Avengers Endgame- SPOILERS

ants

3 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Enter Galactus :devil:

I was actually just thinking, I wonder if (in the main universe) they'll use the absence of the stones to justify/create Galactus? I'm not sure it'll work because really Galactus should be an ancient and persistent threat, but if his thing is that he has to feed to keep the universe in balance, and the stones being gone puts the universe out of balance, they could tie those things together, have his hunger increased or whatever.

Saw it twice today.

There's too much to even comment on - and I'm sure everyone has already done so.

I thought it was pretty much perfection.  I loved everything about it - except Vormir - that place sucks.

• The Marvel Ladies striding into battle with Captain Marvel
  • That GORGEOUS shot of Cap facing Thanos' army on his own
  • "On your left"
  • Cap wielding Mjolnir
  • Thor - all of Thor
  • And all of Rocket too
  • And Scott
  • "Avengers Assemble" - the most awesome thing ever
  • Morgan Stark

It had the weight of 11 years and 21 films to bear and honour - and it totally totally did.

Am I the only one bothered by the way the Soul Stone is being collected? "You have to sacrifice someone you love, Soul for a Soul", I get it. It worked for Thanos and Gamora, it even showed us he actually genuinely loved her. 

But Clint and Nat? Come on. They were close, they shared a history, they were really fond of each other, sure. But love? I don't think so. They didn't love each other, they were just friends. 

And anyway, what would have happened, if the person seeking the Stone appeared on Vormir single handedly? 

Other than that, a great movie and a lot to process. 

It was great but a little too long. What I loved about Infinity War (and right now I feel like that was a better film) was that it was a tight film. Shit happened and kept happening and it all mattered. This one felt like a long goodbye. It was loving, heartwarming AND heart-wrenching but stretched. But I can forgive all that because after all these films and the characters that we've become so invested in, it deserved to spend the time to send them off.

I saw Tony Stark's end a mile away and told my dad on the way to the show I figured he and Cap would die. With that, his death didn't hit me as hard as it might've. But his last real line was so fitting. "I am Iron Man" began the MCU. His character made the MCU. It was a fitting end to a truly great character and performance. 

Hawkeye's cold open DID get to me. That was crushing and I'm glad they finally made a good use to his character. The other scene that really got me was Scott Lang's reunion with his daughter. That would be brutal, to see that you had lost 5 years with your daughter that you can't get back. I think it's even worse than Cooper's scene in Interstellar. In that he knew that it might happen. Poor Scott Lang was destiny's ragdoll. Speaking of that, the rat in his van might be the real hero of the movie. Without that random fortunate event, half the universe wold have remained dead. That was just one of countless things that needed to happen to make Dr. Strange's 1 future happen. But the main thing was Thanos sparing Tony Stark's life.

I think the most shocking thing was how many people came out. The best were Hydra and the Children of Thanos. I read that Robert Redford's scene would be his last in movies as he has now retired. The time heist was an extremely clever way to bring so many people back. 

50 minutes ago, 3CityApache said:

Am I the only one bothered by the way the Soul Stone is being collected? "You have to sacrifice someone you love, Soul for a Soul", I get it. It worked for Thanos and Gamora, it even showed us he actually genuinely loved her. 

But Clint and Nat? Come on. They were close, they shared a history, they were really fond of each other, sure. But love? I don't think so. They didn't love each other, they were just friends. 

Friends can genuinely love each other. Love isn't defined by fucking. 

50 minutes ago, 3CityApache said:

And anyway, what would have happened, if the person seeking the Stone appeared on Vormir single handedly? 

They'd suck it.

49 minutes ago, 3CityApache said:

So you think it’s kinda far fetched for close friends to love each other? Hmmm. I actually think it’s a bigger stretch that Thanos loved Gamora.

37 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Friends can genuinely love each other. Love isn't defined by fucking. 

Who said anything about fucking? I know friendship can form a really powerful bond, but the way I see it, it still just ain't the same as love, that's why it's called friendship, and not love. But ok, maybe it's just me. I couldn't honestly say I love anyone out of these few true friends I'm privileged to have. 

