What’s going to go down in the crypts?

MarienneOfTarth

6 hours ago, Runaway Penguin said:

TBH... It may just be a misdirection for us to expect something horrible to happen there while the real stuff is set up elsewhere. Maybe the crypts are safe.

I think the Stark Dead will not rise. And if they will, they will rise AGAINST the Night King. That is why they are there with swords on their laps, they are to guard something - or against something. Night King is not necromancer, he raises only people he killed (directly or by cold and wights). He has no power over long time dead (that we know of).

At the same time, from narrative point of view, basically "all of North" is down there, so mass killing would mean Jon ultimately lost in his efforts to protect the Kingdoms of Men. So I think the crypts and their inhabitants will be in danger, but not overrun/suffering massive losses. After all that would make Sansa's story arc utterly pointless (working her way to be a great leader for the North... Only to have everyone in the North die? Don't think so). And Jon's as well. 

Maybe it would be a way for the NK to get into the castle. Maybe it will be his escape route. Maybe he will launch attack on the crypt as a spoiling attack to let NK get away. I mean ultimately all NK has to care about are his Craster's Sons and himself - he can launch wights to certain undeath without any reprecussions, so even if they would not be able to break into the crypts, the heroes would surely have to stop them.

Emphasis done by me.

1-I think is a book thing, not a show thing.  On the show they all look stone.

2-Aren't the swords Valerian steel? They're like silver to a werewolf to wights & WW correct?

1 hour ago, Nugget1229 said:

Emphasis done by me.

1-I think is a book thing, not a show thing.  On the show they all look stone.

2-Aren't the swords Valerian steel? They're like silver to a werewolf to wights & WW correct?

In the books, the swords are said to keep the spirits away. They were iron swords in the books. In our world, iron is used to keep ghost at bay.

Sadly I think the crypts are going to be a big nothing burger. I think they hoped to hype the book fans with something going on down there, but nothing will. Just Jon/Dany learn the truth about Jon. Then later on they will use the crypts as a means to escape when the WW demolish Winterfell.

8 minutes ago, btfu806 said:

Sadly I think the crypts are going to be a big nothing burger. I think they hoped to hype the book fans with something going on down there, but nothing will. Just Jon/Dany learn the truth about Jon. Then later on they will use the crypts as a means to escape when the WW demolish Winterfell.

This is what I'm thinking too. They have to escape WF somehow and a secret tunnel in the crypts would give them that. Any other way of escape, the WW could easily slaughter them imo.

8 minutes ago, Daemon The Black Dragon said:

This is what I'm thinking too. They have to escape WF somehow and a secret tunnel in the crypts would give them that. Any other way of escape, the WW could easily slaughter them imo.

Exactly, and I think Bran and Rickon used it before to escape? If I remember.

At the very least, I hope we learn the reason for why "A Stark must always be in Winterfell."

If we get just that from the crypts, I will be happy.

9 hours ago, Runaway Penguin said:

I think the Stark Dead will not rise. And if they will, they will rise AGAINST the Night King. That is why they are there with swords on their laps, they are to guard something - or against something. Night King is not necromancer, he raises only people he killed (directly or by cold and wights). He has no power over long time dead (that we know of).

I was about to say the same. It is like the wall. There is magic inside but against the dead

2 hours ago, nborders said:

The Night King raised all the dead bodies at Hardhome, and he didn’t kill any of those people. 

Well, any WW or NK or wights.

9 hours ago, House Cambodia said:

Now that's a very interesting point - is it fact or speculation? Guess we'll find out soon enough!

It would (!) make sense to me if the White Walkers incl the Nightking would only raise people that have been killed by White Walkers incl. Nightking or wights. However, we do not really have any clues to that, I believe. We just don't know the exact conditions of this magic.

57 minutes ago, btfu806 said:

At the very least, I hope we learn the reason for why "A Stark must always be in Winterfell."

My theory is, it was part of a pact with the WW that along with something else unsavoury that wasn't common knowledge (child offering like Craster, for example).  Whatever it was it was only passed to the heir of Winterfell.  But the deaths of Rickard and Brandon at the same time threw a spanner in that machine and Ned didn't get the Memo.  

Kicking off what we have now. 

BTW who was the Stark in Winterfell during the Harrenhal Tourney? 

22 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

Well, any WW or NK or wights.

It would (!) make sense to me if the White Walkers incl the Nightking would only raise people that have been killed by White Walkers incl. Nightking or wights. However, we do not really have any clues to that, I believe. We just don't know the exact conditions of this magic.

If they could only raise those directly killed by them, then it would be absolutely unnecessary for the Wildlings and the Night Watch to be so adamant about always burning their dead.

3 hours ago, btfu806 said:

Exactly, and I think Bran and Rickon used it before to escape? If I remember.

If we get just that from the crypts, I will be happy.

I don't think the show will give any reasons for why "A Stark must always be in WF". It's not a big thing in the show, if I remember right. We'll probably have to wait for the last 2 books to find that out.

I think Uncle Benjen might be a big clue as to how the dead Starks react if they rise from the dead. When we saw him last season he didn’t look fully human and mentioned to Jon (IRC) that he can’t go south of the wall now. So if he is “dead” and fighting against the WW then maybe the other Starks will do the same. 

I’m 50/50 on if they’ll even rise from the dead. 

7 minutes ago, Lord Mormont said:

I think Uncle Benjen might be a big clue as to how the dead Starks react if they rise from the dead. When we saw him last season he didn’t look fully human and mentioned to Jon (IRC) that he can’t go south of the wall now. So if he is “dead” and fighting against the WW then maybe the other Starks will do the same. 

I’m 50/50 on if they’ll even rise from the dead. 

But Benjen had a bit of help from the COTF to stop him turning. 

"Last night he had dreamt the Winterfell dream again. He was wandering the empty castle, searching for his father, descending into the crypts. Only this time the dream had gone further than before. In the dark he’d heard the scrape of stone on stone. When he turned he saw that the vaults were opening, one after the other. As the dead kings came stumbling from their cold black graves, Jon had woken in pitch-dark, his heart hammering." - Jon VII, A Game of Thrones

On 4/24/2019 at 1:25 PM, Daemon The Black Dragon said:

How could there be any escape that way that didn't include wights and Others slaughtering them like the children so many of them are?

There can be no escape for Bran until they disable his GPS tracker, and they cannot do that while the Others’ great leader exists.

I’m having a really hard time seeing Bran’s wheelchair carried off to “safety” by a fleeing Drogon, although I can see the Last Greenseer wearing the skin of the dragon of his choice.

Archived