UK Politics: Awaiting MV3

Which Tyler

Protesters throw milkshake at Ukip MEP hopeful Carl Benjamin

A Ukip MEP candidate being investigated by police for speculating about whether he would rape the MP Jess Phillips has become the latest rightwing activist to be targeted with a milkshake.

A fight broke out in Truro, Cornwall, on Friday after two protesters tried to throw the drink over Carl Benjamin, known online as Sargon of Akkad, while he was canvassing for European elections. Protesters also threw fish at him.

First Yaxley-Lennon, now this wanker. Throwing milkshakes at Nazis is the new punching Nazis in the face. 

2 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Protesters throw milkshake at Ukip MEP hopeful Carl Benjamin

First Yaxley-Lennon, now this wanker. Throwing milkshakes at Nazis is the new punching Nazis in the face. 

I think Sargon is a bit of bellend and Robinson is scum, but if we are ok with milkshakes being thrown over any politician then I guess that’s the world we live in. Are we ok with things being thrown at Vince Cable or Corbyn or Barnier?

6 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I think Sargon is a bit of bellend and Robinson is scum, but if we are ok with milkshakes being thrown over any politician then I guess that’s the world we live in. Are we ok with things being thrown at Vince Cable or Corbyn or Barnier?

On the day Jeremy Corbyn begins spouting hate I'll be heading down to Islington by way of McDonalds...

On 5/10/2019 at 3:18 AM, Heartofice said:

Well from what you are saying it seems you genuinely believe this is what he has done. So he wants to sabotage his career and life for the sake of a weak twitter joke? 

So someone is dumb, or reckless enough to do/say something bigoted on the internet? Absurd! No public figure has never intentionally done any thing that might hurt their career or fail to see the actual consequences for their words. Sarcasm.

You keep using this defense when someone is found to do something inarguably bigoted  and disgusting-that they couldn’t have meant to be egregiously bigoted, because they might face some consequences for it.

On 5/10/2019 at 4:03 AM, Heartofice said:

I agree there are degrees and the punishment should fit the crime. An honest mistake, where someone has inadvertently said or done something that could be taken in a way other than intended should be treated with an appropriate punishment. 

I don’t think we are there as a society however , the urge to take everything in the worst possible faith and to delight in the destruction of others is strong.

And this again. “Let’s Assume the person’s blatantly bigoted  action isn’t really bigoted  and act befuddled when people think x action is bigoted” You appear to simply not want any expressed jokes to ever bear any significant possible negative drawbacks.

Its’ so draconian for the multi-millionaire Rosane to not be continuously employed at a network and *gasp* actually looked at as a bad person for saying a black person was half a chimp. Words actually having consequences is so unfair. People should be able to say whatever racist/homophobic/sexist/ things they want free of any worry that people will in any way respond negatively to them.

Why can’t people just assume Baker didn’t mean anything racist when he did something racist? 

Gosh, I haven’t been this upset since Mel Gibson was called an anti-Semite for his anti-Semitic comments.

Seriously though it sounds as if to you the only thing a person needs to do not be justifiably called a bigot for their bigoted words is to simply say they did not intend to be bigoted.  And think saying extremely racist/sexist/homophobic things in public isn’t ever good enough grounds for people to disassociate with someone or not to be associated with someone.

On 5/10/2019 at 12:03 PM, Heartofice said:

An honest mistake, where someone has inadvertently said or done something that could be taken in a way other than intended should be treated with an appropriate punishment.

I'd have more sympathy for this position if Baker's primary defence strategy (claiming that this is something he does all the time) didn't appear to be absolute horseshit.

32 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I think they were expecting much bigger numbers of MP's to leave Labour.  But, in any case, the Lib Dems have now cornered the market as the anti-Brexit party.

By contrast, Farage has got everything right.

4 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Feels surreal we are debating who will be in the Euro parliament when we should be leaving. Surely it’s all irrelevant anyway or is there now just a general acceptance that Brexit is over?

Really? Finally come to your senses? 

16 hours ago, SeanF said:

I think they were expecting much bigger numbers of MP's to leave Labour.  But, in any case, the Lib Dems have now cornered the market as the anti-Brexit party.

By contrast, Farage has got everything right.

The above interview kind of sums it up. Those who dislike him will just dislike him more, his supporters will watch that interview and get riled up at the BBC. As said above, they just want to leave, the point isn’t to be in the EU parliament at all. Treating the vote like it isn’t going to be some enormous two fingers up at the government is missing the point.

10 hours ago, maarsen said:

Really? Finally come to your senses? 

Not sure what you mean. I’ve always suspected that Brexit wouldn’t happen, and it seems that’s closer to the truth now than ever.

It kind of says something, though, that six weeks on from supposed-Brexit day, six weeks into the extension, after six weeks of talks between the two main parties, we're all focused on the usual horse races. Who will 'win' the European elections? When will May resign? Who will replace her?

Whatever happened to - y'know - how the hell do we get out of this mess?

14 minutes ago, mormont said:

It kind of says something, though, that six weeks on from supposed-Brexit day, six weeks into the extension, after six weeks of talks between the two main parties, we're all focused on the usual horse races. Who will 'win' the European elections? When will May resign? Who will replace her?

Whatever happened to - y'know - how the hell do we get out of this mess?

Constructive thinking, where's the fun in that?

On a more serious note, during the campaign season, of course the focus is not working politics, but on campaigning. I know that argument falls apart, when you look at the Tories, who are not really campaigning on this election (presumably the reasoning being, we're getting  battered anyway, this way we can at least claim it down to us not being bothered - very constructive). But anyway, your highlighting a problem for both the British political class, and for the media's obsession.

Archived