Why is Sandor (The Hound) NOT a Knight?

It seems to me that Sandor has always served his king/prince, and other members of the royal family well.  I know he is unofficially referred to as "Ser Sandor", but why not officially?  Why was he not knighted?

Thanks,

After seeing his brother knighted by Prince Rhaegar Targaryen despite being an infamously dishonorable man, Sandor became jaded with knighthood and developed an extreme contempt for romances and songs which present knights and wars as chivalrous and glorious, knowing all too well that supposedly honorable knights frequently butcher the innocent while claiming glory. Thus, Sandor has steadfastly refused to be knighted or take holy vows.

This is a quote from https://gameofthrones.fandom.com/wiki/Sandor_Clegane

Its been a while since I watched the earlier seasons, but do they not explain it in the show? Him not wanting to be a knight it a big part of his character in the books. 

Basically he believes the title of knight is pointless if a complete psycho like his brother can get the title. 

11 hours ago, Euron III Greyjoy said:

Its been a while since I watched the earlier seasons, but do they not explain it in the show? Him not wanting to be a knight it a big part of his character in the books. 

Basically he believes the title of knight is pointless if a complete psycho like his brother can get the title. 

They don't explain it explicitly to my recollection. But you get the idea that the Cleganes exist to do the Lannisters' dirty work: murder royal women and children, terrorize civilians in the Riverlands, kill butchers' boys. More thuggish than knightish. 

20 hours ago, Euron III Greyjoy said:

Him not wanting to be a knight it a big part of his character in the books. 

They don't explain it in the episodes. On DVD there is a "Histories & Lore" special explaining it. I quote the relevant part in #3.

1 hour ago, Kajjo said:

They don't explain it in the episodes. On DVD there is a "Histories & Lore" special explaining it. I quote the relevant part in #3.

They don't explain it, but he does sneer at the romantic idea of knights, frequently, and he also says stuff like "I'm no ser" (with a disgusted voice) to Ser Loras when he saves him from the Mountain.  So they did retain that part of his character, they just don't totally spell it out. 

Archived