Why avoid a reunion between Sansa and Sandor?

2 hours ago, Deminelle said:

In case Theon is there to protect Bran, the plot could also lead him to fail as he is a bit of an unlucky warrior. Bran getting killed could then take the plot to something unexpected. Bran has practically spilled all the beans he had left that matter. 

Theon will succeed because he's "no man," being w/o the basic apparatus that signifies "man" in such eras.  It is known. :P 

Anyway, that's far more likely than these preposterous wish fullfillment romances pairing Sansa with anybody, other than, as pointed out above, perhaps, Tyrion.  That one because that's based on the real marriage-pairing criteria of such cultures.

As for characterizing Own Tudor as a servant -- that's a mistaken interpretation of his social condition within the terms of the culture of the time.  He was a courtier, whose family was part of more than one line of rulers of one and another Welsh kingdom, stretching far, far further back than William the Conqueror's.

Honestly, Sansa can marry whoever she wants at this point.

There is an interesting historical note associated with the War of the Roses. A noble woman marries her servant.

[Catherine's] greatest contribution to English history is her second marriage... she hooked up with a very unlikely character, her Welsh servant, a guy called Owen Tudor... He came into her service... What is certain is the two of them meet, and they produce several children, two of whom... go on to have a very important role in the War of the Roses... So this weird little line... How did this happen... she makes a play on her naivete... So there it is, she takes up with Owen Tudor... They are the last men standing, the Tudors.

35 minutes ago, Karmarni said:

He's definitely noble. Maybe not by thousands of years, but noble, had a maester, the whole deal. 

Yep, his family were bannermen to the Lannisters. There are also hints that he's a descendant of Dunk.

As for wish fulfillment, fanboys who are "shipping" her with Tyrion or Theon are indulging in that. Sansa said in show canon she doesn't want to fuck a dwarf (in a scene written by GRRM), so rule out a eunuch, too.

The show threw out the Tyrion marriage, and the Theon stuff is only because they derailed her from her own story in season 5. She's a human being (at least in terms of story) and she's free to seek out a good marriage.

21 minutes ago, Karmarni said:

Well, I didn't mean to imply marriage. I did mean to address the reason of age that I see people all over the place say that Sandor and Sansa are not possible because they chose an older actor. An actor who was the same age as the actor she 'married' on the show. Basically, so what? Tyrion was older too.

It's a shame. The Hound and Sansa had a story in the books and it was compelling. And I liked it. Compared with all the other things we've seen on this show, from twincest to Ramsey and Myranda, we've had so many couples that were mismatched or unnatural (Mel and Stannis) that Sandor and Sansa seems tame.

I agree, all I'm saying is that I'm very certain it won't happen on the show, regardless of how much I like the relationship.  And I explained why I think there would be a difference for the audience between her unconsummated marriage with Tyrion, and a real marriage with Sandor.  And she's not just going to 'hook up' with someone at the end of the show...therefore...I don't think anything (besides hopefully a nice scene or two!) will be happening with these two.  

He's from a minor house that only became anything in the last couple generations.  I just don't think a man like that would be likely to marry Sansa. :dunno:

Remeber Sansa is the smartest person in westros now... 

She could marry for love, but she's not shown remotely to be in love with anyone except maybe Theon, but that appears to just be platonic from shared past horrors. Plus he can't give her any children so he's out.

The "smart" thing to do anyways is marry for political gain, usually an enemy or to move up the politcal ladder. She's already lady of Winterfell and can't really move up any farther with Dany as queen other then maybe warden of the north, but Jon has that spot currently, and if he marrys Dany Sansa might get warden of the north by default anyways.  So that leaves you marry an enemy. 

Options would be a Lannister/Dornish/Tyrell prince that appears from no where. Tyrion perhaps would make sense or really any other random cousin that appears from no where.   Maybe even the leader of the golden company if that settles some future dispute and prevents further wars.

But Sandor?  Newp.. Nothing to gain here.. at all.  That'd be a massive marrying down for her, and the show has shown us nothing at all what so ever of anything remotely between the two. 

1 minute ago, Bradam said:

Remeber Sansa is the smartest person in westros now... 

She could marry for love, but she's not shown remotely to be in love with anyone except maybe Theon, but that appears to just be platonic from shared past horrors. Plus he can't give her any children so he's out.

The "smart" thing to do anyways is marry for political gain, usually an enemy or to move up the politcal ladder. She's already lady of Winterfell and can't really move up any farther with Dany as queen other then maybe warden of the north, but Jon has that spot currently, and if he marrys Dany Sansa might get warden of the north by default anyways.  So that leaves you marry an enemy. 

