Jump to content
Which Tyler

UK Politics: Awaiting MV3

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

So Farage's new best friend, and MEP candidate is Anne Widdecombe.

She who consistently opposes abortion and LGBT rights, opposed the repeal of section 28. Supports the death penalty, and thinks pregnant prisoners should be chained down for medical examinations. Is highly religious, who thinks that blasphemy should be illegal and the ordination of women is sacrilege. However, she does defend homeopathy, but denies climate change, and firmly believes that money spent on saving the planet spwould be better spent on bombing it into submission; atblat time of asking (that I could find) she still supported the invasion of Iraq.

 

Elsewhere, our current health secretary has doubled down on the intentions of the previous (and Farage) in wanting to sell the NHS to insurance companies.

 

And... We're due to welcome the Orange Cockwomble for a state visit, presumably without any chance for seeing the population (carriage down the Map etc), I believe Berrcow still opposes him addressing parliament as well. Personally, I don't mind him coming, provided that Prince Philip is his personal chauffeur, and the whole trip is organised by Chris Grayling - oh, and he's forced to witness the protests.

 

...

 

 

I'm not a fan.

Edited by Which Tyler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

slight nit pic   but have we not already had MV3?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh I assumed the M was for May  not Meaningful.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Pebble said:

Oh I assumed the M was for May  not Meaningful.  

I don't think so, for either version of M.

 

Meaningful had 2 defeats, and wasn't allowed a 3rd - but they've had a holiday now, which might be enough to classify it as a new session.

May lost a non-,binding personal confidence vote, but won the binding Tory infighting one - or are you counting the governmental vote of no confidence? I think that's right anyway, so much has happened in the last 6 months.

Edited by Which Tyler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Ultimatum to cabinet ministers in Huawei leak investigation

Quote

Cabinet members who were at Tuesday’s National Security Council (NSC) have been sent an ultimatum by Whitehall’s most powerful official to confess or deny whether they leaked a controversial decision to allow Chinese telecoms firm Huawei to help build the UK’s 5G phone network.

Cabinet secretary Sir Mark Sedwill is understood to have written to those present and demanded that they tell him immediately whether they were involved, prompting the five prime suspects to scramble to “categorically deny” that they were behind the leak.

Former defence secretary Michael Fallon said Downing Street should call in the police and mount a “a proper Scotland Yard investigation” and Andrew Mitchell, the Tory MP for Sutton Coldfield, told the BBC’s Newsnight that MI5 should be called in.

I really hope it's Jeremy Hunt. If any of these bastards deserves to go to prison, it's him.

Edited by Spockydog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/25/2019 at 5:38 AM, Which Tyler said:

So Farage's new best friend, and MEP candidate is Anne Widdecombe.

She who consistently opposes abortion and LGBT rights, opposed the repeal of section 28. Supports the death penalty, and thinks pregnant prisoners should be chained down for medical examinations. Is highly religious, who thinks that blasphemy should be illegal and the ordination of women is sacrilege. However, she does defend homeopathy, but denies climate change, and firmly believes that money spent on saving the planet spwould be better spent on bombing it into submission; atblat time of asking (that I could find) she still supported the invasion of Iraq.

 

Elsewhere, our current health secretary has doubled down on the intentions of the previous (and Farage) in wanting to sell the NHS to insurance companies.

 

And... We're due to welcome the Orange Cockwomble for a state visit, presumably without any chance for seeing the population (carriage down the Map etc), I believe Berrcow still opposes him addressing parliament as well. Personally, I don't mind him coming, provided that Prince Philip is his personal chauffeur, and the whole trip is organised by Chris Grayling - oh, and he's forced to witness the protests.

 

...

 

 

I'm not a fan.

That's hardly an outlier position even outside the loony fringe. "Could have handled it better" is a common qualification for continuing to support it, but a lot of people still agree with the general idea that it was good policy to go in and remove Saddam from power, just badly executed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was watching Question Time,wow, did not know that Gimli was a hardcore trump supporter, he also has some really daft positions on climate change.He also called Caroline Lucas "Oh woman" while banging his fists on table.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2019 at 10:33 AM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Was watching Question Time,wow, did not know that Gimli was a hardcore trump supporter, he also has some really daft positions on climate change.He also called Caroline Lucas "Oh woman" while banging his fists on table.

 

I only just found out he was Macro, in I Claudius.

He's an even nastier piece of work than his predecessor, as Prefect of the Praetorian Guard, Sejanus, who he has strangled.

When told that it's an unlawful to kill Sejanus' young daughter, as she's a virgin, his reply is simply "make sure she's not a virgin, then."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Social mobility non existent in the UK, surprise surprise (can't link the article for some reason but its on the front of the BBC website).  TM's promise to tackle the 'burning injustice' of social inequality, like everything else she does, have been a massive fucking failure.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Social mobility non existent in the UK, surprise surprise (can't link the article for some reason but its on the front of the BBC website).  TM's promise to tackle the 'burning injustice' of social inequality, like everything else she does, have been a massive fucking failure.

Not a shock. That was a soundbite, nothing more. May is powerless against those in her party and even her government who are quite content with stagnant social mobility. Cameron made token efforts, but didn't have an actual strategy and wasn't willing to contemplate doing what was necessary. 

When was the last time we had improving social mobility in the UK?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mormont said:

Not a shock. That was a soundbite, nothing more. May is powerless against those in her party and even her government who are quite content with stagnant social mobility. Cameron made token efforts, but didn't have an actual strategy and wasn't willing to contemplate doing what was necessary. 

When was the last time we had improving social mobility in the UK?

I doubt any government is content with stagnant social mobility

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mormont said:

When was the last time we had improving social mobility in the UK?

In the aftermath of the Black Death...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

In the aftermath of the Black Death...?

Probably in the 1980's.

Although, you're correct that the Black Death generated massive social mobility.  Real incomes per head doubled between 1350 and 1400, which was enormous for its time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

So what we need to do is follow the anti-vaxers advice and hope for a large scale outbreak of something highly contagious and deadly?

I used to favour the Utopia Solution (highly contagious, and severely limiting human reproduction); but I'm pretty sure that humanity would double down on giving Mother Nature a good kicking on our way out if we simply left the population at its current level in the mean-time.

So yeah, I'm now onboard with Thanos' solution, but 50% reduction is nowhere near enough (should be 90%, and shouldn't be all life, just sentient and domesticated life)

Edited by Which Tyler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×