UK Politics: Awaiting MV3

Which Tyler

2 hours ago, Blue Roses said:

Glorious!

Ran and Linda are on the 'front page' of the Telegraph website, along with Nigel Farage, both behind the premium content subscription.  

Now that's a pairing I never thought to see. 

What are the chanced of getting a rundown on Ran and Linda for those of us not interested in paying the subs for the Telegraph?

19 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Maybe compare it to the wildly successful ChangeUk gatherings

You say that like anyone in this thread gives a shit about ChangeUK. 

2 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

Oh, and here's the party flexing its immense popularity-

(And in case you were wondering, 99% of the crowd are middle-aged white men.)

And, it's still a better turnout than most parties get.

11 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Which doesn't really mean a great deal, as it's already been established that turn outs will be low, and many many idiots have mistaken this as some sort of referendum indicator. 

Well it seems to mean that the Brexit party has a lot of support right now. Of course polls have a tendency to get it wrong but pretty much all the polls indicate Brexit party doing very well.

29 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Well it seems to mean that the Brexit party has a lot of support right now. Of course polls have a tendency to get it wrong but pretty much all the polls indicate Brexit party doing very well.

I mean, on the one hand, yes. But on the other hand,  comparing to actual results last time out, that 33% seems likely to consist of the 25% support UKIP has dropped plus most of the support the Conservatives have dropped. It would certainly be reasonable to conclude that anti-EU sentiment in Wales is more or less the same as it was in 2014. Which is no shock. 

1 hour ago, Soylent Brown said:

Right, it's popular within this limited context because, as I say, people are idiots and are apparently confused as to what European elections actually are. 

So confused that they make a beeline toward the word Brexit in the party's name without any concern that the party has no policies and can do nothing but lie and stutter when asked about how their goal will affect people. 

And they're apparently unconcerned with the potential money laundering and illegal funding too.   

I'll never not find it funny how the people who want to 'take control of the country back' again are so keen to place their faith in the Russian lapdog party. 

I’m sure Farage is secretly Putin in a mask or something right?

Anyway, yeah the Brexit party vote I’m assuming is really a protest vote against the way Brexit is being handled and reiteration by people who want to leave the EU that they haven’t changed their minds. Policy outside of that is basically irrelevant as we should be leaving and not be involved in the EU parliament anyway. 

So can we take from that poll that only 33% of people are for hard Brexit? That's a long way from a clear majority of people wanting Brexit at any price. For me if this could in any way be seen as a proxy referendum on Brexit, if the Brexit party fails to get anywhere close to 50% it's bad news for the Brexit party and Brexit even if they end up taking the largest number of EU seats. If they end up polling in the low 30% you might as well give up on Brexit all together.

13 hours ago, mormont said:

I mean, on the one hand, yes. But on the other hand,  comparing to actual results last time out, that 33% seems likely to consist of the 25% support UKIP has dropped plus most of the support the Conservatives have dropped. It would certainly be reasonable to conclude that anti-EU sentiment in Wales is more or less the same as it was in 2014. Which is no shock. 

Curious that the UKIP figures weren't included in the results chosen to be highlighted.

2 hours ago, karaddin said:

Curious that the UKIP figures weren't included in the results chosen to be highlighted. 

Yeah, though for clarity that was a choice in the Tweet being quoted, not by HoI. UKIP are last in that poll at 3%, but they're the only party not mentioned specifically and are only 1% behind ChangeUK so that's weird. Maybe BritainElects, like so many other people, don't see the point of UKIP any more?

15 minutes ago, mormont said:

Yeah, though for clarity that was a choice in the Tweet being quoted, not by HoI. UKIP are last in that poll at 3%, but they're the only party not mentioned specifically and are only 1% behind ChangeUK so that's weird. Maybe BritainElects, like so many other people, don't see the point of UKIP any more?

I’m surprised anyone is intending to vote for UKIP. Nobody knows what they stand for, the only news around them has been about the Jess Phillips stuff or Tommy Robinson. I think we can safely disregard UKIP

2 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

They stand for the same thing the Brexit Party does, the only difference is UKIP have stopped bothering to hide their racism and general unpleasantness.

I've no doubt the Brexit Party will get to that stage too, eventually.

Brexit party candidate favoured benefit cuts for single mothers

A candidate for Nigel Farage’s Brexit party in the European elections described majority-black inner cities as being dominated by “a culture of physical violence, selfishness and predatory sex”, it has emerged.

James Bartholomew, a journalist and author who is standing in the south-east region, called black neighbourhoods of US inner cities “a Lord of the Flies culture” where “uncontrolled male adolescent values” are the norm.

Separately, he also argued that the family was threatened by the rising status of women, something he said had gone “too far” in certain places.

Farage not keen on talking about the Russian money that funds his elite, lavish lifestyle.

As much as he wants to ignore the topic, it isn't going away any time soon. Channel 4 News will be a blast tonight.

Archived