Why is nobody intimidated by the dragons?

Tyrion1991

One of the reasons I really liked the early seasons was that, mostly, you could understand the rational behind why people were fighting and for who. Before the Blackwater, the Lannister’s look like they are done and can’t scrape anything together. Then they win and suddenly they are swimming in allies whilst Stannis stews on Dragonstone. The Lords are betting on the winning horse and are fickle; which is a story in of itself.

This falls apart with Dany. She lands with 3 full grown dragons. These things can destroy cities and armies with near impunity. Generations have been born and raised with tales of Aegons Conquest. So, you would think three of them would sway some Lords to think “well, I think we’ll sit this one out” or even just outright declare for her. That it might dampen people’s insistence for independence.

Now I get it, the show doesn’t have a lot of scope and they aren’t going to devote time to lesser nobles sitting on the fence. But, you’d be forgiven for thinking that nobody in Westeros declared for Danny whilst everyone sided with Cersei. That doesn’t seem right. 

Also, Cersei’s plan placating their concerns? Even after it failed at the Battle? Really, none of the Lords got cold feet? Even when the army was outside Kings Landing?

What about Yara Greyjoy, Olenna Tyrell and Ellaria Sand? They all joined forces with Dany. The only lords we saw declare for Cersei were the ones assembled in the Throne Room with Randyll Tarly, and they all know what happened to Cersei's enemies in the Sept. We saw Randyll's attitude to Daenerys (she's a foreigner, and Cersei's not, so better the devil you know).

There's no Warden of the West, Riverrun was the Freys' but there are none left, we don't know what's happened to Edmure and the Stormlands are apparently ungoverned. The Vale is with the North - who else is left? Minor lordlings can't just declare for Dany if their lord doesn't.

4 minutes ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

"Dampen people's insistence for independence" 

Inch resting phrasing

"It was the dragons we bowed to" / Jon Umber.

People do, from we can tell, react to Daenerys having 3(2) large dragons with a surprising amount of "...meh".
Same with Jon's resurrection. "The guy we chose as KitN was resurrected from the dead? ...meh."

Just one more inconsistency in the show when it comes to people reacting to supernatural events.
At least we got a small glimpse of the small-folk reacting to her dragons in S8E1, which I appreciated that they didn't just sweep under the rug.
(Of course, the same event caused all the Dany-haters on the forum go "omg she's smirking while terrorising the small-folk, she's so evil"...)

Archived