Who will know about Jon Snow at the end?

Euron III Greyjoy

Presuming R+L=J is correct in the books, who do you think will know about Jon being the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna by the end of ADoS? 

Right now I'm pretty sure Howland Reed is the only person who knows, and at the very least Bran and Jon himself will probably know by the end of TWoW, but will anyone else know? I cant see why Jon would go around telling people since what would be the point, and I feel like if it is Howland that tells him, he wouldn't announce it in front of a bunch of Northerners. If he ends up riding a dragon at some point then I imagine some people who become suspicious at the very least. 

What are your thoughts? 

30 minutes ago, Euron III Greyjoy said:

Presuming R+L=J is correct in the books, who do you think will know about Jon being the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna by the end of ADoS? 

Right now I'm pretty sure Howland Reed is the only person who knows, and at the very least Bran and Jon himself will probably know by the end of TWoW, but will anyone else know? I cant see why Jon would go around telling people since what would be the point, and I feel like if it is Howland that tells him, he wouldn't announce it in front of a bunch of Northerners. If he ends up riding a dragon at some point then I imagine some people who become suspicious at the very least. 

What are your thoughts? 

I feel like Darkstar will be in on all this somehow. No evidence, just a feeling.

1 hour ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

I feel like Darkstar will be in on all this somehow.

59 minutes ago, rotting sea cow said:

Darkstar may know already.

It would be interesting if Darkstar knew. How great would it be if we as the readers found out about Jon's parentage in Areo Hotah's POV of all people. Most people are expecting confirmation from a Jon or Bran POV, so it would be a nice twist. Out of interest how do you think it will get brought up? 

1 hour ago, rotting sea cow said:

Dany, Sansa, Tyrion, Doran, Hotah, Sam, Bran

Unsure about Stannis, Jaime, Varys.

I agree with Daenerys, Sansa, Tyrion, Sam, and Bran. I'd love to see Doran's reaction to Jon, how do you think he's find out? Varys is one of those characters who I wouldn't be surprised if he somehow knew already. I think Jaime's reaction would be the one I'd want to see the most out of all the names listed here. 

11 hours ago, Euron III Greyjoy said:

It would be interesting if Darkstar knew. How great would it be if we as the readers found out about Jon's parentage in Areo Hotah's POV of all people. Most people are expecting confirmation from a Jon or Bran POV, so it would be a nice twist. Out of interest how do you think it will get brought up? 

I don't think that hypothetical scene will be so explicit. More like about the lines:

Doran: what else do you have to report captain?

Hotah: it's about Jon Snow...

I agree with Daenerys, Sansa, Tyrion, Sam, and Bran. I'd love to see Doran's reaction to Jon, how do you think he's find out? 

See above

Varys is one of those characters who I wouldn't be surprised if he somehow knew already. 

Somehow I think he doesn't know

Ithink Jaime's reaction would be the one I'd want to see the most out of all the names listed here. 

Indeed

I think, that Jon will become a third dragonrider (after Rhaego), his dragon will be Viseryon. Clues about this were given in AGOT, in several of Dany's chapters. And it will be Dany, who will slay a lie, that Jon is a bastard of Ned Stark. And the entire series will end with a wedding in a new city, that will be build after King's Landing will burn. That wedding will be either between Jon and Dany, or many years later, between Rhaego and daughter of Jon and Dany.

Everyone will know, that Jon is actually Rhaegar's son. He will be crowned as Aegon VII Targaryen (fAegon will be Aegon VI).

As I read the OP, the question is who would know about Jon's parentage before Jon makes this known.   Heck yah, Howland Reed certainly knows, but I doubt he's told a soul.   So that leaves the unknown number of unmentioned people at the TOJ when Lyanna gave birth.   A midwife, a wetnurse, a maester perhaps?   I imagine Bloodraven might have a clue.  Maybe not, but he could know if he wanted to know.   If Lyanna & Rhaegar's relationship was documented in the White Book (there were 3 Kingsguard at the TOJ, for crying out loud) or Citadel, a number of people have access to the knowledge.   This is a secret not many have access to.  But more than just Howland Reed.   

1 hour ago, Curled Finger said:

As I read the OP, the question is who would know about Jon's parentage before Jon makes this known.   Heck yah, Howland Reed certainly knows, but I doubt he's told a soul.   So that leaves the unknown number of unmentioned people at the TOJ when Lyanna gave birth.   A midwife, a wetnurse, a maester perhaps?   I imagine Bloodraven might have a clue.  Maybe not, but he could know if he wanted to know.   If Lyanna & Rhaegar's relationship was documented in the White Book (there were 3 Kingsguard at the TOJ, for crying out loud) or Citadel, a number of people have access to the knowledge.   This is a secret not many have access to.  But more than just Howland Reed.   

Sorry if I worded it weirdly, but I meant who do you think will know by the end of the last book. 

I think more than one person knows about this. 

