Avengers Endgame- SPOILERS

ants

13 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

So Bruce's snap returned all the snapped people, but without changing the timeline, and apparently they returned to where they were, hence Spidey, Strange, and the rest of the Guardians coming in from Titan. Soooo, all the people that were in planes, helicopters... 

They were probably returned to their homes or the nearest applicable safe location. I doubt hundreds of thousands of people suddenly appeared 30,000 feet up and then went splat. I'm also sure the snapped Asgardians would appear in New Asgard, not in space where they'd promptly choke to death. More to the point, the Earth wouldn't be in the same part of its orbit (or the Solar system in the same part of the galaxy) that it was when the snap happened, so the fact that the people reappeared on Earth shows all of that was accounted for.

The issue about the world having gotten used to feeding far less people and then suddenly needing to feed 3.5 billion more people is a good one though. Food production capacity in the 1970s (when the world's population was last 3.5 billion) would be absolutely insufficient to feed everyone today, although our technology is superior. Maybe Wakanda has perfected food replicators?

3 minutes ago, red snow said:

Scary thing is losing half the population only takes us back to the 70s in terms of world population.

The big debate is whether it's all life or all sentient life. The former and the earth would be wrecked as ecosystems would be utterly screwed

Cap mentioned he saw some whales in the ocean, because with fewer ships and less garbage dumping, the waters were now cleaner. 

Edit: nevermind, Wert confirmed it's all life

The big debate is whether it's all life or all sentient life

The movie specifically says it's all life, everywhere. The number of birds doubling outside Avengers HQ is the first clue that Scott picks up on that the reverse-snap worked.

Here's another question: when did Steve go back to Peggy?

We know Steve was born in 1918. He was therefore 27 when he was frozen in the ice. He was revived in 2011, still biologically 27. That makes him 28 during the events of The Avengers, 30 during Winter Soldier, 31 during Age of Ultron, 32 during Civil War, 34 during Infinity War and 39 during the events of Endgame.

At the biological age of 39 he goes back in time to be with Peggy. We then see him on the bench looking a lot older, but not like ancient.

If he'd gone back to Peggy in 1945, he'd now be 117. That doesn't fit his physical age. If he'd gone back to her in 1953 (when she did the interview), he'd now be 109 which still doesn't feel right. If he'd gone back to 1970 and stayed with her there after returning the Space Stone, he'd be 92, which is more doable. However, the dance scene felt it was more like the 1940s or maybe the 1950s at the latest.

Unless the super serum slows Cap's ageing process as well as giving him his other abilities?

In the comics the serum makes him functionally immortal (until it suddenly doesnt). 

I'm not so sure 2014 alt timeline would be that bad off. Thanos is, after all, not in it. Without him, gotg isn't a big deal. Theres no big deal about the tesseract either, as it gets returned to asgard at avengers 1 and stays there until ragnarok. Dr strange can still stop dormammu, the vision and Ultron are still created.

It's basically down to whether or not Ronan went after the power stone on his own. If he did, well, things suck for xandar and whatnot, but also ego might not get to find quill since hes dead, presumably. 

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Alternatively, Steve realised he could pick up Mjolnir, but faked out so as not to embarrass Thor.

I've seen another reading that Steve was almost worthy to pick up Mjolnir but couldn't because he was still keeping a few secrets (like that Tony's parents had been murdered by HYDRA). Once that was out in the open, he was clear to go. 2023 Steve was worthy, 2015 Steve was not (but was almost there).

Alternatively, Steve didn't managed to raise it in 2015 because he wasn't serious about it, just trying to pick it up to win a bet, so his motives were essentially selfish, making him undeserving at that specific moment.  Maybe if he tried in battle to save someone it would be different.

1 hour ago, DaveSumm said:

They’ve left the exact workings of the gauntlet pretty vague, you appear to just ‘think’ what it is you want and if it’s within its power, it happens. I could imagine Tony just thinking ‘dust everyone who means us harm’, which by then would’ve excluded Gamora.

In Infinity war he seemed to need to close his fist to make it do anything. Stopping him from closing his hand is a big part of the fight on Titan.

Also a thing that bugged me, they have a timestone but still rely on the quantum device at the end.

They're gonna have to do something about Far From Home and the Hulk Snap. I re-watched the trailer, and you simply see zero sign of any 5 years of passage of time in any of the cities. I'm just not sure I'll be able to believe "We sure cleaned Earth up fast everyone!!" in the first five minutes. Nick says nice to meet you Spiderman, well they would surely have met at Tony's funeral. 

Massive amounts of PTSD, 5 years of character change (like Hawkeye going murderous Ronin, there's 3 billion people who went through the biggest event in human history). vast infrastructure deterioration? I'm more able to blink and nod away the timeline stuff like Thanos now not existing than I am expecting all of Phase 4 to happen in Snapped 2024 and Beyond.

