The Golden Company!

The Red Queen

Every time I see everyone standing in straight lines staring forward on a ship it makes me smirk, it looks so stupid. Other than that I don't think they really knew what to do with the King's Landing plot and anything there will likely be rushed, what's the point in the golden company without the Aegon plot? Something to give Cersei any semblance of being a threat basically to add a little conflict into the end of her story when it gets pulled off the backburner. 

The inclusion of the Golden Company really bothered me, if only because the show is disregarding their history from the books. Who in a million years would invite The Golden Company over to Westeros? To defend the crown, no less! I just feel like the showrunners were like 'we need a convenient army, just pick the name of a fancy sounding sellsword company from the books' and in doing so completally cut the four Blackfyre Rebellions and the War of the Ninepenny Kings out of history. I guess they didn't even try with the whole Bloodraven thing, so I guess I'm not that surprised.

12 hours ago, Others Take Them said:

The inclusion of the Golden Company really bothered me, if only because the show is disregarding their history from the books. Who in a million years would invite The Golden Company over to Westeros? To defend the crown, no less! I just feel like the showrunners were like 'we need a convenient army, just pick the name of a fancy sounding sellsword company from the books' and in doing so completally cut the four Blackfyre Rebellions and the War of the Ninepenny Kings out of history. I guess they didn't even try with the whole Bloodraven thing, so I guess I'm not that surprised.

Or ... the showrunners may just have the Golden Company behave like we think that they would.  It wouldn't be the first time that Cersei has midjudged her "allies".  Remember the Sparrows?  What did Tywin say to her - "I don't trust you because you are not as clever as you think you are".

Yeah I'm fully expecting them to either stab her in the back and switch sides, or to die before they are of any real use to her. 

I don't expect there to be a final battle with the remains of the northern army on one side, and the golden company on the other (even if it would be quite ironic to have the future of Westeros be decided in a battle between foreigners.)

On 4/23/2019 at 2:02 PM, The Red Queen said:

So how does everyone feel about them? Besides they didn't bring their elephants LOL

How big of a role do you think they will play? Jorah used to be a member of them, do you think that will help Dany and Jon?

My first impression is kinda meh. Their storyline is probably to just be cannon fodder for Cersei.

• 2 weeks later...

I just thought it was stupid beyond stupid to see The Golden Company pledge some kind of loyalty (based on money, I know, but still) to Cersei. Considering their storyline from the books - not least what they do at the end of ADWD - their appearance in the show totally contradicts this. Which on the other hand doesn't surprise me that much - there's been a lot of weird things happening over the last two seasons as well, starting with the fate of Stannis...

Surely, this is part of Aegon's plot from the books.  All the existing characters have taken parts of others' plots from the books (Ayra has her own, Lord Manderley's pies, Lady Stoneheart/BwB's Frey revenge plot, for instance).  Pretty sure Jon has part of Aegon's plot, and this bit has been taken by Cersei because in the books it will be Aegon in King's Landing backed by the Golden Company.  It's playing Plotzee.

On 5/7/2019 at 8:09 AM, Jaqen Hghar said:

I just thought it was stupid beyond stupid to see The Golden Company pledge some kind of loyalty (based on money, I know, but still) to Cersei. Considering their storyline from the books - not least what they do at the end of ADWD - their appearance in the show totally contradicts this. Which on the other hand doesn't surprise me that much - there's been a lot of weird things happening over the last two seasons as well, starting with the fate of Stannis...

Didn't Stannis hire the Golden Company (or part of it)?   In the show.  I wonder if this comes up again.   I doubt it.

5 hours ago, Tywin Tytosson said:

Didn't Stannis hire the Golden Company (or part of it)?   In the show.  I wonder if this comes up again.   I doubt it.

No, but based upon the what happen in Bravos and the show's logic he should have.  By show logic he should have been able to land as Eastwatch with at least 25,000 men and a still impressive fleet.

4 minutes ago, nyser1 said:

No, but based upon the what happen in Bravos and the show's logic he should have.  By show logic he should have been able to land as Eastwatch with at least 25,000 men and a still impressive fleet.

Stannis hired 10,000 men of the Golden Company I thought.  With the Iron Bank's loan.

Just now, Tywin Tytosson said:

Stannis hired 10,000 men of the Golden Company I thought.  With the Iron Bank's loan.

The only group they mentioned specifically were the Stormcrows when Davos says all 500 of them left with some other text.

1 minute ago, nyser1 said:

The only group they mentioned specifically were the Stormcrows when Davos says all 500 of them left with some other text.

The Stormcrows were a mountain clan from the Vale, I thought.  Under Tyrion's command until Tywin paid them off and sent the home after the Battle of the Blackwater.

1 minute ago, Tywin Tytosson said:

The Stormcrows were a mountain clan from the Vale, I thought.  Under Tyrion's command until Tywin paid them off and sent the home after the Battle of the Blackwater.

Those are the Stone Crows friend :).

Archived