Options would be a Lannister/Dornish/Tyrell prince that appears from no where. Tyrion perhaps would make sense or really any other random cousin that appears from no where.   Maybe even the leader of the golden company if that settles some future dispute and prevents further wars.

But Sandor?  Newp.. Nothing to gain here.. at all.  That'd be a massive marrying down for her, and the show has shown us nothing at all what so ever of anything remotely between the two. 

That isn't true.  He backed her up when she tried to save Dontos, he wiped blood off her mouth and told her to give the king what he wanted, he saved her from a gang rape and he offered to take her out of KL and home to Winterfell.  

1 minute ago, Cas Stark said:

That isn't true.  He backed her up when she tried to save Dontos, he wiped blood off her mouth and told her to give the king what he wanted, he saved her from a gang rape and he offered to take her out of KL and home to Winterfell.  

He cloaked her, too. And GRRM wrote a scene paralleling his favorite, Beauty and the Beast:

https://romancingthecage.tumblr.com/post/90157713456

There's actually more... she cheered for him at the tourney, he protected her from Ilyn Payne, and he said he'd commit treason to protect her from Joffrey... he called her little bird 5 times, said she was pretty... 

In season 1, Benioff in a video said he's attracted to her... that there was much more to come of their developing relationship... and Cogman said their relationship is a big part of the show. And more...

To me that dosent show a love interest, more that hey Sandor is actually human and dosent think its rtight for Sansa to get treated that way.  His job was protect Joffery and his property, which is Sansa by extension.  If he hadn't saved Sansa from the mob Joffery would have had him executed.  Or if he stood back and let Sansa push Joffery off the bridge Cersi certainly would have had him executed.  

Him offering to take her to Winterfell was most likely to collect ransom, just like he was trying to do with Arya. 

7 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

There's actually more... she cheered for him at the tourney, he protected her from Ilyn Payne, and he said he'd commit treason to protect her from Joffrey... he called her little bird 5 times, said she was pretty... 

In season 1, Benioff in a video said he's attracted to her... that there was much more to come of their developing relationship... and Cogman said their relationship is a big part of the show. And more...

Didn't Cersi coin the term "little bird" for Sansa?  

Would be funny if Sansa dies next episode and we are all proven wrong =0

1 minute ago, Le Cygne said:

So is what you're saying is that you think Sansa will marry Sandor?  I will just be totally incredulous if that were to happen.  They haven't prepared the show viewer for something like that to happen at. all.  Most of the little hints that could mean that GRRM has eventual plans for them, the show viewer knows nothing about.  They see what's on the screen, and these 2 haven't interacted in nearly 6 seasons, even though they are now living at the same house.  Sansa is making doe eyes at Theon, 4 episodes before the end (though I intensely hope that will just end up being platonic).  

On the other hand, Bradam, I don't agree with you either.  I don't think Sandor simply viewed Sansa as part of his duty to the crown.  He definitely had a true soft spot for her and wanted to protect her, whatever the reason behind it was.  And no, Cersei called her "little dove". 

9 minutes ago, Bradam said:

To me that dosent show a love interest, more that hey Sandor is actually human and dosent think its rtight for Sansa to get treated that way.  His job was protect Joffery and his property, which is Sansa by extension.  If he hadn't saved Sansa from the mob Joffery would have had him executed.  Or if he stood back and let Sansa push Joffery off the bridge Cersi certainly would have had him executed.  

Him offering to take her to Winterfell was most likely to collect ransom, just like he was trying to do with Arya. 

No, because Tyrion tried to get Joff to order Trant to go get Sansa and he wouldn't, so its absolutely false that the Hound would have faced any consequences for not saving her.

Yep. Sandor went on his own to find Sansa and rescue her. He always does. Books and show.

As for the rest... no one knows how the story ends until the book series is finished.

Sansa and the Hound is based on Beauty and the Beast. This is a pivotal scene for Sansa and Sandor, written by the author for the show, based on the book story.

The author said there are all of these of people who want to see Sansa and Sandor get together in the end, there's something there, books and show, right after that scene aired.

In the DVD commentary for this scene, Lena Headey says he loves you when Sansa asks Sandor why he's there, and Peter Dinklage sings Beauty and the Beast about Sansa and Sandor.

The author has a picture of them as Beauty and the Beast that he asked for on his wall. He put a picture of them called SanSan on his site. He said there's more to come.

