A theory about the Night King

On 4/25/2019 at 11:26 PM, SerDerrick said:

The NightKing will be killed probably by Dany, riding Drogon who will breathe fire (Lightbringer) over it.  This will probably happen in Episode 5 or 6 this season, at King's Landing.

My hunch is the attack on Winterfell is a feint; they will send white walkers through the crypts to attack from within, and the characters there will be forced to fight their way out and eventually burn Winterfell, thinking they have destroyed all the white walkers.

But the main force of white walkers, with the Night King and Viserion, are probably further west and well on their way south to King's Landing.

They were probably well south of the Twins when Theon was on his way back to Winterfell.

It's too easy to beat the white walkers now...especially considering the armies of westeros are severely depleted, as well as the food supply being burnt thanks to the War of Five Kings.

How does the NK know Kings Landing even exists? The last night was thousands of years ago and KL wasn't built yet, so how can he know? He shouldn't know pretty much ANY castle exist since they were built after the long night. If he did fly south to some place he doesn't know is there they will have to explain it.

We know he can't be killed by fire, as he walked through a ring of it when BR's cave was attacked, and in Ep 2, it was established that no one knew whether or not dragon fire could kill him.  I have a feeling it's going to be a little more complicated ... perhaps the NK's living or dying is connected to another character's living or dying?  I hope that doesn't mean Jon ...  

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 6:13 PM, Kajjo said:

How should the White Walkers know of any secret passages? This is not reasonable and will not happen.

Of course it's reasonable. Every castle has emergency bolt-holes...the Night King has been around for thousands of years, and is in Brans head. There's every chance he knows Winterfell better than any current Stark does.

7 hours ago, lostinwesteros said:

We know he can't be killed by fire, as he walked through a ring of it when BR's cave was attacked, and in Ep 2, it was established that no one knew whether or not dragon fire could kill him.  I have a feeling it's going to be a little more complicated ... perhaps the NK's living or dying is connected to another character's living or dying?  I hope that doesn't mean Jon ...  

Not quite - he caused the fire to dissipate before he could walk through it.

10 hours ago, lostinwesteros said:

I wonder if they have to remove the dragonglass from his heart, before he can be killed? Then someone would have to get in close to pull it out (or Arya can somehow use her spear to push it out from behind).

1 hour ago, willowbark said:

I wonder if they have to remove the dragonglass from his heart, before he can be killed? Then someone would have to get in close to pull it out (or Arya can somehow use her spear to push it out from behind).

That connection between dragon glass creating NK and the fact that it can also be used to kill the Others is a conundrum, complicated for me when we discovered the Children had also used dragon glass to prevent Benjen from completing the 'turn' into wight.  But somehow I think destroying the NK is going to involve something much more than dragon glass, however it might be handled.  

What that is, I have NO idea - I have read the theories on youtube, looked in forum threads, and it's still a huge mystery to me.  One of the things I've wondered is whether the Children - if there are any left at this point - might have a vital role to play, though if they'd been able to single-handedly 'undo' the NK, they'd have done it before.  BUT ... someone pointed out to me that the Isle of Faces is now featured in the opening credits!!!  I just think there must be a powerful connection there and that perhaps that will even be the place where the NK is defeated.

4 hours ago, Skoboe said:

Not quite - he caused the fire to dissipate before he could walk through it.

Right - my thinking is that the fire has no power over him, since he is easily able to 'extinguish' it.  

That was the circle of fire that Leaf caused, though, and as was said in 8.2,  we don't know what dragon fire might do.  However, I'm thinking that in Hardhome we also saw that fire had no effect on the Walkers - the Walker 'Lieutenant', or whatever his designation would be, that came into the hut that was burning (the one that Jon eventually killed with Longclaw), was not effected by the fire.  Of course, what will 'work' or not with another Walker might not be at all sufficient for the NK himself.  This business of destroying the NK is one aspect of the final season that has me totally clueless!

39 minutes ago, lostinwesteros said:

That connection between dragon glass creating NK and the fact that it can also be used to kill the Others is a conundrum, complicated for me when we discovered the Children had also used dragon glass to prevent Benjen from completing the 'turn' into wight.  But somehow I think destroying the NK is going to involve something much more than dragon glass, however it might be handled.  

What that is, I have NO idea - I have read the theories on youtube, looked in forum threads, and it's still a huge mystery to me.  One of the things I've wondered is whether the Children - if there are any left at this point - might have a vital role to play, though if they'd been able to single-handedly 'undo' the NK, they'd have done it before.  BUT ... someone pointed out to me that the Isle of Faces is now featured in the opening credits!!!  I just think there must be a powerful connection there and that perhaps that will even be the place where the NK is defeated.

Really, I haven’t seen it.  Do you have proof?

17 hours ago, dbunting said:

How does the NK know Kings Landing even exists? The last night was thousands of years ago and KL wasn't built yet, so how can he know? He shouldn't know pretty much ANY castle exist since they were built after the long night. If he did fly south to some place he doesn't know is there they will have to explain it.

