UK Politics: Awaiting MV3

Which Tyler

21 minutes ago, Zorral said:

The time has come for an outside force to put the UK's affairs in order, since it is a clearly failed state at this point.  Maybe someone from India or from Pakistan, for instance (most def not the US, as we too are failed state, and our track record for success in these matters is 0).

Good one.

The best we can all hope for is that the last few years have exposed the politics we are living with and maybe it was cause a shift to something better. I’m not holding my breath.

12 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

About that...

The old kipper in new clothing, or putting lipstick on right wing pigs.

I have no idea how often I (or anybody else for that matter) need to repeat it. UKIP was and is primarily a cesspool loaded with racists and bigots, and so is NUKIP. Frogface is one of them. You can pretend all you like it was about independence from whatever. But it doesn't make it true. If it makes you feel better that you are voting with racists for racists, because you ignore reality, so be it. But don't expect anybody to give you a pat on the back for it.

"UK independence" feels a bit like the old "state's rights" mantra in the USA for things like opposing civil rights legislation, and other things designed by states to keep minorities down.

14 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

"UK independence" feels a bit like the old "state's rights" mantra in the USA for things like opposing civil rights legislation, and other things designed by states to keep minorities down.

Parallels can certainly be drawn.

The UKIPers talk about independence as a means of "regaining control" of the UK's borders, by which they generally mean preventing immigration from outside the EU (however little that is to do with the EU). Then they talk about freeing the UK from "Brussels bureaucracy" which often means no longer being subject to that pesky EU Human Rights act and the protections it gives everyone.

14 minutes ago, A wilding said:

Parallels can certainly be drawn.

The UKIPers talk about independence as a means of "regaining control" of the UK's borders, by which they generally mean preventing immigration from outside the EU (however little that is to do with the EU). Then they talk about freeing the UK from "Brussels bureaucracy" which often means no longer being subject to that pesky EU Human Rights act and the protections it gives everyone.

HUman rights act? Nah, primarily its about deregulation. So workers and consumers rights and enviromental standards. Of course for the majority of voters it is more about controlling immigration to ensure that Britons will be identified with that healthy milk white skin, that turns red when they get hammered on vacation in Spain.

Anyway, to have our daily dose of Frogface is not a racist.

And how his non-racist party is so much better than OldKip.

In other news.

What do we want. A peoples vote. What do we offer? More fudge. (yes, it's about Labour).

I mean the balls it takes to campaign with the EU elections are your chance to send the Tories a powerful message vote Labour...

I am not sure Labour know what the message is supposed to be, but at least it would be powerful. :bang:

I mean even Wren-Lewis Jeezer's own economic adviser has had enough.

On 5/6/2019 at 12:23 AM, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I keep on banging on about it, because you keep insisting that Leavers did not get a proper party to vote for, because NUKIP was not on the ballot, and is in some mysterious way different from UKIP.

Its truly amazing how unrepresented brexit voters are when both major parties are functionally pro brexit, the disenfranchisement makes the heart weep.

12 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

HUman rights act? Nah, primarily its about deregulation. So workers and consumers rights and enviromental standards. Of course for the majority of voters it is more about controlling immigration to ensure that Britons will be identified with that healthy milk white skin, that turns red when they get hammered on vacation in Spain.

Sigh.

I saw all those Granuiad stories about the Brexit party and it made me chuckle at how scared they clearly are at their popularity. 

Anyway all these stories about a May Corbyn compromise seem pretty empty, Labour still wants a permanent customs union and a referendum, and the Tories are only happy to repackage their original deal and give it a new name. 

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

I saw all those Granuiad stories about the Brexit party and it made me chuckle at how scared they clearly are at their popularity. 

Worth pointing out that the Brexit party aren't actually very popular at all. They're about 14% in national polling, which would secure them as the true heirs to UKIP in that they would win no seats at all at a general election. That 14% appears to be almost entirely disaffected Tory voters, btw.

Are the Brexit party likely to do well at the European elections? Sure. But then, anti-EU parties have done well at those elections for years, because turnout is high among their voters and low among other voters. 

1 hour ago, Which Tyler said:

Yeah it’s funny how that story is framed. The guy was rebuked for calling someone a Nazi, yet it’s written as if he’s the Nazi himself. Standard Guardian journalism.

( not that the guy in question seem particularly nice but it’s a good indication of the press strategy here)

I'll have to tell you, I'm shocked that Solyent follows the UK Politics thread. I mean, just because he's British doesn't mean he belongs in the thread.

