A theory about the Night King

I just thought of a theory/question.  Since the Night King was created by plunging dragon glass into his heart, will it have the same effect on him.  As far as we know, he is the only one that was created that way, all the other White Walkers are Sons of Craster (that we know of).  Maybe the only thing that can Kill the Night King is Valayrian Steel.

8 hours ago, TheValonqarThatWasAzorAhai said:

ill it have the same effect on him

That's a good question. I expect not. This will be a surprise to our fighter, though. Arya already asked about dragon fire and we don't know the answer.

8 hours ago, TheValonqarThatWasAzorAhai said:

Maybe the only thing that can Kill the Night King is Valayrian Steel.

Maybe, maybe not.

Maybe the Nightking can only be killed with Lightbringer, the special sword.

4 hours ago, Kajjo said:

I kinda hope Lightbringer won't be a literal sword since that'd feel a little too literal.

13 hours ago, TheValonqarThatWasAzorAhai said:

Maybe the only thing that can Kill the Night King is Valayrian Steel.

Or maybe the only way to kill him is to remove the dragonglass from him. I've seen that theory floating around, too.

7 hours ago, Faera said:

I kinda hope Lightbringer won't be a literal sword since that'd feel a little too literal.

I am open to both options, literal or figurative.

7 hours ago, Faera said:

Or maybe the only way to kill him is to remove the dragonglass from him. I've seen that theory floating around, too.

Hm, seems difficult to remove the glass from him... that's too much fan theory, I am afraid.

But maybe Bran and the Nightking find some agreement of mutual neutralization or something like that.

I suspect Theon might be stabbed and start turning into a WW, but to avoid dying when the NK is killed Bran tells him or Jon how to stop the process with dragonglass to the heart. Theon is saved, NK defeated, so Theon doesn't die like the others he turned, but Theon is not sort of an ice wight. Could become a guardian of Winterfell, forever, maybe like other weirdo-Starks from the old days, in the crypts?

"Everything you did brought you where you are now... where you belong... home." Could be about Theon afterwards.

16 hours ago, Kajjo said:

The NightKing will be killed probably by Dany, riding Drogon who will breathe fire (Lightbringer) over it.  This will probably happen in Episode 5 or 6 this season, at King's Landing.

My hunch is the attack on Winterfell is a feint; they will send white walkers through the crypts to attack from within, and the characters there will be forced to fight their way out and eventually burn Winterfell, thinking they have destroyed all the white walkers.

But the main force of white walkers, with the Night King and Viserion, are probably further west and well on their way south to King's Landing.

They were probably well south of the Twins when Theon was on his way back to Winterfell.

It's too easy to beat the white walkers now...especially considering the armies of westeros are severely depleted, as well as the food supply being burnt thanks to the War of Five Kings.

4 hours ago, SerDerrick said:

who will breathe fire (Lightbringer) over it.

Dragon fire as Lightbringer is really, really far-fetched.

4 hours ago, SerDerrick said:

they will send white walkers through the crypts to attack from within,

How should the White Walkers know of any secret passages? This is not reasonable and will not happen.

Raised corpses of the Starks could be a problem inside the crypts, and of course raised dead of people that died during this fight. Your own people turn against you as soon as they are dead.

7 hours ago, SerDerrick said:

But the main force of white walkers, with the Night King and Viserion, are probably further west and well on their way south to King's Landing.

West of Winterfell? 
That would bring the WW's to Deepwood Motte/Torrhens Square/Barrowton. If they kept following the direction of south-west (as you suggest now), they would end up in Lannisport/Casterly Rock, not Kingslanding, which is on the eastern shores of Westeros....

7 hours ago, Kajjo said:

Dragon fire as Lightbringer is really, really far-fetched.

I don't know if I would say its really really far-fetched.

In order for Azor Ahai to make Lightbringer, he had to thrust the sword into Nissa Nissa's heart. This combined  her soul with the sword. Now Dany Killed Drogo and burnt his body with the dragon eggs which hatched the eggs. One of the dragons is named Drogon after Drogo. You can say its a metaphor for his soul moving to the dragon. So Drogon could be Lightbringer.

