Which Tyler

UK Politics: Awaiting MV3

Baker claiming he didn't know which princess was having a baby that day. Is there more than one British princess having a baby this month?

Is Baker known to be an anti-Royal UK republican in general? I can understand a general approach of frequently posting images of royals as bludging monkeys. But if this isn't part of a pattern of posting royals = monkeys I can't see any kind of credible defense, except for his apologists.

10 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Is Baker known to be an anti-Royal UK republican in general? 

No. But he is an avid supporter of a football team whose fans regularly engage in monkey chants during games. Plus, he's lived in this country for sixty odd years. He knows what he did was racist.

And shame on James O'Brien for giving him the benefit of the doubt.

3 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

The tweet is from a dipshit mocking the situation in an attempt to provoke a reaction, which judging from his timeline is something as important to him as oxygen. It offers nothing useful as far as discussion of the Baker situation goes - he has no interest in defending Baker, he's defending casual racism.

I'm getting some deja vu like I've seen this sort of behavior before, can't imagine where from though. Can you?

6 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Baker claiming he didn't know which princess was having a baby that day. Is there more than one British princess having a baby this month?

Is Baker known to be an anti-Royal UK republican in general? I can understand a general approach of frequently posting images of royals as bludging monkeys. But if this isn't part of a pattern of posting royals = monkeys I can't see any kind of credible defense, except for his apologists.

He frequently posts pictures of posh people as monkeys so it’s pretty consistent with that behaviour. 

However, my guess is that he posted it deliberately because he hated having a career and a life and wanted to throw it all down the toilet and be ruined. 

Baker's behaviour was so stupid that me may even be telling the truth. But, really, you'd have to brain dead not to realise that posting monkey images in relation to Meghan Markle is deeply racist.

Posted (edited)

The fact that he took it down as soon as someone said it was racist makes me think he may be telling the truth, especially if there is evidence of him historically suggesting rich, privileged fuckers are chimp like.  Even moreso as if it was a conscious decision, he had to know he was getting sacked in about 5 seconds. 

I think its bizarre that people assume he must have known just because they know, that's not how things work. 

Has he got any history of this sort of thing (racism, not stupidity)? 

Edited by BigFatCoward

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

He frequently posts pictures of posh people as monkeys so it’s pretty consistent with that behaviour. 

Does he? I've not seen anyone say that before. 

But regardless, for me what sealed the deal was his non-apology. It was yet another classic example of someone defending themselves and claiming it was an apology. That's not what an apology is. 

7 minutes ago, mormont said:

Does he? I've not seen anyone say that before. 

It was mentioned numerous times in the article I posted and also on the news.

43 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

It was mentioned numerous times in the article I posted and also on the news.

I challenge you to present evidence of this phenomenon. It might have been mentioned in the news, but I've just scrolled through his twitter and didn't see any monkeys. Google has nothing either.

His username is prodnose. Have at it.

Eh, I'm prepared to believe that he's done it before. But that makes him guilty of, not intentional racism, but posting the pic in complete obliviousness of something that in his position he really should have known: and obliviousness to racism that apparent is racism too, in that it is an example of racial insensitivity. 

And, see earlier remarks about his non-apologies. There's just too much of what he's said since that tries to downplay the incident, or his culpability, or to cast himself as the victim. 

8 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

I challenge you to present evidence of this phenomenon. It might have been mentioned in the news, but I've just scrolled through his twitter and didn't see any monkeys. Google has nothing either.

His username is prodnose. Have at it.

There is a huge amount of talking about it being a thing, I cant find any evidence if it actually being a thing. He himself said it's his go to picture when posh people have a baby, should be easy for him to prove. 

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, mormont said:

Eh, I'm prepared to believe that he's done it before.

He may have, but HoI claimed that this is something he frequently does. I cannot see any evidence that he's even done it once. Also, I'm sure Baker's mates in the tabloids would have dug up some of these images to accompany their stories about his sacking.

Edited by Spockydog

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

There is a huge amount of talking about it being a thing, I cant find any evidence if it actually being a thing. He himself said it's his go to picture when posh people have a baby, should be easy for him to prove. 

Exactly. Where are all these posts? Looking forward to seeing a copy of the monkey in a suit he posted when Kate had her lizardlings.

Edited by Spockydog

Posted (edited)

I would have thought the most obvious thing here is that he did something very stupid without thinking about the wider consequences. He hadn’t considered the racial element because I assume he’s not a racist and doesn’t think in those terms. All the evidence points to that from what I can see.

Of course there is the possibility that he is a massive racist and wanted to expose himself by tweeting something horrendous and offensive. But I don’t see any logical person coming to that conclusion. It makes zero sense.

This is a bit like that Benetton ad with the kid in the jumper. Another case where most reasonable people would assume it was an honest mistake, but that the loudest voices of outrage culture liked to jump to the worst possible conclusions to satisfy their own bloodlust.

Edited by Heartofice

I'm willing to believe Baker is just stupid
However when it was pointed out to him, why not sincerely apologise?
Instead his apology was a sort of 'you guys are all diseased' and 'that's that' - umm no, that's not how to sincerely apologize for being profoundly stupid. So tired to this inability to apologize thing.

2 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

He hadn’t considered the racial element

This is not a defence; it is the offence. 

2 minutes ago, mormont said:

This is not a defence; it is the offence. 

Not thinking like a racist makes people racist then? Sure.

I would have thought the most obvious thing here is that he did something very stupid without thinking about the wider consequences. He hadn’t considered the racial element because I assume he’s not a racist and doesn’t think in those terms. All the evidence points to that from what I can see.

This is absolute bollocks. I do not buy, for one second, that Baker is unaware of the racial connotations of comparing a mixed-race child to a chimpanzee. No fucking way. The guy has been a journalist for decades. He supports a notorious football team supported by thugs and racists, who regularly engage in monkey chanting.

In order to get that image, he's had to google for a monkey in a suit. Do you seriously believe he is unaware that Meghan is black? It's been all over the tabloids for years.

As someone who really doesn't hate celebrity culture - whether royalty or otherwise; I am prepared to believe that Baker didn't know who's royal baby it was (I had managed to know, but I didn't consciously know about Megan's heritage - though I did remember when the story broke). But then, I'm also not a public figure, who's job includes listening to headlines on the hour every hour, and being a part of celebrity culture.

If he had many examples of him posting the same or similar pictures at similar occassions; then I'd give him the benefit of the doubt personally; whilst still supporting the BBC in firing him.

Because, even if you're not racist, if you do a racist thing, there will be a price to play.

His non-apology, and distinct lack of any evidence that he's made similar posts many times before make me dubous about it; and I suspect that it was a stupid, unthinking move, that speaks to his private thought process which he knows better than to publicise.

I'm not going to hound him for it, but he absolutely deserves to lose his job and be the centre of a media circus for a few days.

Not thinking like a racist makes people racist then? Sure.

Still waiting for a link to one of Baker's previous posts of posh person as monkey.