Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Varysblackfyre321

Coins, Daggers, and re-reads.

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

It does quite often to be fair.

The modern pub - with an eBook, it's just the best place to get reading done. Lunch time in a quiet corner with a soft drink and a burger - me oh my, it's wonderful! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2019 at 10:20 PM, Astromech said:

The Long Price Quartet is still my fav Abraham series. It was nearly flawless for me.

Resurrecting this thread, primarily because of this: 

Finally finished the third book in the series, An Autumn War, and am into the opening pages of The Price of Spring. 

Someone here on the forum raved about the conclusion to the third book in the series, and damn if they weren't onto something. One scene in particular in the snow involving someone's son actually left me crying when I read it. An Autumn War really does go hard for a variety of emotions, complicated characters, and plot curves. 

It's just so goddamn humblingly good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

Resurrecting this thread, primarily because of this: 

Finally finished the third book in the series, An Autumn War, and am into the opening pages of The Price of Spring. 

Someone here on the forum raved about the conclusion to the third book in the series, and damn if they weren't onto something. One scene in particular in the snow involving someone's son actually left me crying when I read it. An Autumn War really does go hard for a variety of emotions, complicated characters, and plot curves. 

It's just so goddamn humblingly good. 

The series starts out a little slow, but the payoff is tremendous by its conclusion. The series is so so aptly named.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Astromech said:

The series starts out a little slow, but the payoff is tremendous by its conclusion. The series is so so aptly named.

It's wonderful how the thematic through-line of the book shows up in a consistent, logical, even tragic way. But never in an on-the-nose sort of way. It's just ... so goddamn good. And intelligent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

It's wonderful how the thematic through-line of the book shows up in a consistent, logical, even tragic way. But never in an on-the-nose sort of way. It's just ... so goddamn good. And intelligent. 

I'm waiting to read your reactions to the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I imagine you'll like the conclusion.  I thought that book 3 was the best of the series, but book 4 is a close second. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Astromech said:

I'm waiting to read your reactions to the end.

Heh. Give me a few days then. It may only be 200 pages, but this book series demands slow and careful reading! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ahh more rhapsodizing about the long price quartet, did i ever tell y'all how many times i bounced of the first book? lots of times, it was the constant praise on this very forum that made me really gave it a shot, all i can say is thanks all, probably tied with Hobbs Farseer books as my favorite completed multi book series, its sublimely good, and he nailed the ending 10/10.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2019 at 6:46 PM, shortstark said:

Ahh more rhapsodizing about the long price quartet, did i ever tell y'all how many times i bounced of the first book? lots of times, it was the constant praise on this very forum that made me really gave it a shot, all i can say is thanks all, probably tied with Hobbs Farseer books as my favorite completed multi book series, its sublimely good, and he nailed the ending 10/10.. 

I thought the first two books were alright, but books 3 and 4 propelled it to my favorite series ever.  It's rare that the back half of a series is so much better than the first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2019 at 5:46 PM, shortstark said:

Ahh more rhapsodizing about the long price quartet, did i ever tell y'all how many times i bounced of the first book? lots of times, it was the constant praise on this very forum that made me really gave it a shot, all i can say is thanks all, probably tied with Hobbs Farseer books as my favorite completed multi book series, its sublimely good, and he nailed the ending 10/10.. 

I honestly couldn’t get into the series after multiple attempts. I really wanted to but the first book was just so boring. 

Also, near apropos to nothing, anyone else get a godfather feeling from the Kalliam clan?

Like you have a middle brother who turns out to be a traitor after being seduced by his family’s enemies. 

An elder brother, whose more hot-tempered, and more physically imposing than his brothers.

The youngest son after going to war must take up the reigns of the leader of his house after his patriarch and eldest brother are indisposed.

Very broad comparisons I know but I couldn’t help thinking of them when I was doing my re-read of the series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I honestly couldn’t get into the series after multiple attempts. I really wanted to but the first book was just so boring. 

 

This was me, then i met seedless and was hooked. I am always thinking about what Andat i could create. 

Tangent.. Anyone think of the similarities between the Andats and Gnosis sorcery? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shortstark said:

Tangent.. Anyone think of the similarities between the Andats and Gnosis sorcery? 

Have only read the Prince of Nothing trilogy, so am vaguely familiar with it - but do tell! 

On that same note of texts that come to mind from reading TLPQ: the Myst books by Robyn Miller and David Wingrove and the related games - grammar, lexicon, and creation and the power that comes with that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, shortstark said:

This was me, then i met seedless and was hooked. I am always thinking about what Andat i could create. 

Tangent.. Anyone think of the similarities between the Andats and Gnosis sorcery? 

Isnt Seedless early book one though?

i’m another who hasnt been able to get into TLPQ as much as others have. Finished book 2 without being wowed. I will get around to finishing the series eventually but its a low priority for now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Isnt Seedless early book one though?

Uhm, not... uh, not exactly. 

It's...shit dude, I don't want to spoil things, but remember: this is a world where grammar and language make magic. Synonyms have power. And memory remains.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Uhm, not... uh, not exactly. 

It's...shit dude, I don't want to spoil things, but remember: this is a world where grammar and language make magic. Synonyms have power. And memory remains.

 

Yup, same for both gnosis and andats, making something physical from the essential idea of a thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shortstark said:

Yup, same for both gnosis and andats, making something physical from the essential idea of a thing. 

I don't remember that being a major part of the Prince of Nothing trilogy. Is that something that gets explored in more detail in the Second Apocalypse books? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unlike anagogic sorcery the gnosis summons the meaning of the thing itself, to create fire the anagogic sorcerer creates a dragon head for instance and have it breathe fire, the gnostic sorcery does not require this prop, through precise language he can create fire, the essence of fire made physical. This is my limited understanding anyway and its a big part of the books from the prince of nothing trilogy onwards. But we are derailing the thread :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2019 at 9:52 PM, Astromech said:

I'm waiting to read your reactions to the end.

Crying, @Astromech, lots of crying. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Crying, @Astromech, lots of crying. 

Hahaha, it's a perfect ending for the series. The payoff is fantastic.

The only other novels/series with that emotional payoff for me have been Les Miserables and Lonesome Dove. A big kick in the feels.

Edited by Astromech

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×