1 hour ago, 3CityApache said:

Are you limiting love to romantic / blood relation love? Is close friends with a fondness for one another not love? Clint's children call Natasha aunty, so they see her as family. I would say I love my closest friends almost as much as I love my wife and kids. If you would cry at their funeral and feel a hollow sense of loss I'd say that's love. I actually thought it was fantastic that the movie made it a loving, platonic non-blood relation as the love sacrifice.

I went to the movie with my comic geek, physics PhD brother and for him the best line in the movie was the Deutsch prescription, since it's an actual thing, and he thought the movie used it reasonably well.

We talked about the screw ups of the timeline with past Thanos being dusted, Nebula killing herself, and past Gamorra being stuck out of her time. But we decided that quantum time was stitching together the timeline as Thanos was sitting waiting to be dusted, it's why his dusting was a little delayed and last to go. The multiverse was resolving the deterministic requirements of the timeline, making sure the original dusting happened etc.

Question: when Cap was putting the stones back (ugh, imagine having to re-inject the aether into Jane, that's just mean). Did he go back to 2012 and stop his NY crew from screwing up with the Tesseract? Or has Loki come back?

Are we going to have a 20 year time jump so Morgan can take on the Iron Man mantle?

Going in I thought Captain Marvel was going to be a major part of the movie, but I'm glad she was more of a cameo appearance. Important, but did not overshadow the original crew, and also a good demonstration of her awesome power. I still stand by my opinion that people should see Captain Marvel before endgame, but it's probably slightly less important than I assumed it would be.

3 hours ago, Mosi Mynn said:

• The Marvel Ladies striding into battle with Captain Marvel
  • That GORGEOUS shot of Cap facing Thanos' army on his own
  • Thor - all of Thor 
  • It had the weight of 11 years and 21 films to bear and honour - and it totally totally did.

1. I thought that was a little heavy handed.

2. It reminded me of Jon from the Battle of the Bastards, except Cap wasn't alone due to a dumb emotional decision.

3. Yep. That first glimpse of him shirtless was great. I told my daughter, your boy Thor is shirtless for a long time in a scene, she's like hell yeah...lol Wait till she sees this!    I also got her to look for her boy Bradley Cooper in Guardians, she was not happy w me.

Saw this today, 3d, eh, didn't have much choice since every damn showing was sold out or just the front row was open. Gonna watch it again next week in "epic" theater to get a better feel for it.

Loved the opening with Hawkeye. Loved the visuals when Tony was in the ship, space looked amazing. The only time the movie felt long was the very end, probably because my bladder was full and I felt like Natasha didn't get a good enough send off.

Did have a few issues which may have been discussed already. Now that Thanos and co. have been snapped out with the stones, can't someone else just do this all over again and bring him back?   Also, when Cap went back and then was there on the bench, did he give up his power? He aged and yet he wasn't scrawny like before he got the powers. When he was dancing with Carter he was taller than her. I thought he didn't age? I am not read up on this so it could just be mo not knowing the details.

Also loved, Thor: ahh  the Asguardians of the Galaxy, thought that was funny as hell.

It lived up to its hype, IMO.... granted, I'm in the tank for all things Marvel but they told a terrific story.... I'm a complete asshole and I still got choked up a few times... 

.... I thought ahead, and didn;t have anything to drink after morning coffee... my middle aged bladder and softball sized prostate were able to hold out...

4 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Question: when Cap was putting the stones back (ugh, imagine having to re-inject the aether into Jane, that's just mean). Did he go back to 2012 and stop his NY crew from screwing up with the Tesseract? Or has Loki come back?

Going in I thought Captain Marvel was going to be a major part of the movie, but I'm glad she was more of a cameo appearance. Important, but did not overshadow the original crew, and also a good demonstration of her awesome power. I still stand by my opinion that people should see Captain Marvel before endgame, but it's probably slightly less important than I assumed it would be.

I think there is a Disney streaming show coming that features Loki, so maybe this was how they made it happen?

I had the same thoughts on Marvel and I am damn glad she wasn't the central character. This was about the characters from the last 20 years, saying goodbye to a lot of them. Wouldn't have felt right if she was starring, to me anyway.