Who knows what the show will do, they took her own story away from her. The show is fanfic at this point, and it's all meaningless. The real story is in the books.

ps. Just watched the show scene of the big rescue again... Once again, Sandor did his own thing to look after Sansa. And the show hammers this in. He says "I didn't do it for you" as in, he did it for Sansa.

46 minutes ago, Red Dragon10 said:

So is what you're saying is that you think Sansa will marry Sandor?  I will just be totally incredulous if that were to happen.  They haven't prepared the show viewer for something like that to happen at. all.  Most of the little hints that could mean that GRRM has eventual plans for them, the show viewer knows nothing about.  They see what's on the screen, and these 2 haven't interacted in nearly 6 seasons, even though they are now living at the same house.  Sansa is making doe eyes at Theon, 4 episodes before the end (though I intensely hope that will just end up being platonic). 

Well they were able to get Gendry and Arya together in just two episodes, with a lot of people even denying he would even be at Winterfell at the start of S8, and after episode 1 still believing that Gendry's main importance is making Lightbringer. So, there's time to wrap things up in just two episodes for Sansa as well. Perhaps they simply did not want both relationships come to its romantic conclusion at the same time, especially since they have to show scenes for Jaime and Brienne and Dany and Jon as well. With Gendry and Arya as a pair, they either kill him off next episode (and imo all the signs if I look back since the wight-hunt hint that he's fucked in both meanings of the word), and if they don't, they would need less screen time on that romance, as they gave little screen time to Dany & Jon except for one scene last episode. 

As I see it they focused a lot on Dany and Jon in S7 final and epi 1, but less in epi 2, and for all we know they might separate coming episodes due to Dany being pissed over the fact that Jon has a bigger claim to the IT than she has. Then Gendry and Arya are set-up to hook up again in epi 1 and they hooked up in epi 2, and since they have at least 2 seasons of relating already they don't need to explore it much further or they have him die. In epi 2 they set up the romantic ties for Jaime and Brienne, and since they are battling together in epi 3 it will have some airtime in there, coming to a conclusion in epi 4 if not epi 3. One of them at least we expect to die in the final season. Tyrion's mention of how he would like to die, was an indirect reminder of how Jaime likes to die. Epi 3 could include a significant scene of the Hound into Sansa's plot, and has two more episodes at least to give as much screentime to it as Gendry and Arya had.

So, the argument that there is no time anymore is imo just not true.

As for Theon and Sansa, it was mostly Theon making the doe eyes at Sansa, and she just being charmed by it. I did not however had the impression that she recopricated it. I'd compare it to Arya seeing Hot Pie again, or rather Hot Pie seeing Arya again. 

I think the relationships between Sansa and Sandor in the book and in the show are different; so I'll address the show only.  

On the show, Sansa and Sandor don't have quite as much chemistry, in terms of interesting onscreen interaction, as Arya and Sandor do.  That might be the main reason why they haven't yet given any of the minimal screen time given all the characters in this too-short-a-season to Sandor and Sansa.  But it doesn't really make sense that Sansa would not know that Sandor was at Winterfell; or would think about talking to him.  I would have thought that she might have gone to greet him/wish him luck on the night of the battle that might kill both of them.  I can only chalk up the lack of a Sansa-Sandor meeting to the producers thinking that there wasn't enough time in the episode.  

It's also a bit odd that Sandor hasn't asked Arya how her sister is doing.  Maybe he wanted to, but decided to keep his feelings to himself.  

I would think that they'll write in one final interaction between Sandor and Sansa. He was one of her few allies in Joffrey's court; her only ally if one discounts Ser Dontos (who was acting on Littlefinger's orders, with payment expected).  But it could be that they won't do it...

How did 'shipping' come to refer to pairing off couples?

I don't think Sansa will marry anyone in the show. It will be one of those open endings for fans to speculate about for years to come.

Sandor seems to have a soft spot for Stark girls. Why do y'all suppose that is? Sansa was the first person we ever saw him show any sympathy/tenderness for. Could it have something to do with his hatred of Joffrey and Sansa was his object of torment? Then he took care of Arya even after it was clear he wasn't going to receive any reward. 

Sandor and Arya made amends. I hope that we will get to see Sansa and him have some kind of moment as well.

27 minutes ago, SansaJonRule said:

How did 'shipping' come to refer to pairing off couples?

It's initially derived from relationship. "I ship them"

In some cases, like Jon and Daenerys, it makes extra sense. Because they where on an actual ship. 

Archived