I'm assuming The NK uses the weirwoods similarly to Bran. Hell the NK was ready for the dragons north of the wall when Dany flew up there him and all his generals had spears.....waiting. Even if not the NK is controlling the undead he can probably see through all of them and they brought a wight south to KL to show to Cersei guarantee the NK was watching through it's eyes as they were all talking down there at the end of S7

1 hour ago, Adam_Up_Bxtch said:

I'm assuming The NK uses the weirwoods similarly to Bran. Hell the NK was ready for the dragons north of the wall when Dany flew up there him and all his generals had spears.....waiting. Even if not the NK is controlling the undead he can probably see through all of them and they brought a wight south to KL to show to Cersei guarantee the NK was watching through it's eyes as they were all talking down there at the end of S7

Quite a few assumptions here.  :)  They may be correct, but I have doubts.  Especially seeing through the eyes of the wights.

But, if we entertain the assumption that the NK can see through a wights eyes, how does he know where KL is, exactly?  The wight was transported by ship first the Dragonstone, then to KL.  Not overland, which is how the NK would be travelling.

On 4/27/2019 at 10:23 AM, Daemon The Black Dragon said:

Without the Children and their magic, I don't think it would work. Bran knowing how the children stopped the WW magic from turning Benjen and actually doing it are 2 different things. 

:agree:

I am of the same thought.  The magic of the CotF is needed.  And maybe 'special magic' that requires the power or abilities of the Children's mages and/or greenseers.  I doubt that Bran would have such ability.

5 hours ago, TheValonqarThatWasAzorAhai said:

Really, I haven’t seen it.  Do you have proof?

Here's the link to a breakdown of the new opening credits, showing the Isle actually as a peninsula rather than an isle.  Thus connected to the mainland, it could serve to make it easier for the AofD to swarm the isle and destroy all the weirwood trees.  One thought is that the NK could aim for the Isle, the place of his origin, to also destroy any of the Children that might be left there.

I believe the specifics of the Isle of Faces starts at about 4:35 of the 8:16 video.

https://youtu.be/SnoTnPX3Trs

3 hours ago, Tywin Tytosson said:

Quite a few assumptions here.  :)  They may be correct, but I have doubts.  Especially seeing through the eyes of the wights.

But, if we entertain the assumption that the NK can see through a wights eyes, how does he know where KL is, exactly?  The wight was transported by ship first the Dragonstone, then to KL.  Not overland, which is how the NK would be travelling.

If the NK is controlling undead when sometimes he can not see em or what they are doing with his own eyes then it would be safe to assume he sees through their eyes like how Bran can see through the eyes of animals?

5 minutes ago, Adam_Up_Bxtch said:

If the NK is controlling undead when sometimes he can not see em or what they are doing with his own eyes then it would be safe to assume he sees through their eyes like how Bran can see through the eyes of animals?

We don't know if the NK is a warg.   So we cannot say if he can or cannot see through the eyes of a wight.  I assume that he cannot do this.  His control is merely commands to the wights.  I certainly do not believe that he can warg into wights en mass.  The CotF gave him the power to animate the dead (at least the human, giant, horse, and bear dead), not see thru the dead's eyes.

5 hours ago, Adam_Up_Bxtch said:

Lots and lots of assumptions.  Your whole reply is based on assumptions and not anything we have actually seen. 

The wight that went south had a hood over it's head most of the journey and then was in a box for the rest, traveling by ship, so how exactly could that help?  To me the only way is if they say he has a bond with them and can sense their location, and even that would be pretty weak. 

2 hours ago, lostinwesteros said:

Here's the link to a breakdown of the new opening credits, showing the Isle actually as a peninsula rather than an isle.  Thus connected to the mainland, it could serve to make it easier for the AofD to swarm the isle and destroy all the weirwood trees.  One thought is that the NK could aim for the Isle, the place of his origin, to also destroy any of the Children that might be left there.

I believe the specifics of the Isle of Faces starts at about 4:35 of the 8:16 video.

https://youtu.be/SnoTnPX3Trs

Thanks, I guess I missed that one.

5 hours ago, TheValonqarThatWasAzorAhai said:

Thanks, I guess I missed that one.

And then ... for all my forecast, turns out it didn't have anything to do with the NK!  

I still think it'll figure in in an important way, however, else why include it when I believe only book readers have heard of it at this point.  Perhaps the Children who might still be there, and the Green Men, will come to the aid of Dany when the battle reaches KL.  And we know it's full of weirwoods, so perhaps it would be a 'home base' for Bran.  It's not far from Riverrun, and Edmund would be only too happy to aid in fighting Cersei, so perhaps that area will become a stronghold for Dany/Jon, etc.  And after losing all the men that were lost in 8.3 tonight, they'll need all the reinforcements they can get (and a little magic from the Isle of Faces wouldn't hurt).

I haven't seen it discussed anywhere, but I've been wondering about the baby they took. It wasn't dead, so killing the NK wouldn't make it collapse. I'm wondering if it's still alive and will grow up to be the new NK one day, perhaps a final scene will show that?

Archived