Avengers Endgame- SPOILERS

ants

Wow. Just, wow. 

I mean, holy shit it was good. Twist after twist. So many times you went WTF. Tears, laughter, the cinema exploding into applause. So much respect to the characters and what had gone before. 

Oh, and we will have spoilers in this thread. 

So, spoilers....

what was best? A fat Thor? Heil Hydra? Gamora and Nebula? The entry of everyone to the battle? The way they dealt with time (other than the issue of what the ending meant for that universe with Thanos and did Nebula go back?). Stark’s sacrifice? The Cap’s ending? Thor maybe in GOT3? Loki’s antics? ALL the cameos and flash backs?

the fact after over a decade Marcel brought this arc to an end with Infinity War and this, well I just bow down to Marvel  

There were a few questions, but frankly discussing them feels like nitpicking. 

Hey ants, I just saw it too. I thought it was fantastic, and a fitting ending to this whole Marvel arc.

Some good bits:

• I liked that they killed Thanos really early on. It made you wonder, "What's the rest of this movie going to be about?"
  • Like in Infinity War, there were real stakes in this one. A real sense of horror when you realised that the old Thanos had cottoned onto what was happening. There were people in the cinema literally saying "no no no no" out loud when Nebula's memory was being played.
  • The moment when Thanos had the gauntlet again, I saw the girl in the row in front of me squeal and throw herself into her boyfriend's arms. Some of the emotion was that visceral.
  • The massively unwieldy cast was handled well. Great emotion when all the reborn heroes appeared again. Lots of little nods to things and relationships that happened before.
  • Stark getting the better of Thanos and wielding the gauntlet. "I am Iron Man." The best shot of the movie!

My only quibble is that the pacing seemed a bit uneven at the start. The first hour seemed a bit long and slow. It was only once the old Thanos cottoned on to what was happening that you started getting a real sense of urgency. Overall, I think Infinity War was maybe a slightly better movie overall but Endgame was certainly a very, very strong finish.

Oh, another great iconic moment - Cap wielding Mjolnir. Lots of cheers in the audience at that point (and Australian crowds are generally more subdued than American ones - it takes a lot for everyone to make some noise).

And a second little moment - seconds before Stark rips the Stones from Thanos, Dr Strange holding his index finger up, indicating that yes, this is the one scenario that they win.

10 minutes ago, DMC said:

Spoil me - I've never cared about that.  Is his ending what's been speculated on reddit, going back to dance with Peggy?

Yup.

Sounds like all the latest "leaks" or whatever were basically right then.  For all the shit we give leakers, by my count their record is far greater than your average respectable political journalist.  Anyway, what exactly is Tony's sacrifice?  The accounts I've read aren't very clear.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

Sounds like all the latest "leaks" or whatever were basically right then.  For all the shit we give leakers, by my count their record is far greater than your average respectable political journalist.  Anyway, what exactly is Tony's sacrifice?  The accounts I've read aren't very clear.

I had a few looks at the leaks when I came home, and the ones I've seen are way off base...

8 minutes ago, DMC said:

He uses the infinity gauntlet which saves everyone but mortally wounds him. After he’s created a life with Potts and has a very cute daughter. 

1 hour ago, Jeor said:

Oh, another great iconic moment - Cap wielding Mjolnir. Lots of cheers in the audience at that point (and Australian crowds are generally more subdued than American ones - it takes a lot for everyone to make some noise).

And a second little moment - seconds before Stark rips the Stones from Thanos, Dr Strange holding his index finger up, indicating that yes, this is the one scenario that they win.

The whole crowd cheered when Cap used Mjolnir. :)

2 minutes ago, ants said:

He uses the infinity gauntlet which saves everyone but mortally wounds him. After he’s created a life with Potts and has a very cute daughter. 

Part of me wondered why he needed to actually use the gauntlet in a "snap" situation to make Thanos and all his army vanish. Maybe he could have "conventionally" used it which wouldn't have killed him from the strain - but I guess in the desperation of the moment you just do what you can.

9 minutes ago, Jeor said:

I had a few looks at the leaks when I came home, and the ones I've seen are way off base...

Well, you gotta filter out the crazies, which actually reddit does a pretty damn good job of doing these days.  Sadly, the same could be said for political journalists.

And thanks, @ants

Just now, DMC said:

Well, you gotta filter out the crazies, which actually reddit does a pretty damn good job of doing these days.  Sadly, the same could be said for political journalists.

And thanks, @ants

The biggest Reddit leak "Seymour" had some accurate bits (e.g. Cap's ending) but the other details were a bit hit and miss.

One other plot element I wondered about - the five year gap, for me, seems too big. I'm glad they didn't spend any time on looking at the impact on the wider world of the snap (that's not what we came to see) but a whole five years seems a really long time to me.

I guess the five year gap allows for the audience to reflect that at least Stark got five good and relatively peaceful years with Pepper and his kid before he dies.

Loki's glee when the tesseract bounced next to his foot and he just picks it up and teleports was one of my favourite bits. I wonder if that Loki is the one we'll follow in a show since primary timeline Loki is dead and that one hasn't had all the experiences that reform him.

The call backs to other films in the time travel like the elevator scene before the "heil hydra" and then that which cracked me up and was probably the biggest surprise in the movie.

Caps frustration at how annoying his earlier self was.

The sudden explosion of tension when Hawkeye looks out the window, sees Thanos's ship and suddenly missiles are exploding and the entire complex is destroyed.

Carol's gay as fuck haircut following all the romantic coding with Maria in CM.

Being certain that Clint and Nat were going to genuinely fight to save each other from the sacrifice and being shocked Nat won.

Nebula's weakness being networking that she isn't even aware of was a great way to have the plan to to shit.

The importance of Strange giving the time stone to Thanos being even more detailed than it seemed, with that act being the thing that convinces The Ancient One to let Bruce have the time stone.

Everything with Cap and Mjolnir and Thor, including that the went all in on that giving him the power of Thor and getting to keep it when he went into the past.

Just some of the things sticking in my memory as things I loved from this.

18 minutes ago, Jeor said:

Part of me wondered why he needed to actually use the gauntlet in a "snap" situation to make Thanos and all his army vanish. Maybe he could have "conventionally" used it which wouldn't have killed him from the strain - but I guess in the desperation of the moment you just do what you can.

I think at that point where Thanos had decided to go even further and completely remake the universe meant he just can't risk it and had to end Thanos and the threat he posed for good.

Sorry to triple post but probably my biggest surprise was how much of the damage wasn't undone. Half the people in existence were gone for 5 years, this inflicted major trauma on everyone that doesn't just go away.

Nat is dead. Clint has 5 years of being pretty awful to live with as he tries to go back to his family. Yes there is a Gamora to be in future GOTG movies but she's not their Gamora, she came to the good side in a completely different way and doesn't have any of the experiences with them and especially with Quill.

The people snapped came back as we all knew they would, but Infinity War didn't simply get undone.

1 minute ago, karaddin said:

The people snapped came back as we all knew they would, but Infinity War didn't simply get undone.

Yeah, there were quite a few permanent deaths in this movie.

Natasha and Stark, obviously, who both had big on-screen deaths. But don't forget Vision, who's never coming back, and I count Gamora still as a loss - as you say, the surviving Gamora is basically a new character with no GoTG experience, not the old Gamora that we know and love. And Cap is basically a loss, although he did get his happy ending.

34 minutes ago, Jeor said:

One other plot element I wondered about - the five year gap, for me, seems too big.

It is absolutely hilarious to me that we're all sitting here discussing the merits of a five year gap.

Archived