UK Politics: Awaiting MV3

Which Tyler

Farage might be able to find a way to successfully argue that he's not racist or xenophobic, but he must surely wonder why he always seems to attract racists and xenophobes to his cause, and they seem to rise to prominence in his movements. If one doesn't introspect on why one attracts flies rather than honey bees then others must conclude that your protestations of being a nectiferous flower rather than a pile of shit would seem to be hollow.

7 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Not growing, they were ever present. Just that this time around they found enough gullible people to support them.

FWIW and at the risk of sounding like a grumpy old man (which is only 50% true; I am not that old). I blame the internet, and (anti-)social media for a lot of the most stupid and outrageous shit happening atm. You know, there used to be a time when every village had one idiot. Which really did not cause much of a problem, as they were pretty isolated and could be easily ignored. Now they are conencted globally, enhanced by facebook (and co) and its stupid algorithms, which create this huge echo chambers and suddenly pop those idiots are into the mainstream; and boosted by trolls and morons around the globe you find enough gullible fools to believe them. Be it Anti-Vaxxers or post-truth politics ala Trump or Brexit. [Grumpy rant ends here]

7 hours ago, Werthead said:

I put it down to the combination of social media and smartphones. Prior to about 2007, there were plenty of morons on the Internet but then numbers were kept in check by access: you needed to buy a computer, buy an Internet connection, physically fire it up, join up on forums etc. It was all a bit laborious for a lot of people.

The global release of Facebook in 2007, paired with the arrival of smartphones shortly afterwards, allowed people to join up with just one (or two, with Twitter) login. People who were bigots or racists or anti-semites or anti-vaxxers or flat Earthers or Holocaust deniers, who never spouted off about such things in real life because they knew they'd be laughed out of the room, then found other like-minded people and came to believe their views were widespread, and that enabled and and emboldened them to take those beliefs in a more mainstream direction. It's all rather depressing and I'm not sure what can be done about it. If people are sharing and saying idiotic stuff that can be disproven by a 5-second Google search and can't even do that, I don't see much hope for making discussion more reasonable.

So the net social effect, to date, of social media+smart phones has been negative. Which means the coporatisation / monetisation of free speech has been bad for the world.

7 hours ago, Werthead said:

It's all rather depressing and I'm not sure what can be done about it. 

The least bad option I see, hold facebook (and all the others) legally accountable. Treat them like a newspaper. If they can't keep their newsfeed accurate make them subject to libel suits. If that multi billion dollar company is too cheap to spend on a team of journalists to work as editors, make them spend more in courts. Also hold them accountable for all the hate speeches spread there. Yes, I know making a company the guardian of free speech/censorships is not ideal. However people treat facebook as a news source, and facebook benefits financially from the undermining of our liberal democracies. This is imho neither acceptable nor sustainable.

This is a timely story, given recent discussions: a UK thinktank which has donated significantly to the Conservative Party and has Tory members and speakers at its even, is being bankrolled by an American Big Tobacco firm which has recommended that the NHS be disbanded and replaced by an American model (which works so well). Dominic Raab and health secretary Matt Hancock both have close ties with the organisation, the latter particularly so.

But the milkshakes are literally the only thing worth buying there.

Anyway. "Police, freeze! You are charged with the illegal sale of dairy products."

@BigFatCoward I bet you have waited all your professional life to say those words, infact I believe this is the only reason you became a copper in the first place.

2 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

But the milkshakes are literally the only thing worth buying there.

Anyway. "Police, freeze! You are charged with the illegal sale of dairy products."

@BigFatCoward I bet you have waited all your professional life to say those words, infact I believe this is the only reason you became a copper in the first place.

As the parent of a child with dairy allergies it would make me surprisingly happy. But I don't do that shit anymore, I have minions for such things. 

It's the only maccy d's product I'd consume rather than chuck at someone. 

On 5/17/2019 at 7:04 PM, Which Tyler said:

If you want real irony, listen to Theresa.

Talks have failed because the Labour party is split on Brexit!

Oh, and it's parliament's fault for not agreeing with her when they were told to.

Hell, it's probably the people's fault for not knowing what Brexit means in Theresa's internal monologue.

She's not wrong, although that's not the only reason they failed, by any means.  Corbyn and May are not far apart on Brexit, but their respective parties won't swallow any deal that would be acceptable to them.

I see polls now give The Brexit Party more support than Labour and Conservatives combined.

Oh, I'm not saying that she's wrong about labour, it's bloody obvious; it's just that hernown party is 3 times worse on that particular issue.

Not even remotely surprised that the labour and conservative numbers have absolutely tanked. They're both doing their best to please as few people as possible, and displease as many as possible (though you could argue that labour are so busy trying to be everything to everyone that they've become nothing for anyone, whilst the conservatives are just engaging in their eternal internecine warfare)

3 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

whilst the conservatives are just engaging in their eternal internecine warfare)

Which war do you mean? Their internal war over Europe is over. The dingbat fraction around Mogg has won that one. The burned and hollowed remains of Ken Clarke don't really make much of a difference in that respect. Their war against reality, yeah, that one is still ongoing. Semi-related to that, their internal war of succession, which has thus far kept May in office, yeah, that is also still going on. That will presumably end after their leadership contest in October. Too lazy to add a spoiler tag, I am gonna spoil anyway. All hail King Boris, Fat of his name.

Just remember how not two months ago a Polish gentleman urged the UK not to waste anymore of the time that has been given to them? That was so cute, it was like watching him begging an ill trained dog not to crap on the carpet, while trying to remember the number of the vet.

You kinda have to feel sorry for Ian Dunt. You can almost hear him banging his head against his desk.

I'm sure there's a joke in here somewhere...

One suspects Farage's week is only going to get worse.

The Electoral Commission is under mounting pressure to launch an investigation into the funding of Nigel Farage’s Brexit party because of concerns that its donation structure could allow foreign interference in British democracy.

While other parties require personal information from donors, the Brexit party allows donations of less than £500 via a PayPal account, which critics said leaves the way open to abuse by foreign donors wishing to influence British elections.

Richard Tice, the Brexit party’s chair and co-founder, said on Monday he did not know whether the PayPal account allowed the party to receive smaller donations in foreign currencies.

“I don’t sit in front of the PayPal account all day, so I don’t know what currencies people are paying in,” he told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme.

Asked several times to rule out receipt of such sums from foreign currencies, Tice did not do so. He said: “We’ve got a PayPal account for people who are paying less than £500. Above that we apply the appropriate Electoral Commission rules.”

Any complaints, he said, came from “jealous Westminster people who are just aghast at how we can capture the mood of the country”.

He should be milkshake'd everywhere he goes, get it to the point where he can't even leave the house without looking like he has been bukkake'd.  Apparently it took 21 mins from arriving in Newcastle to being hit, beat that other cities.

14 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

For the future.

Don't use the vanilla milkshakes for it.

Use the strawberry flavoured ones, the taste is worse, and imagine him running around with that strawberry puke stench on him.

Just saying...

If using chocolate milkshake - aim for the arse

30 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

These people with their McFlurrys at the ready might want to watch out. You could do jail time.. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-london-47691606

Well yeah, in pretty much all countries doing something like this is a form of assault. Technically in a lot of places if you so much as touch another person without their consent you've done something illegal.

Archived