But I think there are also enough people who might have bits and pieces of the story that they will be able to puzzle it out. As it happens, there are three people in Meereen who can do just that. Barristan Selmy if he survives the upcoming battle, traveled with Rhaegar to the Trident, is the one who as the new Lord commander would have written the last entries in the White Book for Dayne, Whent and Hightower. 

Jorah Mormont doesn't seem to believe that Rhaegar was a rapist if we go by him comparing Dany to Rhaegar. And he was in the north until essentially 5 years ago in the timeline. We know he traveled to Winterfell with Lynesse and even stayed there a fortnight, so there's a very good chance he came in contact with the children. 

Interestingly enough, if we put the Hightowers inside a timeline, we have Maester Walys with Rickard Stark as one of his counselors, Gerold Hightower at both the execution of the Rickard and Brandon, and later as one of Lyanna's protectors. What I find interesting is the way Lynesse entered the picture in the north. I think the Hightowers might have more than a clue and that Leyton Hightower saw an opening and took it.

Tyrion is also in Meereen. If anyone can help puzzle all of this out, I think it will be him. (funnily enough, by the time he meets Dany, he will be the only person in the books who will know her, Jon Snow and Aegon). 

I think Varys straight up knows and wanted Ned at the Wall because of that. There's an excellent chance that missing beyond the Wall Benjen knows and I doubt we have seen the last of him. The Daynes seem determined to perpetuate the Wylla lie. Although I do wonder if Ned's death changes anything for them. 

54 minutes ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

Barristan Selmy if he survives the upcoming battle, traveled with Rhaegar to the Trident, is the one who as the new Lord commander would have written the last entries in the White Book for Dayne, Whent and Hightower. 

So you think there is some kind of mention on Jon in the White Book? Personally I think if Barristan even gets to meet Jon he'd be the one to notice anything Targaryen about him, but I don't think he already knows. 

56 minutes ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

What I find interesting is the way Lynesse entered the picture in the north. I think the Hightowers might have more than a clue and that Leyton Hightower saw an opening and took it.

So you think Leyton allowed his daughter to marry into the North so that if Jon ever somehow became King their House would have some sort of connection to him?

57 minutes ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

I think Varys straight up knows and wanted Ned at the Wall because of that.

If Varys did know, what would sending Ned to the Wall achieve? Would it just be to tell Jon the truth?

Who do you think will know by the end of the last book? 

9 hours ago, Euron III Greyjoy said:

So you think there is some kind of mention on Jon in the White Book? Personally I think if Barristan even gets to meet Jon he'd be the one to notice anything Targaryen about him, but I don't think he already knows. 

No, I don't think Barristan has written anything about Jon. The last entries for Arthur, Gerold Hightower and Oswell Whent should be about the way they died, possibly why they died. 

It's an important starting point for anyone who is looking for the truth, I think. The breadcrumbs are there for anyone who wants to follow them.

So you think Leyton allowed his daughter to marry into the North so that if Jon ever somehow became King their House would have some sort of connection to him?

No. I think Leyton married his daughter off to Jorah (after he declined to marry her off into the very rich Lannister clan) because the opportunity presented itself and he wanted eyes in the north. And she was there for a handful of years, traveled to Winterfell, stayed at Winterfell, visited Oldtown. 

His uncle died far away from the Trident and King's Landing and did not go to Dragonstone to serve Viserys. And Ser Gerold was loyal and dutiful to a fault if we go by what Jaime said about him. I'd think that where he died, the manner of his dead and what he was doing when he died are questions that Leyton may have puzzled out long ago. 

The Daynes know something. Pretty sure the Hightowers know something too. 

If Varys did know, what would sending Ned to the Wall achieve? Would it just be to tell Jon the truth?

No. Not to tell him the truth. Benjen has gone missing (which I'm sure Varys was fully aware of), Jon was having a difficult time at the Wall. Ned was Jon's protector his whole life and he would have served in the same capacity once more after he took the black. Whether Ned would have told Jon the truth, he thinks about it, but we'll never know. 

On 4/26/2019 at 4:13 PM, Euron III Greyjoy said:

I'm not sure where or when we will see or hear about Darkstar again, but I think for some reason he is going to try and steal Dawn.

We will then learn about it from Areo or Doran and it will go something like @rotting sea cow reckoned. 

Areo: "Gerold Dayne has stolen Dawn and is proclaiming that Ned Starks bastard is none other than Aegon Targaryen, son of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark and the heir to the Iron Throne"

LOL

Or something similar. It could be done in a way where we never learn how Darkstar found out.

Maybe even a prologue with some throwaway character who reveals how Darkstar informed them?

29 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

All will be given to wonder when they see him mount Drogon.  Black always was his color. 

Drogon is Dany's. 

8 minutes ago, rotting sea cow said:

Dany will care

She might have soured on long lost nephews by that point. 

Archived