unless Arya produces a child by Gendry that she'll give to Sansa to raise, or will herself remain in Winterfell and raise the kid; though the child of a nameless bastard like Gendry might viewed as less acceptable to the North than a child sired by Sandor Clegane on Sansa after they're married.  Of course, if Gendry survives the war, a Warden/King/Queen in the North, or a ruler of Westeros could award him a lordship, perhaps even the Stormlands, just as the Baratheon dynasty started with a bastard, so it could be renewed with even an unacknowledged bastard by royal decree; or Gendry could be given a lordship/small domain in the North; though I don't see Gendry as particularly talented in leadership, but then, neither is Sandor).

The main difficulties in the show between any future romance/marriage between Sandor and Sansa is that (A) nobody likes Sandor (other than Beric, who will probably die, and Arya - sort of) and he doesn't give a darn about what Stark bannermen think of him; he's a fighter and that's all he knows how to do (B) he's an alcoholic; and (C) Sandor would have no interest in being the consort to the Lady of Winterfell, he really doesn't want to be a lord even in a secondary capacity; also, he seems to have forgotten that he ever had any fondness for Sansa.  I don't think that TV-Sandor and TV-Sansa are at all companionable in anything more than a one-night stand; and Sansa has shown absolutely no interest in having a one-night stand with anyone, much less Sandor.  (she'd rather spend her possible last night talking with Theon; which, given her history of being Joffrey's plaything and later Littlefinger's pawn and then Ramsay's victim, makes a lot of sense; Theon rescued and protected her for her own sake; and she feels safe with him).  

If we go to the books, there might might be some hope for a "SanSan" future; with some huge BUTs:  Sandor would have to do a huge amount of growing up; emotionally, he's sort of an angry kid in a huge adult man's body.  He'd also have to end his addiction to alcohol, or at least seriously cut back.  Sansa is also somewhat messed up in terms of developing a healthy adult sexuality; given the male predators who have desired and used her - Tyrion, Sandor himself, and Littlefinger.  Sandor, who held a knife to her throat; seems to be the only man Sansa feels she could fully trust after her father, which is rather sad.  Plus, it goes without saying that Sansa would have to be free of entanglements with Tyrion and Littlefinger and be willing and able to form a relationship with Sandor.  And we don't know if Sandor would still feel love for an older, less innocent, more sophisticated Sansa; and if Sansa would still feel the same pull of barely understood desire towards him.  

On 4/23/2019 at 3:46 PM, sweetsunray said:

If they do Sansan as they did Gendrya, they're going to mirror things for them, starting with the end of their storyline so far. Sandor fled KL during a fire, wanting to rescue her but she refused to go with him. Then he saved Arya in the Riverlands. His storyline with Arya is wrapping up - they made peace with one another. His entrance into Sansa's storyline thus in the show is imo saving her while facing fire. I expect them to meet in episode 3 (after Theon valiantly dies for Bran). The motivation for this I assume is that the Hound seems to have stayed out of the picture by his own choice - feeling he failed Sansa because she was wed off to the Imp and considers himself a coward when facing fire (he logically froze up when that bear mauled Thoros, because the bear was on fire).

Arya asking him why he was at WF was a question leading up to it. Sure, the Hound said he fought for her once, but he didn't say he's fighting for her now.

Watching episode 3 it seems that they have totally discarded it. What a disappointment.

10 minutes ago, The Prince who was not pro said:

Watching episode 3 it seems that they have totally discarded it. What a disappointment.

Maybe, yeah....They did show the Hound conquering his PTSD. And personally I think Sansa's playing Tyrion. Him telling her they should remain married, tipped her off he may have feelings and thus she can influence him away from Dany.

Hace 59 minutos, sweetsunray dijo:

Tal vez, sí ... Mostraron al Hound conquistando su TEPT. Y personalmente creo que Sansa está jugando a Tyrion. Él le dijo que debían permanecer casados, que la alertó de que él podría tener sentimientos y, por lo tanto, ella puede influenciarlo lejos de Dany.

But Sansa said that her marriage to Tyrion would not work. I totally discard Sansa / Sandor but also Sansa / Tyrion. I think Sansa will end up alone or committed to Robin Arryn (who will appear in the next episodes).

8 hours ago, The Prince who was not pro said:

But Sansa said that her marriage to Tyrion would not work. I totally discard Sansa / Sandor but also Sansa / Tyrion. I think Sansa will end up alone or committed to Robin Arryn (who will appear in the next episodes).

I was referring to the scene when they hid behind the crypt, after the dead Starks had revived. Anyhow I got the impression Tyrion's efforts and hand kiss can be put in the same category as Theon making eyes at her: she's charmed, but he's not an option. I'm holding out on a scene between Sansa and Sandor for one more episode, as it seems they're quickly going through several men who want to be her suitors, while she does not romantically recopricate. Perhaps she gets inspired by Arya making her own choices.

7 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

I was referring to the scene when they hid behind the crypt, after the dead Starks had revived. Anyhow I got the impression Tyrion's efforts and hand kiss can be put in the same category as Theon making eyes at her: she's charmed, but he's not an option. I'm holding out on a scene between Sansa and Sandor for one more episode, as it seems they're quickly going through several men who want to be her suitors, while she does not romantically recopricate. Perhaps she gets inspired by Arya making her own choices.

She will

Hace 2 horas, sweetsunray dijo:

Me refiero a la escena cuando me escondí detrás de la cripta, después de que los muertos Starks hubieran revivido. De todos los modos, tengo la impresión de los esfuerzos de Tyrion y el beso de la mano pueden colocarse en la misma categoría que Theon, que mira con los ojos: está encantada, pero no es una opción. Estoy esperando una escena entre Sansa y Sandor para un episodio más, ya que parece que estamos pasando por varios hombres que quieren ser sus pretendientes, mientras que ella no se vuelve a casar románticamente. Tal vez ella se inspire cuando Arya toma sus propias decisiones.

For me, seeing the progress of the next episode and I think they have separate destinations. Sansa is going to stay in Winterfell and Sandor will travel to KL to kill his brother, the writers have disappointed me so many times that I'm already assuming that they will not even see each other when Sandor and the others leave for the South. The way in which the writers opted for the Arya / Sandor Fan Service and pretended that the relationship between Sansa and Sandor had never happened was quite annoying.

7 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

I really expected Sansa / Sandor to happen, due to "details" from the writers, such as Tormund's comment to Sandor about the redheads in episode six of the seventh season. Now that I think about it, maybe it was just a joke of them to end up with SanSan.

Archived