4 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

Also a thing that bugged me, they have a timestone but still rely on the quantum device at the end.

How are you going to return the time stone to its proper time, if you're relying on it to time travel?

2 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

They're gonna have to do something about Far From Home and the Hulk Snap. I re-watched the trailer, and you simply see zero sign of any 5 years of passage of time in any of the cities. I'm just not sure I'll be able to believe "We sure cleaned Earth up fast everyone!!" in the first five minutes. Nick says nice to meet you Spiderman, well they would surely have met at Tony's funeral. 

The theory that Far From Home happens just before IW is still valid, imo.

1 hour ago, DaveSumm said:

They’ve left the exact workings of the gauntlet pretty vague, you appear to just ‘think’ what it is you want and if it’s within its power, it happens. I could imagine Tony just thinking ‘dust everyone who means us harm’, which by then would’ve excluded Gamora.

I’d also say that trading a life for the soul stone exempts that life from being returned via the stone, hence why that Gamora is permanently dead and why there was no point trying to get Nat back. You can cheat time, you can’t cheat the stones.

I had a conversation about the gauntlet and why it takes all the stones and the functions they would each serve and while I'm sure they didn't actually intend an explanation this in depth I thought it was kinda neat and fits:

• Mind stone is in the middle of the gauntlet because its what ties it all together - its effectively an absurdly advanced super computer that may be running an artificial intelligence
  • Spirit stone is the interface to the person wielding it, it takes the rather vague instructions that come from a thought and translate it into an actual command. The mind stone as the CPU then runs all the calculations that determine how to carry out the command
  • Time stone massively expands the processing power of the mind stone - it can use it to run billions of parallel calculations similarly to how we see Strange use it, but a lot more efficiently (so many more)
  • Space stone connects the gauntlet to all of reality simultaneously, kinda like getting the entire universe in the same quantum entanglement, so that the modification can be performed in all locations at the same time
  • Reality stone actually makes the modification as per the determined instructions
  • Power stone provides the juice to the reality stone

This model would fit well with what you're saying for Tony's vague thought

8 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

In Infinity war he seemed to need to close his fist to make it do anything. Stopping him from closing his hand is a big part of the fight on Titan.

Under the above model, snapping your finger is essentially hitting enter on the command.

9 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

In the comics the serum makes him functionally immortal (until it suddenly doesnt). 

I'm not so sure 2014 alt timeline would be that bad off. Thanos is, after all, not in it. Without him, gotg isn't a big deal. Theres no big deal about the tesseract either, as it gets returned to asgard at avengers 1 and stays there until ragnarok. Dr strange can still stop dormammu, the vision and Ultron are still created.

It's basically down to whether or not Ronan went after the power stone on his own. If he did, well, things suck for xandar and whatnot, but also ego might not get to find quill since hes dead, presumably. 

Yeah that's what I find funny about it - they take what they need from that timeline and do their best to return it afterwards, but they've actually managed to make that alternate timeline better than theirs by accident.

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

Potential plot hole: how did Clint and Natasha find the soul stone? The only two people who knew the exact location were dead, unless Gamora told Nebula details, and not just that it's on Vormir. Planets, they are big.

I always have a gripe when characters go to a planet and land within a mile of whatever they are looking for. Think about Luke landing on Degobah.  There are no life forms or cities on the planet yet he lands within a mile or 2 of Yoda.

7 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

How are you going to return the time stone to its proper time, if you're relying on it to time travel?

The theory that Far From Home happens just before IW is still valid, imo.

According to Sony (at any rate), Far From Home begins "moments" after the end of Endgame, so you'd hope this would be addressed.

9 minutes ago, Werthead said:

According to Sony (at any rate), Far From Home begins "moments" after the end of Endgame, so you'd hope this would be addressed.

So Peter and friends have a school trip soon after returning to school, to relax and stuff. I suppose the scene where Peter goes back to school could be months after the battle. The administrative side of all this even just for the school system would be a nightmare.

So can we talk about Fat Thor?

I CANNOT get over it.  He is easily the best part of the movie to me. They made him the hero in Infinity War and the drunk uncle in Endgame.  All his lines are delivered so well, he legit seemed drunk to me. The banter between him and Quill at the end is priceless. I just cannot get over what a great job Hemsworth did, considering how uninteresting Thor was is Thor 1 and 2. Obviously Ragnarok was a HUGE step forward but he fucking killed it in Endgame last night.

OOOHHHH also--so Loki escaped with the Tesseract...does this mean he altered time and essentially escaped Death by Choking from Thanos? Since he is about to have his own show on DisneyPlus I assume he somehow did not die in Infinity War right?

5 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

How was everyone's theater experience?

