Aegon, Warden of the North

Just now, SansaJonRule said:

Yes, I get that, but say the Wildlings want to make a mass invasion of Westeros. They couldn't all climb over it. They would have to pass through the mountains on the west or the sail around the other end on the east. Same thing with the WW. They can't pass through it over because of the magic imbued in it, but that magic doesn't extend into the sea or the mountains. If there was NO danger of WW getting around the wall, why does the NW keep a look out for them? Three blasts of the horn for WW, remember?

It extends upward, because according to I think it was Fire and Blood, Rhaenys tried to fly her dragon over the Wall, and it couldn't. So that it would extend around the globe is not unlikely.

Tradition. The white walkers hadn't been around for thousands of years.

2 hours ago, longest night said:

It extends upward, because according to I think it was Fire and Blood, Rhaenys tried to fly her dragon over the Wall, and it couldn't. So that it would extend around the globe is not unlikely.

Tradition. The white walkers hadn't been around for thousands of years.

Danny managed it just fine, what changed?

6 hours ago, SansaJonRule said:

No, I don't think he manipulated her. He won her over.

Dany made it sound like she's only here for Jon which is like...the dumbest thing ever. a) why would Jon love someone like that, b)That's not really winning her over if she's only there for him. He probably saw how he could use her interest in him to his advantage.

2 hours ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

Dany made it sound like she's only here for Jon which is like...the dumbest thing ever. a) why would Jon love someone like that, b)That's not really winning her over if she's only there for him. He probably saw how he could use her interest in him to his advantage.

a) If you can't make this conclusion yourself, then I'm not sure there's any point in trying to explain it either. S7 literally bombed us with moments where they showed us the similarities between them, and why they'd find each other interesting. 

b) You're giving Jon too much credit. Show-Jon has never been seen as a master-manipulator. Quite the opposite in fact; he continuously does "dumb" stuff because it's the right thing to do. If he can't even lie to Cersei, there's no way he'd be able to manipulate Daenerys. Telling Daenerys about his parentage right before the battle is the least manipulative thing he could've done. 

12 hours ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

Dany made it sound like she's only here for Jon which is like...the dumbest thing ever. a) why would Jon love someone like that, b)That's not really winning her over if she's only there for him.

Yes, it was dumb. But I interpreted it as Dany's way of making Sansa more trusting of her and dissuade Sansa of the the notion that Jon is so blindly in love that Dany can manipulate him. I always believed Dany finally saw the necessity of defeating the AotD before taking the IT because otherwise, there'd be nothing left for her to rule. Perhaps I'm giving her too much credit although I'm not a fan of Dany.

He probably saw how he could use her interest in him to his advantage.  I don't think so. I agree with MinscS2. I think he is truly infatuated with her, and perhaps thinks he's in love with her.

14 hours ago, longest night said:

So that it would extend around the globe is not unlikely.

You're referring to the magic that prevents the dead from passing through it I assume. As far as I know, there isn't any indication that the magic of the CotF extends beyond Westeros.

14 hours ago, longest night said:

It extends upward, because according to I think it was Fire and Blood, Rhaenys tried to fly her dragon over the Wall, and it couldn't.

12 hours ago, King Tam Stark said:

Danny managed it just fine, what changed?

Book vs. show, I guess. I haven't read any of the accompaniment books to the series.

3 hours ago, SansaJonRule said:

Yes, it was dumb. But I interpreted it as Dany's way of making Sansa more trusting of her and dissuade Sansa of the the notion that Jon is so blindly in love that Dany can manipulate him. I always believed Dany finally saw the necessity of defeating the AotD before taking the IT because otherwise, there'd be nothing left for her to rule. Perhaps I'm giving her too much credit although I'm not a fan of Dany.

He probably saw how he could use her interest in him to his advantage.  I don't think so. I agree with MinscS2. I think he is truly infatuated with her, and perhaps thinks he's in love with her.

I also think that you guys are not giving Daenerys credit.

It is neither fair, right or sensible to say -- or suggest -- that Daenerys only cares about the AotD (army of the dead to any newbies or lurkers) because they are a threat to her claim to the Iron Throne.

Are we also forgetting that Daenerys is a deeply compassionate and very generous person? Maybe Daenerys wants to defeat the Night King and the army of the dead because she cares about people.

8 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Are we also forgetting that Daenerys is a deeply compassionate and very generous person? Maybe Daenerys wants to defeat the Night King and the army of the dead because she cares about people.

I didn't mean to imply that I think she doesn't care about people. Just that the NK needed to be dealt with first cuz if he isn't, nothing else matters.

I have to say, however, that for the most part her compassion seems to be buried very deep these days.

Archived