17 hours ago, NonoNono said:

I suspect Theon might be stabbed and start turning into a WW, but to avoid dying when the NK is killed Bran tells him or Jon how to stop the process with dragonglass to the heart. Theon is saved, NK defeated, so Theon doesn't die like the others he turned, but Theon is not sort of an ice wight. Could become a guardian of Winterfell, forever, maybe like other weirdo-Starks from the old days, in the crypts?

"Everything you did brought you where you are now... where you belong... home." Could be about Theon afterwards.

You mean Theon starts turning into a wight, not a WW right? Basically what happened to Benjen Stark. The only problem  I see with this, is there's no Children of the forest around to do it. The Childrens magic plus the dragonglass  both helped create the NK and stop Benjen from being a wight. Without whatever magic the Children used, I think the dragonglass to the heart won't work on it own.

7 hours ago, Daemon The Black Dragon said:

You mean Theon starts turning into a wight, not a WW right? Basically what happened to Benjen Stark. The only problem  I see with this, is there's no Children of the forest around to do it. The Childrens magic plus the dragonglass  both helped create the NK and stop Benjen from being a wight. Without whatever magic the Children used, I think the dragonglass to the heart won't work on it own.

But Bran knows how to do it, since Benjen told him, and they will be together. If Theon is starting to turn into a wight (yes not a WW) then Jon might not want to kill the NK for fear Theon would die, and Bran tells him how to save him. Something like that.

Oh another reason for me to think Theon goes through this! "What is dead may never die but rises again harder and stronger."

8 hours ago, NonoNono said:

But Bran knows how to do it, since Benjen told him, and they will be together. If Theon is starting to turn into a wight (yes not a WW) then Jon might not want to kill the NK for fear Theon would die, and Bran tells him how to save him. Something like that.

Oh another reason for me to think Theon goes through this! "What is dead may never die but rises again harder and stronger."

So Benjen 2.0? Sure, I'll go along with that.

Either way, I agree that Bran is talking to Theon so at the very least they'll have a "moment" next episode.

If we stitch together many ideas from free floating spoilers, then it seems that Jon, on Rhaegal, is fighting the NK.  The dragon is injured and falls to the ground.  Jon crawls out from under the dragon, and armed with Long Claw, begins to fight the NK, on the ground.  The NK is building an edge when Mel appears and uses her magic to give Jon time to retreat.  I wonder if Mel acts as NissaNissa and Jon's sword is changed.  It is possible that Jon may not realize the sword change in his retreat and Mel dies in this episode.  

Just now, lakin1013 said:

If we stitch together many ideas from free floating spoilers, then it seems that Jon, on Rhaegal, is fighting the NK.  The dragon is injured and falls to the ground.  Jon crawls out from under the dragon, and armed with Long Claw, begins to fight the NK, on the ground.  The NK is building an edge when Mel appears and uses her magic to give Jon time to retreat.  I wonder if Mel acts as NissaNissa and Jon's sword is changed.  It is possible that Jon may not realize the sword change in his retreat and Mel dies in this episode.  

Interesting thought. We will see.

13 hours ago, NonoNono said:

Without the Children and their magic, I don't think it would work. Bran knowing how the children stopped the WW magic from turning Benjen and actually doing it are 2 different things. 

15 minutes ago, Daemon The Black Dragon said:

Without the Children and their magic, I don't think it would work. Bran knowing how the children stopped the WW magic from turning Benjen and actually doing it are 2 different things. 

I don't know, I just thought it was as simple as being stabbed in the heart with dragonglass, but you might be right, could be too simple. Especially if making a NK was a simple as doing that, any nutcase could have turned into one once they knew how lol.

Do the white walkers speak a common language with the living? How else did Crastor make a treaty with the white walkers allowing them to take the new born boys. And if the white walkers are able to make truce. Maybe they are more organized as a civilization thank we think they are. And perhaps they are not just some savages out to kill the living. They have some kind of purpose.

Archived