UK Politics: Awaiting MV3

Which Tyler

So when will May resign?

I've just quickly browsed a bit thru the net, and found 3 suggestions.

Tonight, to throw a bone to their loony base and hope to soften the blow they are about to receive in the EU elections.

Friday after the UK has voted or Monday after the results are announced.

But then again, this assumes she actually will resign not be dragged out of number 10 feet first.

18 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

On Brexit: has May effectively trashed the possibility of a referendum by attaching a referendum proposal to her deal, thus forever putting a stink on the idea of future referendums? Or, by actually formally proposing a referendum for the first time, has she actually started normalising the idea so that a referendum of some sort is now more likely?

Picking upon this, what May actually said was that if only parliament will pass her deal unchanged, then she will at some time in the future allow another parliamentary vote as to whether it should be confirmed by a referendum. Except that:

• She has little power to enable and no power to prevent parliament holding such a "referendum to confirm the deal" vote.
  • By her own departure timetable she will in any case no longer be PM when the time comes to decide whether to have such a vote.

Just now, A wilding said:

Picking upon this, what May actually said was that if only parliament will pass her deal unchanged, then she will at some time in the future allow another parliamentary vote as to whether it should be confirmed by a referendum. Except that:

• She has little power to enable and no power to prevent parliament holding such a "referendum to confirm the deal" vote.
  • By her own departure timetable she will in any case no longer be PM when the time comes to decide whether to have such a vote.

Which is in line what she offered Labour as big concessions.

A whole lot of nothing, which was already too much for her own backbench. It's really quite funny, when you look at that spectacle from the outside.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48366977

But Laura Kuenssberg says the PM has declined to meet the ministers - who are both seen as possible contenders to be the next Conservative leader - and she has left Downing Street to see the Queen for her weekly meeting.”

Sounds almost like her version of going to the Winchester for a pint and waiting for all this blow over.

Some of the press reporting that - bizarrely - May might be holding on to power until at least next week so she can beat Gordon Brown's time in office and thus avoid being the shortest-serving Prime Minister this century (so far).

By avoiding a big confrontation tonight, the Tory backbenchers will either have to change the rules and hold a vote tomorrow - but a lot of MPs won't be in town for it - or hold off potentially until 4 June after recess.

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

I love that the article specifies the variety of milkshake he was doused with.

I will only believe that May will resign when she actually does. I expect her to cling on to Downing Street until the bitter end

So where do you go from here? Brexit dies with a whimper in a haze of inaction; Brexit dies with a brave determined act by some courageous people who cancel the process since the whole venture was brought about through acts of bad faith and criminality; Brexit happens by default in a manner that the vast majority of people and MPs don't want?

Is there much hope of a Brexit with a broadly agreed and accepted deal? It seems like the EU and UK are so far apart on what constitutes an acceptable negotiated deal that a pre-Brexit deal won't ever happen, and that what may happen is a chaotic exit, and then several years of negotiations to establish the UK's relationship with the EU on a new footing, once everyone has seen exactly how bad, or good (unlikely) things are with no comprehensive relationship agreement in place.

1 minute ago, The Anti-Targ said:

So where do you go from here? Brexit dies with a whimper in a haze of inaction; Brexit dies with a brave determined act by some courageous people who cancel the process since the whole venture was brought about through acts of bad faith and criminality; Brexit happens by default in a manner that the vast majority of people and MPs don't want?

Is there much hope of a Brexit with a broadly agreed and accepted deal? It seems like the EU and UK are so far apart on what constitutes an acceptable negotiated deal that a pre-Brexit deal won't ever happen, and that what may happen is a chaotic exit, and then several years of negotiations to establish the UK's relationship with the EU on a new footing, once everyone has seen exactly how bad, or good (unlikely) things are with no comprehensive relationship agreement in place.

Oddly, May, Corbyn, and the EU are not far apart.

But, their parties feel very differently. Most of Labour want to revoke Brexit, most Conservatives want No Deal Brexit, and everyone is treating tomorrow's vote as a glorified opinion poll.

I’m in the East Midlands and I was planning on voting Lib Dem, but having looked at the polls and the link posted above I’m wondering if I’d be better off voting Green in the hope that they’ll get the 5th seat. However I think the chances of Green getting enough votes are still quite remote and I might just be better off reinforcing the Lib Dem vote. I just don’t know.

I'm Eastern,   https://www.remainvoter.com/ suggested I should vote Green to secure he 2nd remain spot.  the link posted above says I should vote Libdem.   

I've been sure for a long time I would be voting one of those 2, but I just don't know which one would be best.

I'm currently torn on whether to vote green or lib dem. Green already have a seat in my region, but lib Dems have recently polled better. I'm worried that the explicitly pro-eu vote here is going to be split.

Archived