What next? Will we find him in the football thread just because he supports Liverpool? 

The mind boggles.

8 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Right. They reporting on it because they are scared of that party's popularity, not because those band of racist biggots does racist stuff.

Anyway.

On 5/5/2019 at 5:07 PM, Heartofice said:

I’m saying that current UKIP doesn’t really seem to stand for anything other than internet trolling and racism where before it was seen as mostly a single issue Brexit party, which is probably why it’s doing so badly. 

Im not denying that both parties have their share of undesirables. 

From those baby steps of self-realization.

Back to full it's the media's fault in less than 24 hours. Was there a record attempt I wasn't aware of?

6 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Yeah it’s funny how that story is framed. The guy was rebuked for calling someone a Nazi, yet it’s written as if he’s the Nazi himself. Standard Guardian journalism.

24 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Right. They reporting on it because they are scared of that party's popularity, not because those band of racist biggots does racist stuff.

Anyway.

From those baby steps of self-realization.

Back to full it's the media's fault in less than 24 hours. Was there a record attempt I wasn't aware of?

Its perfectly possible that I am not supporting or defending anyone from Brexit party or UKIP whilst also noticing that the Guardian , like most news outlets ,is often quite a biased website that has no problem using misleading headlines to tell stories.

On 5/6/2019 at 12:56 PM, Heartofice said:

Not really.

Well, both movements harness deep instincts of xenophobia with a goal of protecting the local elite from oversight.

6 minutes ago, Seli said:

Well, both movements harness deep instincts of xenophobia with a goal of protecting the local elite from oversight.

Which local elite are you referring to? 

One of the goals of Brexit is removing ourselves from an institution that lacks oversight, so pretty much the opposite of what you are saying.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Which local elite are you referring to? 

One of the goals of Brexit is removing ourselves from an institution that lacks oversight, so pretty much the opposite of what you are saying.

The goal of Brexit seems to be to remove the UK from the oversight of EU regulations (such as those against tax avoidance), hell the whole reason Corbyn seems to want Brexit is to be able to nationalize things again without EU regulations intervening. And of course there is the whole sentiment against the European Human Rights Court, which tends to run with the same people who are for leaving the EU. They seem allergic to having judges they can't control point out UK citizens and citizens in the UK actually have rights.

That what party are you thing told me I was a Liberal Democrat!!! And I bashed migrants and everything. 

71% Liberal Democrat

70% Change

68% Plaid (what the hell)

66% Conservative

65% Labour

It was a bit useless though as it also told me I was 59% Sinn Fein. I was least like the SDLP. To be fair I have been giving some thought to voting liberal at the euros ...

edit: interesting, if I turn off the weighting though I come out as DUP ...

18 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Yeah it’s funny how that story is framed.  The guy was rebuked for calling someone a Nazi, yet it’s written as if he’s the Nazi himself. Standard Guardian journalism.

( not that the guy in question seem particularly nice but it’s a good indication of the press strategy here)

16 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I’m not defending anyone, I’m highlighting the Guardians rather obvious agenda with its reporting and sly way of wording things. 

11 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Its perfectly possible that I am not supporting or defending anyone from Brexit party or UKIP whilst also noticing that the Guardian , like most news outlets ,is often quite a biased website that has no problem using misleading headlines to tell stories.

Except of course you seem to be wrong. The headline aligns with the article, and makes no reference to “The guy was rebuked for calling someone a Nazi”. It says he congratulated and supported a UKIO member who had just been ejected from the EU parliament for using Nazi slogans. So it appears you’re mischaracterising their article. 

As to the idea this is being run because the MSM is scared, does that mean you don’t think we should be told when politicians or candidates have declared support for people using nazi slogans?

2 hours ago, ants said:

Except of course you seem to be wrong. The headline aligns with the article, and makes no reference to “The guy was rebuked for calling someone a Nazi”. It says he congratulated and supported a UKIO member who had just been ejected from the EU parliament for using Nazi slogans. So it appears you’re mischaracterising their article. 

As to the idea this is being run because the MSM is scared, does that mean you don’t think we should be told when politicians or candidates have declared support for people using nazi slogans?

Not really, he was ejected for using nazi slogans as a way of describing someone else as a Nazi. Bad taste for sure but not the same as being a Nazi yourself, which is how the Guardian is happy to frame the situation. It’s unsurprising  that people are happy to throw around accusations of racism or being a Nazi with the MSM has little problem in doing the same.

Archived