What’s going to go down in the crypts?

MarienneOfTarth

9 hours ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

How could there be any escape that way that didn't include wights and Others slaughtering them like the children so many of them are?

There can be no escape for Bran until they disable his GPS tracker, and they cannot do that while the Others’ great leader exists.

I’m having a really hard time seeing Bran’s wheelchair carried off to “safety” by a fleeing Drogon, although I can see the Last Greenseer wearing the skin of the dragon of his choice.

Well, the people who survive the battle have to escape somehow. All around WF looks like open ground, so going that way would or should lead to their slaughter. Everyone can't escape by dragons, so a escape tunnel in the crypts makes since, right? As for Bran, I think he dies in episode 3.

I think I know what is about to happen (and in fact I am annoyed at my self because it fits perfectly  and I think I have just spoiled myself : ) I would prefer not to know and be shocked with the rest of you) so if you don't want to know stay away

Spoiler

From the books we know from Yngrite that beyond the Wall people with grayscale are considered vile creatures and for all purposes dead. Jon dismisses this as prejudice of the ignorant wildlings and we know that grayscale in children is not fatal and (from the show) we also know that it is even curable. However, we also know that Jon knows nothing and that grayscale originates from Gavin who was defeated by the Valyrians, so it is basically not a disease but a curse, a magical state of being. We also know that Yngrite is not showing hate against the grayscaled  but fear. Now, you might say that there is no record of someone inflicted by grayscale turning into a wight but what if this is because records were kept south of the Wall, and the presence of the Wall prevented the magic of White walkers from reaching the diseased and turning them, while in the north there have been such incidents, which have caused the Free Folk's prejudice. However, now that the Wall is down, its protection is lost and the grayscaled are vulnerable.

So, what about the battle at hand? Is there a grayscale inflicted person in Winterfell? Well if you remember from the last episode the little girl talking to Davos (I loved this interaction with Davos and what it meant for him emotionally, so I totally missed it the first time I saw it), you should also remember that they sent her to the crypts to defend the people there. 

I think she will turn and she will then start turning-infecting everyone in the crypts even before the battle is lost outside. And in the crypts are Gilly and her baby, Varys, Tyrion, Missandrei (Sansa appears to be on the walls in the trailer so she might be safe but I am not sure of that). To tell you the truth the only one with a small chance of survival is Tyrion who has pointed out himself of his battle experience in the last episode. 

4 hours ago, koststerg said:

I think I know what is about to happen (and in fact I am annoyed at my self because it fits perfectly  and I think I have just spoiled myself : ) I would prefer not to know and be shocked with the rest of you) so if you don't want to know stay away

Reveal hidden contents

From the books we know from Yngrite that beyond the Wall people with grayscale are considered vile creatures and for all purposes dead. Jon dismisses this as prejudice of the ignorant wildlings and we know that grayscale in children is not fatal and (from the show) we also know that it is even curable. However, we also know that Jon knows nothing and that grayscale originates from Gavin who was defeated by the Valyrians, so it is basically not a disease but a curse, a magical state of being. We also know that Yngrite is not showing hate against the grayscaled  but fear. Now, you might say that there is no record of someone inflicted by grayscale turning into a wight but what if this is because records were kept south of the Wall, and the presence of the Wall prevented the magic of White walkers from reaching the diseased and turning them, while in the north there have been such incidents, which have caused the Free Folk's prejudice. However, now that the Wall is down, its protection is lost and the grayscaled are vulnerable.

So, what about the battle at hand? Is there a grayscale inflicted person in Winterfell? Well if you remember from the last episode the little girl talking to Davos (I loved this interaction with Davos and what it meant for him emotionally, so I totally missed it the first time I saw it), you should also remember that they sent her to the crypts to defend the people there. 

I think she will turn and she will then start turning-infecting everyone in the crypts even before the battle is lost outside. And in the crypts are Gilly and her baby, Varys, Tyrion, Missandrei (Sansa appears to be on the walls in the trailer so she might be safe but I am not sure of that). To tell you the truth the only one with a small chance of survival is Tyrion who has pointed out himself of his battle experience in the last episode. 

Not gonna look at your spoiler, but come monday, I will come back to this topic and laugh in your face if you're wrong. ;)

I read the spoiler and it contains assumption that the little girl going down to the crypts had greyscale. It's already been discussed in many threads here that her face had burn scars not the disease, which I also thought myself at first.

6 minutes ago, Deminelle said:

I read the spoiler and it contains assumption that the little girl going down to the crypts had greyscale. It's already been discussed in many threads here that her face had burn scars not the disease, which I also thought myself at first.

Yeah that's a pretty strange assumption to make.
It looks like burn scars, not greyscale, and I'm pretty sure Davos would react if she had actual greyscale. 

You might be right and we can have a laugh at me coming Monday (it won't be me first theory busted ;)) but Davos had a reaction. He, who is always offering console and support (as in the previous scene), remains silent and seems in a bit of a shock to me. Could it be a burn? Yes, but I think it could also be a grayscale developed relatively recently. 

A few thoughts, but I don't have a solid conclusion:

1. The swords given to each statue were supposed to be "to keep the vengeful spirits at bay". Which could mean that the graves where the swords were taken by Bran and company, and those where the swords have rusted to nothing are going to have vengeful spirits rise … or it could mean that the Stark Kings of Winter will rise to PROTECT people with those swords by keeping the NK's vengeful spirits at bay.

2. The crypts are, above all else, a place to REMEMBER those who are gone. If the NK's ultimate goal is ignorance and obliteration, then destroying the crypts will be consistent with that goal, regardless of if the dead there can or will rise.

Archived