Opinions on whether Wildfire will Destroy NK/WWs/wights

Hi,  so Arya asked if wildfire could destroy these critters, and someone said they didn't know because no one had ever tried it.  Do you think that is what her "half-bolt" is meant to do?  I thought it might be loaded with wildfire and perhaps a similar strategy to Blackwater Bay  employed.  It was interesting that the WWs were at the front.

7 hours ago, LadyNoOne said:

so Arya asked if wildfire could destroy these critters

No, she didn't as far as I remember. Where is this scene supposed to be?

During the war council Arya asks Bran whether dragon fire will kill the Nightking.

Just now, LadyNoOne said:

Since we know that dragon fire does destroy them

She inquired about the Nightking explicitly.

It is known that dragon fire can kill wights. We don't know about White Walkers, yet.

1 minute ago, LadyNoOne said:

then I assumed she meant wildfire...

We have never watched Arya handling or seeing wildfire in action. Would be weird question, Further, we have no indication to believe Winterfell has access to wildfire anyway.

6 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

She inquired about the Nightking explicitly.

It is known that dragon fire can kill wights. We don't know about White Walkers, yet.

We have never watched Arya handling or seeing wildfire in action. Would be weird question, Further, we have no indication to believe Winterfell has access to wildfire anyway.

Arya has no experience with the NK, WW, wights, or wildfire.  So, from that perspective it could be a good question.  I do doubt, however, that Winterfell would have any stores of wildfire, and I'm unsure how long it would take the Maester(s) there to synthesize it.   Cheers,

Well, since normal weapons can be used (in the show) to chop wights into little harmless bits (which is relatively easy with the skeletal ones), I don't know any reason, why wildfire cannot burn them to ash (normal fire works wonders against them).

The White Walkers are immun against fire and so probably against wildifire too. But well, they could try and fling a pot of wildfire onto some White Walkers and see what happens. If they had any wildfire that is.

3 hours ago, Haskelltier said:

The White Walkers are immun against fire

We haven't see that. 

The two scenes where the Nightking walks through fire (ring of fire around Raven's cave and one of the wights fights), please watch closely: In both cases the fire seems to be extinguished just before, maybe by the cold that is emanating from him. 

So it could be that WW are similar vulnerable to fire as normal people. Thus, dragon fire or moats of fire might turn them down.

"Immune" for fire is different.

If/when the army of the dead makes its way down to Kings Landing, I can envision Cersei devising a plot to use any remaining wild fire stores (assuming there are still some left over) to burn the whole city and everyone in it in an attempt to take out the wights and WWs. Similar to Aerys orders to "Burn them all" when Kings Landing was being sacked by Tywin.

18 hours ago, Kajjo said:

We haven't see that. 

The two scenes where the Nightking walks through fire (ring of fire around Raven's cave and one of the wights fights), please watch closely: In both cases the fire seems to be extinguished just before, maybe by the cold that is emanating from him. 

So it could be that WW are similar vulnerable to fire as normal people. Thus, dragon fire or moats of fire might turn them down.

"Immune" for fire is different.

Well, I think its safe to say, that fire doesn't harm them, because otherwise Jon wouldn't need so much dragonglass and valyrian steel swords to fight them. A well placed attack from the dragons or burning pitch could kill enough White Walkers (and the wights they reanimated) otherwise.

11 minutes ago, Haskelltier said:

Well, I think its safe to say, that fire doesn't harm them, because otherwise Jon wouldn't need so much dragonglass and valyrian steel swords to fight them. A well placed attack from the dragons or burning pitch could kill enough White Walkers (and the wights they reanimated) otherwise.

No, I don't think so.

The dragons are fine to destroy the wights, they don't need dragon glass for that.

The main problem ist that they cannot use dragon fire in close combat. As soon as the enemy gets near Winterfell, dragon fire would destroy the castle and their own people as well. They need dragon glass to have proper weapons. But dragon fire will be very useful on open ground.

The other central problem ist that the enemy has their ice dragon, too.

13 minutes ago, Haskelltier said:

Naah, from the wiki:

The Others go lightly on the snow and leave no prints to mark their passage.[4][13] Their movements can be lightning quick and graceful.[4] Extreme cold accompanies them,[3][4] but it is unknown whether the Others only come when it is so cold, or whether they bring the cold with them.[14][10] White mist also rises when they are near.[15] They might appear during snowstorms or mist, and melt away when the skies clear.[10] They hide from the light of the sun and emerge at night;[10][16][15] although once again some stories claim that their coming brings the night.[10] They are said also hate iron and fire.[6] The language the Others speak is unknown, but has been described as sounding like "the cracking of ice on a winter lake", and their laughter as being as sharp as icicles.

There mist be a reason for them to hate fire. Most likely because it is one of the few things that can harm then, like valerian steel and dragon glass.

9 hours ago, Ser Walter of AShwood said:

There mist be a reason for them to hate fire. Most likely because it is one of the few things that can harm then, like valerian steel and dragon glass.

Well, they hate iron, but they have very effectiv armour against steel weapons. In addition to that we should view the show and the books differently.

We don't really know a lot of things about the White Walkers in the books. Do they hate fire? Are they fireproof, or not? Nobody knows (the wights are clearly not fireproof, but thats a different matter).

In the show, we saw that fire retreats when White Walkers are close. So White Walkers have an advantage there in comparison to wights or humans. And I would bet, that the showrunners made White Walkers fireproof, so that one well placed attack from a dragon is not enough to deal with them.

On 4/24/2019 at 4:27 PM, LadyNoOne said:

Since we know that dragon fire does destroy them (perhaps not the NK), then I assumed she meant wildfire...

Nope.  Arya said and meant dragonfire.  Part of The Plan was for Jon, Dany, and the dragons to defend Bran against the NK.  Or for Jon and Dany and the 2 dragons to ambush the NK when he came after Bran.  Hence the question re. dragonfire.

Archived