My place apparently had 12 of 16 theaters for Endgame, one showing every fifteen minutes or so. They've recently remodeled so every screen room has only those gigantic lazy boy chairs, resulting in far fewer people per room. I went to an 8:45 show, and honestly I'm kind of disappointed in the crowd. It was almost completely silent the entire movie. Some polite Ooohs and Aahhhs at the big moments, but never any outright cheering, hardly even any loud laughter at the best bits. Cmon people lighten up! Compare that to my opening day visit to Black Panther, which I think was the absolute most fun I've ever had, crowd-dependent. Certainly regarding seeing that in Manhattan and seeing this at a suburban midwest theater had very different demographics, but still. 

Hell the young woman next to me even glanced over when I muffled a cackle at seeing Fat Thor. Come on girl lighten the F up! Hope y'all got to do some clapping and cheering with a more raucous crowd, instead of the golf fans in mine!

I'm currently in London and went to a late night showing in an IMAX full of people that loved to movie. It was fun lots laughing and clapping/cheering. 

I even heard a boo during the Aladdin trailer before the movie.. . Lol

2 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

How was everyone's theater experience?

My place apparently had 12 of 16 theaters for Endgame, one showing every fifteen minutes or so. They've recently remodeled so every screen room has only those gigantic lazy boy chairs, resulting in far fewer people per room. I went to an 8:45 show, and honestly I'm kind of disappointed in the crowd. It was almost completely silent the entire movie. Some polite Ooohs and Aahhhs at the big moments, but never any outright cheering, hardly even any loud laughter at the best bits. Cmon people lighten up! Compare that to my opening day visit to Black Panther, which I think was the absolute most fun I've ever had, crowd-dependent. Certainly regarding seeing that in Manhattan and seeing this at a suburban midwest theater had very different demographics, but still. 

Hell the young woman next to me even glanced over when I muffled a cackle at seeing Fat Thor. Come on girl lighten the F up! Hope y'all got to do some clapping and cheering with a more raucous crowd, instead of the golf fans in mine!

Oh the entire audience gasped and then busted out laughing at Fat Thor. It was easily the funniest scene of the movie. and every line he spoke for the next hour after his initial entrance, everyone was like crying laughing.

my husband has issues with Thor because I am so in love with him, so he was LOVING Fat Thor and just giggling through all of his scenes. I could not have enjoyed a movie more I dont think.

9 minutes ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

So can we talk about Fat Thor?

I CANNOT get over it.  He is easily the best part of the movie to me. They made him the hero in Infinity War and the drunk uncle in Endgame.  All his lines are delivered so well, he legit seemed drunk to me. The banter between him and Quill at the end is priceless. I just cannot get over what a great job Hemsworth did, considering how uninteresting Thor was is Thor 1 and 2. Obviously Ragnarok was a HUGE step forward but he fucking killed it in Endgame last night.

OOOHHHH also--so Loki escaped with the Tesseract...does this mean he altered time and essentially escaped Death by Choking from Thanos? Since he is about to have his own show on DisneyPlus I assume he somehow did not die in Infinity War right?

I knew Loki would never stay dead.

2 minutes ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

Oh the entire audience gasped and then busted out laughing at Fat Thor. It was easily the funniest scene of the movie. and every line he spoke for the next hour after his initial entrance, everyone was like crying laughing.

my husband has issues with Thor because I am so in love with him, so he was LOVING Fat Thor and just giggling through all of his scenes. I could not have enjoyed a movie more I dont think.

Fat Thors "The Dude" look was the best. 

Thor abides I guess. 

Funny! We got Lion King in ours, not Aladdin. Same as Endgame itself, no one reacted to even the damn Star Wars trailer. I suppose it's a minor regret for buying a ticket late and only getting into one of the small theaters - I am sure the big IMAX one in my cineplex was hopping more. It was obviously an odd enough crowd for me to mention it here twice! Hell I almost want to go again tonight to a bigger showing, so I can laugh and clap again at all the great spots, but those are all sold out too :D 

As per people's favorite little moments:

Man Loki's face when he noticed the case and picked up the Tesseract was absurdly satisfying, probably my favorite single non-dramatic moment. Professor Hulk watching Hulk Smash and saying "gratuitous" or whatever was superb. Korg being cyber bullied on Fortnite cracked me up far more than it should have, and I dislike that game and its popularity. Valkyrie was a fucking badass throughout and I cheerfully admit that Thompson is at the top of my list of impossibly attractive and charming on-screen women. The "That's America's ass" line was pretty fantastic, and then him looking down on his own butt. Oh man. I thought the Ladies Assemble moment was great, albeit futile in the battle.  

I could go on and on, as I'm sure all of you could. So many terrific little fan service nods that worked great to me.

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

Yes I believe the serum would give him unnatural long life.

no matter how this is explained I dont understand how GOTG 1 and 2 could have happened normal. Nebula is dead in 2014 first of all so how could GOTG 1 or 2 happen?

Archived