Just now, Martini Sigil said:

It lived up to its hype, IMO.... granted, I'm in the tank for all things Marvel but they told a terrific story.... I'm a complete asshole and I still got choked up a few times... 

.... I thought ahead, and didn;t have anything to drink after morning coffee... my middle aged bladder and softball sized prostate were able to hold out...

Agree 100%, this is what Star Wars should model itself after going forward.

And I also drank nothing, but my damn pop was all soda water and no flavoring so I took a quick pit stop about 30 min in

@Werthead The part where I'm disagreeing with you is regarding TAOs explanation. She says if the stones are removed then an alternate reality will split off and they'll be in trouble without the stone. Banner counters that if they return the stone right after that there is no change and thus no alternate timeline and it will be all fine.

My interpretation is that he's saying it will be ok because nothing major has been changed - returning the stone prevents the new timeline because it was the only major change. Your interpretation is that returning the stone is important because the stone itself is preventing the change.

Both models would have worked if the heist went off without a hitch, but given the plan goes to shit almost immediately after that conversation my reading of the language of cinema is that's the movie saying "well so much for that idea".

Also another big question: Oscar-worthy for best picture? I think it will get a nomination. Still not sure the biz is ready to give spandex action the big prize.

Just thinking, clearing the decks of the 3 leaders in the Avengers (Cap, Stark, Widow) really leaves the field clear for Carol and Fury to take up the leadership mantle. Will Sam Jackson carry on though?

4 minutes ago, karaddin said:

@Werthead The part where I'm disagreeing with you is regarding TAOs explanation. She says if the stones are removed then an alternate reality will split off and they'll be in trouble without the stone. Banner counters that if they return the stone right after that there is no change and thus no alternate timeline and it will be all fine.

My interpretation is that he's saying it will be ok because nothing major has been changed - returning the stone prevents the new timeline because it was the only major change. Your interpretation is that returning the stone is important because the stone itself is preventing the change.

Both models would have worked if the heist went off without a hitch, but given the plan goes to shit almost immediately after that conversation my reading of the language of cinema is that's the movie saying "well so much for that idea".

I think the snappenings hit a "re-ordering" button making sure timelines are corrected to ensure all events lead to the correct present.

I do like how the TAO was stealth kicking arse in NY 2012. But it does raise the question of why she was just pot-shotting the Chitauri from her roof. I guess she didn't want to reveal herself, and she probably knew the Avengers would handle it.

16 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Is there any explanation for why there is no intermission in a film this long?

It would be LONGER and thus limit the number of showings?

45 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Is there any explanation for why there is no intermission in a film this long?

When was the last major movie to have an intermission in theaters? Did Titanic? I know the LOTR movies didn't. I suspect most audiences would just be confused.

Yeah, could you imagine the lines at the bathrooms with most of a theater coming out at once? The place I saw it at had it starting every 10 - 20 minutes, would be a disaster. 

It's a 20 screen theater and there were only two other movies playing in it.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I do like how the TAO was stealth kicking arse in NY 2012. But it does raise the question of why she was just pot-shotting the Chitauri from her roof. I guess she didn't want to reveal herself, and she probably knew the Avengers would handle it.

Yeah I liked this bit too, we never got to see The Ancient One in action but turns out she was there at the Chitauri invasion. Presumably didn't need to reveal herself as she knew how it would turn out (she could see into the future at least until her death, so it seems she would have foreknowledge that the Chitauri invasion was going to turn out fine).

In terms of the Macguffin of the stones being aroudn and anyone being able to pull this off again - I think they tried to wrap it up as nicely as they could. Cap deposits all the Stones back in their original times and places. Assuming the Stones somehow keep time all together, that means that in the present there are now no Stones anymore as they've all been put back in the past.

Someone could time travel backwards to get them again, but the only working time machines they had were destroyed, and Tony Stark (the only one to build a working time machine) has died. Banner, who is just about the biggest megabrain there is, couldn't build a working time machine, so I figure they have tried to close it off narratively as much as they could. Only issue is if they do bring Fantastic Four in, Reed Richards would surely be as smart as (and in the comics, smarter than) Stark.

Archived